News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one that sticks in my mind was the heckler who yelled "Fu*k off back home to China".

Wow. Just, wow. Again I didn't catch it during the live stream, only saw her expression, but yeah, something like that is seriously over the line.

This was while Chow mumbled and stumbled on her words for a straight minute amidst a crowd of constant boos. Was really something to watch. :(

I thought it wasn't good optics when Iola managed to interrupt Chow early on. I was hoping Chow would call out the rigged jeering to Doug's face right then and there. As it got uglier however, it makes me loathe Thug even more, and I didn't think that was possible. I don't agree or support many of Chow's past and proposed policies. But she did not deserve that.

So, I didn't watch tonight's debate, but reading the comments here, I gather the nation laid on a whole bunch of crazy. Am I wrong in thinking that's going to help Tory and hurt Chow insofar as the Anybody But Ford vote is going to swing harder JT's way?

I don't know that we ever determined the other letter was from Iola.

Here it is (I backscrolled through KWT's twitter). KWT says it's from a Ward 32 resident -- same postal code area as today's letter. Iola may have a friend mailing them for her, otherwise I don't think she lives in that area.

@kristynwongtam · Jul 15
Received a letter from Ward32 resident "To Kristyn of LGBT" calling me "racist' toward straight folks. #palmface

BsncRXVCEAACzll.jpg:large

Today's letter, definitely the same writing.
ByP9FEuIgAAzRDI.jpg

Them's the same.

And I think that is part is the bigger problem. Olivia is taking a beating because she is a female and she is not white. Combine that with the intimidation she must feel when placed beside bullies such as Rob or Doug. It is hard, especially for a tiny woman, to stand up to two much bigger and much louder and angrier men. Olivia by far has the best, most sensible (and I add economically as well) policies and positions in contrast to Ford or Tory but in this new world of Wrestmania\Monster Truck political insanity (added to a heaping dose of racism and sexism) rushed in by the classless thug Rob Ford Olivia does not stand a chance.

BTW, honest question is anyone else as afraid of some of the loons in Ford Nation? These are violent people.

I wouldn't venture into a room full of them. I'd feel like I was in a zombie movie waiting for them all to smell fresh meat.

how could he not win? he was on his home turf, with "ten rows of FN supporters"
https://twitter.com/ivortossell/status/514582457124130816

A lot of people left well before it was over, disgusted. So Doug preached to the converted, and the converted howled with delight; what does that prove? Tory and Chow should get medals just for showing up to this rigged shitshow.
Yeah, saying Doug won that debate is like saying the Insane Clown Posse won best band at the gathering of the juggalos over Taylor Swift and One Direction.

I might have missed it posted here... but, did anybody catch that StarashinCBC tweeted about David Price being there and heckling Tory from the wings? Eventually he was warned by the police to stop or be ejected!
I don't think we are going to get through this campaign without some sort of Ford Nation violence.

screw you, toronto - this is why you can't have nice things.

why the hell are candidates trying to 'zing' doug on the pride parade? that horse has been dead for ages. he's a corrupt, criminal, platform-less candidate with a hideous track record as counsellor trying to sleep-walk into his brother's job, and the best you can think to do is to grill on him on whether he'll march in pride?

what a mess.

How many people actually watch these debates? How much do they influence how people vote?

Not many, but these debates do get reported on - both on that night's news, and usually in the papers the next. I watched two news clips tonight - one on CBC and one on CTV, and they were just awful. All about Doug Ford, his first debate and his rowdy supporters. CTV showed one tiny clip from Tory re: pride, and nothing at all from Chow. Ugh.

So, I didn't watch tonight's debate, but reading the comments here, I gather the nation laid on a whole bunch of crazy. Am I wrong in thinking that's going to help Tory and hurt Chow insofar as the Anybody But Ford vote is going to swing harder JT's way?

I think the polls update CP24 keep broadcasting every 20 minutes showing Thug at ~30 are going to swing the electorate over to JT much more so than any single debate.

Well, I was out and missed the debate. I think I'm glad.

People sometimes vent here about their encounters with FN or sympathizers. I have a different kind of story.

I was at a social event tonight that had nothing to do with politics. I found myself in conversation with someone and mentioned something about the election - probably my curiosity about how the debate was going. We started talking about the election.

After one minute I realized he was really informed.

After two minutes I realized he was really sympatico.

After three minutes I realized he was a UT'er. LOL. There was no doubt in my mind. I asked and sure enough he is an avid lurker here, related to an active poster.

That was the first time I met one in the wild! :) Hopefully not the last. We need more UT'ers. Not that I'm biased or anything.

screw you, toronto - this is why you can't have nice things.

why the hell are candidates trying to 'zing' doug on the pride parade? that horse has been dead for ages. he's a corrupt, criminal, platform-less candidate with a hideous track record as counsellor trying to sleep-walk into his brother's job, and the best you can think to do is to grill on him on whether he'll march in pride?

what a mess.
I agree, but my take on it in terms of Chow's and Tory's comparatively timid rebuttals is that they're simply not accustomed to debating - and facing crowds filled with - just utter, unmitigated lowlife scum. It is throwing both of them off their games. Politics has some vile characters, but how often do you see this sort of brutish, Neanderthalian behaviour in politics? I would argue rarely. Almost all politicians, even despicable ones (e.g., Harper), have a semblance of diplomacy and restraint in their comportment. Almost all are relatively educated, and were brought up to convey a sense of manners and decorum. Not the Fords and their diehard supporters. The comparison with professional wrestling, and goons throwing their weight around and growling trash-talk, is not inapt.

I agree, but my take on it in terms of Chow's and Tory's comparatively timid rebuttals is that they're simply not accustomed to debating - and facing crowds filled with - just utter, unmitigated lowlife scum. It is throwing both of them off their games. Politics has some vile characters, but how often do you see this sort of brutish, Neanderthalian behaviour in politics? I would argue rarely. Almost all politicians, even despicable ones (e.g., Harper), have a semblance of diplomacy and restraint in their comportment. Almost all are relatively educated, and were brought up to convey a sense of manners and decorum. Not the Fords and their diehard supporters. The comparison with professional wrestling, and goons throwing their weight around and growling trash-talk, is not inapt.

I wonder if Jesse Ventura is available to be moderator for a debate? If someone actually gave him a call, I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted.

I'd love to see how he'd handle Doug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back