News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Global's poll had over 51% of "over 10,000" respondents saying they'd vote for Ford again.

You mean the opinion on UrbanToronto isn't representative of most Torontonians? What?!? I thought 100% of people hated Ford according to this place.

I'm very anti-Ford but in a Ford v. Chow contest I would have a hard time reconciling my desire to see Ford out of office with my desire to not have a card-carrying member of the NDP establishment as mayor.

Careful....that's exactly the kind of dogmatic thinking (voting) that got something as monumentally stupid as Rob Ford elected in the first place.

I guess what I'm asking is is there a chance that Ford files an appeal based on one particular aspect of the case, and the court simply says "that isn't sufficient grounds for an appeal, go away"? Or does the court have to listen to his appeal, no matter how baseless it is?

That's a big question for me right now too. There's a number of legal questions up in the air right now. Cases can be thrown out of court, so why not appeals?

I'm not worried about a successful appeal....just as this verdict was a foregone conclusion (Ford's own actions/mouth blew any slim chance of the judge using his discretion to find him not guilty), there's no chance an appeal would ever overturn the ruling. ZERO So what's the point of appealing?

It's the stay that I'm worried about....let's him stay in office until the appeal process is over.

I say let him appeal...just don't give him the stay.

Let's not forget, his campaign financing court case is still in the pipeline, and the getting staff to place a priority on his firm's property is arguably another case that can be brought to the integrity commissioner for another lashing. Personally this case is IMO peanuts compared to those two.

AoD

who's responsible for the $6 million libel lawsuit btw if Frod loses?
i hope the city and taxpayers aren't responsible for him flapping his lips.

Question: Assuming Ford files an appeal (which he certainly will), does he have to state on what grounds while he files it? And does the court reserve the right to deny the grounds of the appeal before the case is even heard? Or does a file for appeal automatically mean it gets heard in trial?

I guess what I'm asking is is there a chance that Ford files an appeal based on one particular aspect of the case, and the court simply says "that isn't sufficient grounds for an appeal, go away"? Or does the court have to listen to his appeal, no matter how baseless it is?

I was also curious and found out. Ford will be allowed to ask for an appeal but it may or may not be granted. Given the simplicity of the ruling -- and it is an open and shut case if you look at it objectively -- there's a real chance that the Divisional Court will dismiss the appeal.

Unless there's some new information that the defense failed to include in the original hearing, they don't have much of a case for appeal. The panel would just have to review Hackland's ruling for innacuracies or any item open to interpretation that the Divisional Court would disagree with.

If you read the ruling, there isn't a lot of opinion in there -- at least where it counts for reaching a verdict. It was mostly based on research of the laws and exceptions involved and statements made by Ford in cross examination.

As much as I want this to be over so we can move on ASAP, I would prefer that they hear his appeal though I don't think they should stay the sentence because the ruling was so straight forward and well argued. Let council install a temporary Mayor (Doug Holyday) pending the appeals hearing and let Ford have his day in appeals court

who's responsible for the $6 million libel lawsuit btw if Frod loses?
i hope the city and taxpayers aren't responsible for him flapping his lips.

Also, who's responsible for these court costs? In the ruling, the judge requests court costs to be disclosed to the losing party. Does that mean that Ford has to pay? And if so, who pays? The City?

Josh Matlow's letter to his constituents

Councillor Matlow's statement on Mayor Ford's removal from office

Dear residents,

As many of you will have already heard, Mayor Rob Ford was found guilty today of violating the Municipal Conflict Of Interest Act and was ordered to be removed from office in 14 days. You can read the entirety of the judge's decision here. This is certainly an unprecedented moment in Toronto's history.

This decision has created an uncertain situation at City Hall. Next steps will depend on the success of the Mr. Ford's appeal and, if successful, the length of the ensuing court process. If his appeal is not granted or ultimately unsuccessful, Council will have two options regarding a replacement; Council can call a by-election or make an appointment. Given that it is only half way through this term of Council, I will be supporting a by-election if the issue is resolved relatively soon. However, if the matter remains unresolved due to an appeals process for a considerable length of time, I will support an interim appointment until the 2014 election.

In an ideal situation, the Mayor of Toronto would provide the city with strong leadership and a clear vision on substantive municipal issues. Aside from a few notable exceptions, Mr. Ford's term of office has sadly been a constant sideshow of litigation, gaffes, and a distracting focus on high school football. This circus, no matter who our mayor is, must come to an end. In the absence of constructive participation from Mr. Ford, I have been working with my colleagues on Council in a non-partisan manner over the past two years to focus on Toronto's priorities including expanding transit, reducing gridlock, improving the planning process, heritage preservation, beautifying our neighbourhoods, jobs and economic development and making progress on many other issues that I know are important to you.

Our city should not be divided for political purposes between left and right or downtown and suburbs- together, we are all residents of Toronto.

Whether the mayor is granted an appeal, or a new leader for Toronto is chosen, I will continue to work with you and with members of Council on your behalf, to move our city forward. I hope that Council, regardless of who is mayor, will make decisions for our city based on evidence and the merits of arguments, rather than blind ideology and divisive politics. And ultimately, with respect to conflict of interest legislation, each member of Council must simply follow the rules.

Sincerely,

Josh

As the above testimony proves, this city has effectively been operating without a mayor for quite some time now anyway.

It also clearly points out that the side-show that is Rob Ford has been wasting far too much of our valuable time, and it has taken its toll on our elected councillors regardless of their political spectrum.

Something about Matlow always rubs me the wrong way. He has this 'holier than thou' attitude that comes off far more subtle than Mamo, but I detect it nonetheless.

I have no idea what to expect the next few weeks. But I think it will get ugly. The last vestiges of Ford Nation will not go down without a fight. Hell, their media puppets at Sun Media will be littered with pro-Ford op-eds tomorrow.

It would be far more satisfying for Ford to go down in flames in the polls. But I completely understand that the judge had no other option. Let's pray this comes to a quick ending someway, somehow.

I was also curious and found out. Ford will be allowed to ask for an appeal but it may or may not be granted. Given the simplicity of the ruling -- and it is an open and shut case if you look at it objectively -- there's a real chance that the Divisional Court will dismiss the appeal.

Unless there's some new information that the defense failed to include in the original hearing, they don't have much of a case for appeal. The panel would just have to review Hackland's ruling for innacuracies or any item open to interpretation that the Divisional Court would disagree with.

If you read the ruling, there isn't a lot of opinion in there -- at least where it counts for reaching a verdict. It was mostly based on research of the laws and exceptions involved and statements made by Ford in cross examination.

As much as I want this to be over so we can move on ASAP, I would prefer that they hear his appeal though I don't think they should stay the sentence because the ruling was so straight forward and well argued. Let council install a temporary Mayor (Doug Holyday) pending the appeals hearing and let Ford have his day in appeals court

Thanks for digging!

Yes, I have the same opinion when it comes to Ford's appeal. Let him appeal and have his day in front of the appeals court, just don't let him stay in office while he's waiting. Think of it as suspended without pay.

If Ford's appeal is denied outright, I can see his supporters crying foul, and him maybe even gaining a few back with his "everybody is against me" attitude. If the court allows him to appeal, but the 'eviction' stands pending the result of that appeal, I think it will be a way to satisfy those on both sides of the coin.

Then of course he can lose the appeal and be out for good, without having to turn council into a circus all over again in 4 to 6 months.

If he does lose the appeal though, can the appeals court slap a stiffer penalty on him? Like for example a ban from running for a couple years? Or does the appeals court need to stick with the original sentence?

It would be far more satisfying for Ford to go down in flames in the polls.

Really?

I think being booted out in disgrace...a dishonourable discharge is far more fitting.

The added bonus for me, is that I get to hear low-brow Ford nation types who can't contain their anger slobber on about how what a sad day for "democracy" it is, and how the "will of the people" has been subverted by the "left". I actually tuned in to that News-talk right wing show just toi listen to them. I haven't had that much fun since I used to watch Jim and Tammy Faye Baker on the telly. ha ha ha

You humans...you really are a bunch of primates.

Also, who's responsible for these court costs? In the ruling, the judge requests court costs to be disclosed to the losing party. Does that mean that Ford has to pay? And if so, who pays? The City?

someone from the city should tally up all the money spent on defending him ...
that's alot of gravy and not much respect for the taxpayers; but of course it's the leftie pinkos fault for all this.

From the CTV story:

Mammoliti told reporters Monday he was inundated with calls from constituents urging him to leave the mayor’s inner circle.

If that's true (and who knows), then it's a sign that Ford's ouster is not causing an upswell in support for Ford.

I didn't see 'thumbs' Mammoliti on any of the news stations with his talking points, also there was a notable absence of Minnan-Wong. Everyone knew Ford would be found guilty, no shock there at all, what no one knew was if he would be punished and if so what the punishment handed down would be so everyone on Council was pretty much prepared for today's ruling.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford ordered removed from office: More reaction...

How does the Sun get away with shit like this?

1297344371359_ORIGINAL.jpg

What's missing?

From Reuters and Yahoo! News: http://news.yahoo.com/toronto-mayor-ordered-removed-office-154740901.html

MM: Thanks to everyone here at UT I have learned about Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and his rough relationship
with Toronto's citizens...I want to ask if there are ever any polls taken about his popularity among Toronto's
citizens and if so how is/was he doing? I understand that this is Canada but can we call this an impeachment?

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back