News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually didn't see the fuss about the golf comment. I mean (a) it's equally good (or bad) advice for a man or woman; and (b) there's no good answer to that question.

Q: what's the best way for women to climb up the corporate ladder
A: have sex with your boss (sexist); -- work harder (what? are you saying women don't work hard? or that they should have to work harder than a man for the same pay? sexist); -- be more forceful in asking for raises and promotions (what? we are asking for them, and you sexist pigs aren't giving them to us?); -- run amok in the office with a shot gun and get rid of your rivals (errrm... what?)

It really is similar to "does this make me look fat?" you can't win.

Actually, you can win. All the answers you proposed involve individual actions by women/people of colour. But that ignores the systemic nature of discrimination. So here's an example of what winning that question might look like:

Q: what's the best way for women/people of colour to climb up the corporate ladder?
A: Work for a company that recognizes the systemic nature of discrimination and consciously and actively redresses it in the workplace.

If Doug loses maybe we should have a pub night in December to mark the end of Fords reign.

Wheeeeeeee! I'm in.

ETA: But if by some miracle of wtf Doug actually wins, we should probably make it the night after the election.

Last edited:
Alpha_Doug_n_Alpha_Dawg.gif

Attachments

• Alpha_Doug_n_Alpha_Dawg.gif
    Alpha_Doug_n_Alpha_Dawg.gif
    680.3 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Kouvalis has been quieter on Twitter lately--not his cocky self. Think it means anything? He getting worried about Doug?
He's winning. He has nothing to gain by drawing attention to himself. And besides, he's got all his other twitter personas to keep him busy.

Actually, you can win. All the answers you proposed involve individual actions by women/people of colour. But that ignores the systemic nature of discrimination. So here's an example of what winning that question might look like:

Q: what's the best way for women/people of colour to climb up the corporate ladder?
A: Work for a company that recognizes the systemic nature of discrimination and consciously and actively redresses it in the workplace.

well that's a good answer, but not terribly practical. when it's coming up on month #6 of you emailing resumes, going to interviews and waiting for that one that pans out into an offer... with your savings getting to the end of the barrel and you wondering if you'll have to take cash off your credit card soon for rent -- you will take just about any job that's offered to you & not be too picky.

Even if you go from a less desperate position (searching for a better job while already employed), it can be tough. Took me 2 years to leave a place I hated; less time to go to interviews and job search when you're already working full-time. Plus the fear of getting caught by your boss. Plus the fear of leaving a place where you have built up some seniority to go somewhere new -- where you can be let go for no reason at all during the probationary period because they just "feel like you're not working out" (or they had a budget reassessment and realized they have to cut staff, or whatever).

You don't always get to choose where you work. And the downsizing/bottom-line driven society we live in means most of us live in ridiculous, unhealthy, obsessive fear of losing our jobs. But that's another conversation for another thread.

I went to see my parents for Thanksgiving today and in addition to lots of Norm Kelly and Shelly Carroll signs, there were non-partisan ones that were pro-subway/anti-LRT.

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
"That's just a cheap shot" Doug Ford on today's Globe and Mail story on Deco

So which one is the one you mean Dougie:

Cheap shot n.
- An unfair or unsporting verbal attack on a vulnerable target.
- (in sports) A blow, shove, or tackle maliciously directed against an opponent who is defenseless or off guard.
- A mean or unsportsmanlike remark or action, esp. one directed at a defenseless or vulnerable person.

Me thinks Dougie has shown his petticoats again.

OK next Doug will be reported to call The Globe and its swanky Report on Business "elitist" with its TSE and its Dow Jones, and discriminates against medium-sized enterprise, like yur real folks bidnis.

Business Columnist Joe Worms will be seconded to the Sun business section to talk up Deco.

3-2-1 ...

Last edited:
I just assumed they were referring to a couple of random on-duty cops in the area, rather than surveillance cops.

I'm with Les N and dforth; no way that's random. DECO is on a dead-end street with no residents or stores, just business industrial. not likely that police are just passing by everyday.

And then you see a guy carrying a scale and a garbage bag... well, sure, kinda weird, but how do you leap to "drugs" from just those two items? And then think that you have the right to chase him and enter a private business (without a warrant) just to confirm your suspicions?? Maybe that's why nothing ever came of the incident. Apart from not seizing the bag, the whole thing might have been dropped since the officers' entry to DECO premises would never hold up in court. I don't think the rules of "in plain sight" or "pursuit" apply.

too bad there was not any Twitter or Facebook in 1994 so we could find some posts or "chatter" about this incident when it happened. it's times like these I wish I had hacking skills. ;)

Is there an international tax/criminal lawyer in the house?
What are the consequences of having FBAR declarations that are found to have "shady" assets tied to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back