News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is "theoretically possible" but unlikely - two of the examples given in the article were Czech Jews - i.e. Central European Jews, where they were much more assimilated and conversion was more common. It was practically unheard of in Bukovina a century ago, from where Karla's alleged "Jewish" ancestors hailed.

Peter C. Newman is a Czech Jew who came to Canada with his family in 1940 - and a Catholic priest actually did a "conversion" for the family, knowing that this was just to help them flee the country and not a true embrace of Catholicism.

Last edited:
Yep, and unfortunately what we have, Metrolinx, ain't that, and until we can all we can do is work with what we have. We need a "Transportation Tsar" so to speak to head up an (semi)autonomous transit conglomerate.

At this point I'll settle for a transportation despot.

A hybrid system is about as far as you can go starting from here. Let every city keep their transit systems (if they want to), but place operational decisions like routing, frequency and fares policy (along with fare collection) in the hands of Metrolinx. The local agencies then contract with Metrolinx to provide buses/LRT/subways on a cost-recovery basis (or cost less municipal subsidies). With the money flowing into and out of a single party you end up with a tfl-type scenario where the central agency contracts bus routes to private operators, but in this case the operators would be municipal (or potentially a public/private mix). Freed from petty city-level politics Metrolinx would then have the power to implement fully integrated transit.

But fuck it if "a subway in every icebox" isn't an easier sell.

Last edited:
Again with attended. Based on the degree to which Rob "attended" Carleton (and let's be clear, Doug AND Build TO webmaster, Carleton has an E in !), I'm guessing he has neither a diploma nor a degree, though I'm happy to stand to be corrected. If he's a "self-made man," that's all fine and good, but it's rather shifty to say you "attended" some school if you didn't graduate.

I mostly grew up in Ottawa, where my dad was a prof at Carleton at the time. A number of my stoner friends in high school dropped out before Grade 13 and, in some cases, before finishing Grade 12. The game was simple for the bright ones: leave high school and get a job, supplemented by some dope dealing. Then, when you hit 20, you could start university as a part-time mature student. Oddly, a number of these folks ended up worked for the federal government at the time, especially CRA when it did temp hiring around tax season.

I mostly grew up in Ottawa, where my dad was a prof at Carleton at the time. A number of my stoner friends in high school dropped out before Grade 13 and, in some cases, before finishing Grade 12. The game was simple for the bright ones: leave high school and get a job, supplemented by some dope dealing. Then, when you hit 20, you could start university as a part-time mature student. Oddly, a number of these folks ended up worked for the federal government at the time, especially CRA when it did temp hiring around tax season.

Carleton also had a strategy of harvesting revenue from no-hope students. Accept anyone as a first year student, collect their fees and the federal government's subsidy and then fail them out after a term or two. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course, this behaviour could easily misconstrued if you were an aspiring football player who had to drop out to help run the struggling family business.

He was right about the unfairness of the Catholic only school funding, too bad he went about it the wrong way. He should have proposed the complete opposite of what he did: merge the public and Catholic systems into a single secular system and leave religious education to private schools. I honestly think that any party leader who proposes that would have the support of most of the population.

Constitutionally entrenched law is a big Canadian bugaboo. It's like treaty rights. Some consider it sacred trust between the government and the Catholic population. And yes he was right to question dual systems. I always want to scream when I hear "his religious schools moment" as a reference to a failure. No wonder they all lie at election time. We can't handle the truth! (Casita clip?) Still not a Tory fan.Jon Stewart has Bill O'Reilly on and he's trying to get him to admit there is such a thing as white privilege. This weeks meme?

Last edited:
It is "theoretically possible" but unlikely - two of the examples given in the article were Czech Jews - i.e. Central European Jews, where they were much more assimilated and conversion was more common. It was practically unheard of in Bukovina a century ago, from where Karla's alleged "Jewish" ancestors hailed.

Peter C. Newman is a Czech Jew who came to Canada with his family in 1940 - and a Catholic priest actually did a "conversion" for the family, knowing that this was just to help them flee the country and not a true embrace of Catholicism.

My wife's background is Russian Orthodox. ( Our wedding was straight out of "Deer Hunter". ) I think Doug may have heard the word "Orthodox" and conveniently remembered, "My wife is Jewish" after he got himself into a political jam with Ari.

According to Mrs. Ford, "It was always kept hush-hush." Until now, that is. Says she's not even sure if her great-grandmother practiced "Jude-ism".

As far as what went down in the Old World? "What happened in Vegas stays in Vegas" is my philosophy.

Or as James Elroy put it, "We popped our cherry on the boat over and looked back with no regrets."

Last edited:
ddale8 11:49pm via Twitter Web Client
New Toronto election poll (Forum): John Tory 39%, Doug Ford 33%, Olivia Chow 23%. Details online/in the Star tomorrow.

That means if you put 25 random Torontonians in a room, Tory would only have a one-person lead over Ford (9 to 8). Not very inspiring.

Constitutionally entrenched law is a big Canadian bugaboo. It's like treaty rights. Some consider it sacred trust between the government and the Catholic population.

Tell that to Manitoba and Newfoundland. The Constitution gets amended all the time, and since this topic only involves Ontario you don't need the consent of any other provinces. One referendum and you're done.

Tell that to Manitoba and Newfoundland. The Constitution gets amended all the time, and since this topic only involves Ontario you don't need the consent of any other provinces. One referendum and you're done.

Oh I'm all for a single system or a multi system.what we are doing is ridiculously expensive.

"The word you won't ever hear me say is 'pussy,' " said Doug Ford in an interview Wednesday. "I mean, pussy---that's just terrible. Pussy is a disgusting word and only a degenerate would even utter it out loud."

stephen-harper-kitten1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back