8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Toronto council should appoint Rob Ford to replace Rob Ford

There are two good reasons why council should NOT appoint Rob Ford to replace Rob Ford

1: Council has previously passed a bylaw that states any interim mayor must be chosen from an elected member of council. Rob Ford will not qualify if and when this scenario becomes reality.

2: Rob Ford is a terrible mayor. Why would council appoint someone to a job whom they already know is terrible at the job?

It is my opinion that not banning him from running in the future goes against the nature of why judges show leniency when doling out minimum sentences.

Did Rob Ford show remorse for his wrongdoing? No...in fact he still thinks his definition of "conflict of interest" trumps the leg definition.

Is he likely to re-offend? Does a bear shit in the woods?

In other words, he should have had the maximum penalty...not the minimum.

I don't like this drawn-out farce. You deal with cockroaches by stomping on them while the stomping is good.

Why was the punishment a surprise? It was the only choice of punishment for a guilty finding.

In retrospect, I don't disagree but let's just say that it was a surprise to me at the time. I thought at best that he would be barred from running again and fined as punishment but allowed to complete his term. My understanding is that Judges generally don't like to rule so harshly against elected figures.

Last edited:
For someone who has too much to do to read the details of the ruling (but enough time to procrastinate on message boards, go fig eh?), was the Council vote for the money to be given back to the donaters from the charity itself, or from Ford's own pockets? I have a family friend who teaches law, and he believes that he may be able to overturn based on the financial gain clause. While I initially disagreed, and still do, if the money was to be returned from the charity and not his bank account could he claim this technicality?

For someone who has too much to do to read the details of the ruling (but enough time to procrastinate on message boards, go fig eh?), was the Council vote for the money to be given back to the donaters from the charity itself, or from Ford's own pockets? I have a family friend who teaches law, and he believes that he may be able to overturn based on the financial gain clause. While I initially disagreed, and still do, if the money was to be returned from the charity and not his bank account could he claim this technicality?

Ford had to pay the money back personally. Initially he was asked to return the donations but Ford claimed the money had been spent.

City Council then passed the Integrity Commissioner's recomendation that Ford himself pay the money back because he used his office to solicit the donations. There was indeed a financial gain on Ford's part.

This has already been settled by Justice Hackland. Ford is convicted, his opportunity to remain innocent until proven guilty has passed. The reverse is now true. Ford is guilty unless he can prove to the Divisional Court panel that he is innocent. The onus is on him to do so and for that he'll have to prove that Justice Hackland somehow missed something important that could affect the ruling. Odds are pretty much nil in this open and shut case.

Ford had to pay the money back personally. Initially he was asked to return the donations but Ford claimed the money had been spent.

City Council then passed the Integrity Commissioner's recomendation that Ford himself pay the money back because he used his office to solicit the donations. There was indeed a financial gain on Ford's part.

This has already been settled by Justice Hackland. Ford is convicted, his opportunity to remain innocent until proven guilty has passed. The reverse is now true. Ford is guilty unless he can prove to the Divisional Court panel that he is innocent. The onus is on him to do so and for that he'll have to prove that Justice Hackland somehow missed something important that could affect the ruling. Odds are pretty much nil in this open and shut case.

That's what I assumed. If he was to pay the money back personally, then he doesn't even have that to stand on. I'm wondering if I should become a religious man, cause the way this has worked out from Ford's buffoonery, to the specifics of the vote, to the way the law was written it is as if a miracle has happened!

A gem of a comment from the Toronto Sun. Mental gymnastics!

Originally Posted by Rightzone
The reason Miller didn't have the daily thrusting of knives in his back is because he and his lefty pals knew how to work the system, knew all the little gotcha clauses, knew all the right people to make things happen his way (he would approve of a Paul Madger on the sidelines). Ford, in contrast, innocently muddles though his day much like my old Labrador Retriever - good natured, honest, often clumsy, but always loyal (read taxpayers). I'll take a bumbling yellow lab over a weasel anyday.
Also- consesus-building is weaseleze!

Interesting re that particular Sun quote. After all, while some may beg to differ (tee-hee, chuckle), Ford's a person, not a dumb animal.

Which makes me think: I discovered lately than a person close to the family w/cat-lady tendencies is also a heavy-duty Ford supporter--like, Ford's the sort who appeals to those who are in much more of a comfort zone with pets than with people, probably because pets "don't talk back"L they're the ultimate Stepford Spouses, you don't get into political discussions or ideological arguments w/them, etc...

Is there any timeline available for when we might expect a ruling involving Ford's cases with the Boardwalk Pub or his campaign audit?

Is there any timeline available for when we might expect a ruling involving Ford's cases with the Boardwalk Pub or his campaign audit?

I think mid January to early February was the expected time to hear a ruling... however, there are bigger fish to fry within that timeline now. I'm not sure if the libel trial judge would delay his ruling while Ford is in the middle of appealing another case. Maybe we could cut some judicial gravy and have all his trials at once.

The hash tag on Twitter in September was #fordcourt. Last month it was #fordcourt2. I wonder what number we'll get up to in the new year.

I think mid January to early February was the expected time to hear a ruling... however, there are bigger fish to fry within that timeline now. I'm not sure if the libel trial judge would delay his ruling while Ford is in the middle of appealing another case. Maybe we could cut some judicial gravy and have all his trials at once.

The hash tag on Twitter in September was #fordcourt. Last month it was #fordcourt2. I wonder what number we'll get up to in the new year.

by end of 2013 #10

The campaign audit is nearly complete. If it weren't for the holidays, we'd probably hear something in a few weeks. It looks set for early next year.

While this scenario is very unlikely, what a sweet shadenford it would be if Ford got booted from office for conflict of interest, then Ford Nation somehow managed to re-elect him in a by-election and then Rob was booted again for cheating on his campaign financing. lol I wonder if then people would learn but there are so many unlikely checkpoints on the way to that scenario. A successful appeal, re-election, and timing for campaign audit hearing would all have to fall into place perfectly.

When Ford won, I prepared myself for a 4 year run so another 2 years of Ford Failures while Council takes over complete control would be a good way to spend the time. Time goes fast while you're having fun. :rolleyes:

I discovered lately than a person close to the family w/cat-lady tendencies is also a heavy-duty Ford supporter--like, Ford's the sort who appeals to those who are in much more of a comfort zone with pets than with people, probably because pets "don't talk back"L they're the ultimate Stepford Spouses, you don't get into political discussions or ideological arguments w/them, etc...

Interesting theory - I guess - but hellishly torturous logic. Looks like it's built on a weak, purely anecdotal foundation. Geez man, put some science into it. Bad reasoning will only serve to help the Ford cause.

While this scenario is very unlikely, what a sweet shadenford it would be if Ford got booted from office for conflict of interest, then Ford Nation somehow managed to re-elect him in a by-election and then Rob was booted again for cheating on his campaign financing. lol I wonder if then people would learn but there are so many unlikely checkpoints on the way to that scenario. A successful appeal, re-election, and timing for campaign audit hearing would all have to fall into place perfectly

While I agree that this scenario has a certain juicy appeal, the colossal amount of time wasted - on top of the leadership void we've already witnessed (with Canada's largest city still spinning its otherwise mighty wheels in spectacularly pointless fashion) - more or less puts the kibosh on the whole thing.

Let's just get a new mayor ASAP - hopefully an effective one.

Terence Corcoran: After Rob Ford’s court victory, expect a cold winter for the Toronto Spring

Terence Corcoran, National Post Staff | Dec 6, 2012 11:35 AM ET | Last Updated: Dec 6, 2012 3:03 PM ET

The Toronto Spring movement’s revolutionary plot to overthrow Mayor Rob Ford lost momentum Wednesday after an Ontario Superior Court judge ruled that Mr. Ford can stay in power until his alleged conflict of interest case is reviewed by an appeal court. So now the left has to regroup and set up camp some distance from city hall, like a lost Occupy movement, pending an appeal that won’t be heard until early next year.

It is conventional wisdom on the streets and among the commentariat that Mr. Ford will lose the appeal. On the ideological barricades, it is a given that Mr. Ford cannot overcome the legal wisdom in Justice Charles Hackland’s Nov. 26 finding that Mr. Ford is guilty of breaching the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act (MCIA), and must be removed from office.

At The Globe and Mail, Marcus Gee wrote: “My guess: He loses his appeal.” In the National Post, Jonathan Goldsbie said “no knowledgeable expert” has offered a “legally sound” explanation of why Mr. Ford might win an appeal, aside from “anonymous lawyers.” That’s not true, but more later.

Mr. Ford’s lawyer, Alan Lenczner, outlined his grounds for appeal in court Wednesday. I wasn’t there, but based on an outline of his arguments, the facts in the original decision and comments from outside lawyers lead me to the conclusion that Toronto Spring will be out in the cold through the winter and beyond.

Let’s begin with the charge, which was based on the fact that on Feb. 7. 2012 Mayor Ford did in full council meeting speak and vote on a motion to rescind an earlier resolution that ordered him to repay $3,150 to contributors who donated to the local football charity bearing his name.

The judge ruled that by speaking and voting on the resolution, Mr. Ford violated the provincial MCIA. On this point alone the case looks shaky.

The act states that a council member “shall not take part in the discussion of, or vote on any question” where a member has any “pecuniary interest in” the matter. Since Mr. Ford sort of seemed to have a pecuniary interest in the matter — the $3,150 he was ordered to repay — the judge ruled that he had broken the law and therefore his council seat “should be declared vacant,” as provided in the act.

Case closed, say Mr. Ford’s political opponents. Not so fast. For starters, the MCIA itself is obviously aimed at preventing politicians from debating and voting on serious matters or decisions — say, a downtown re-zoning or the awarding of $100-million contracts to replace the city’s computer systems — that might produce personal financial gain.

The act is clearly aimed at corporate corruption. A councillor should not vote on such matters if he has an interest indirectly as a “shareholder in” or “director of” a corporation. Nor should he vote if he is a “controlling shareholder” of a corporation or “is a partner of a person or is in the employment of a person or body that has a pecuniary interest in the matter.”

The act, by the biggest of stretches, has no reasonable application to the Ford situation.

Paul Daly, associate law professor at the University of Montreal, says the MCIA is clearly not aimed at a Ford situation. The act, he said in an interview, is there to “prevent politicians from awarding contracts to their buddies, or making secret profits off the backs of taxpayers. That’s what you’re really worried about.” Mr. Daly adds, in a post on his Administrative Law Matters blog, that “objectively speaking, Ford simply did not have a ‘pecuniary interest’ which would justify depriving him of his right to speak and vote.”

Even the trial judge agreed that “there was absolutely no issue of corruption or pecuniary gain” on Mr. Ford’s part, a comment that — significantly — was repeated Wednesday by Superior Court Justice Gladys Pardu when she allowed Mr. Ford to stay in office until the appeal.

Furthermore, the $3,150 imbedded in council resolutions is an artificial pecuniary interest fabricated by other council members mostly to set Rob Ford up for embarrassment back in 2010. Then a councillor, Mr. Ford had used council stationary to solicit donations to his high school football charity — something he has admitted was “a mistake.”

Mischievous anti-Ford council members adopted the city Integity Commissioner’s recommendation to make Mr. Ford “reimburse” the $3,150 contributed by local businesses to the football charity. Under the City of Toronto Act, however, council had no authority to make any such order. Council can only punish Mr. Ford by either issuing a reprimand or by suspending Mr. Ford’s remuneration “for a period of up to 90 days.”

In other words: The council resolution ordering repayment was beyond council’s power to either impose or collect. That means the pecuniary interest that Mayor Ford is said to have voted on illegally was procedural fiction.

Mr. Daly at the University of Montreal says he believes Judge Hackland’s “interpretive approach does not properly take account of context and the purposes” of the MCIA. He adds that an appeal court will look at the original intent of the conflict of interest act and the Code of Conduct. “If [Judge Hackland] didn’t take into account the purpose of the statute, that would allow [an appeal court] to overturn his decision. If [an appeal court] thought it was wrong for city council to impose the sanction in the first place, they will overturn his decision.”

My guess: Ford wins his appeal — and the Toronto Spring movement runs out of movement.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/1...-expect-a-cold-winter-for-the-toronto-spring/

Last edited:
This article is grasping at straws to please the NP's right leaning readership. I'm ok with difference of opinion but this article's entire premise is based on the fact that Justice Hackland, an Ontario Supreme Court Justice doesn't know the law and doesn't know what he's talking about. Hmm.. I think he would know better than a staff writer at a paper. Hackland's ruling resoundingly shot down all of Ford's defence arguments.

The cost of a byelection is now estimated at $9million. Number of years of savings from Ford not spending a $50,000 councilor office expense account necessary to pay the cost of a byelection: 180. Number of years of all 44 councilors spending 520,000 less on their office expenses necessary to pay for the byelection: 10.2. Number of years of 42 councilors spending $20,000 less and two Fords spending zero dollars: 9.5.

Please appoint someone. Maybe hard to do after so many on council have so enthusiastically speculated on running for mayor. But to save the cash they should appoint Holyday, or better yet Parker since he hasn't entirely spent the last two years being a Rob Ford apologist and is aware that the year isn't 1972. Either person would continue the conservative approach that voters chose when they elected Ford, and both would bring manners and respect for the process that would give us a total contrast to Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back