News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bull...I'm telling you that was exactly the experience of my ancestors not dark complexion but political alliance....

It's still not the primary meaning of 'Black Irish' - that is universally understood as referring to appearance and predates your grandmother's ancestors' situation.

I think a similar meaning of the term to yours may be referenced here, Greg Banks, on p. 2 http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/who-were-the-black-irish-92376439-237784721.html#

But clear from the article that there are a number of uses and this is not the usage generally understood (outside that sector in Ireland, at least). Salient quote:

"The term "Black Irish" has also been applied to the descendants of Irish emigrants who settled in the West Indies. It was also used in Ireland by Catholics in Ulster Province as a derogatory term to describe the Protestant Planters.

...It is unlikely that the exact origin of the term will ever be known and it is also likely that it has had a number of different iterations, depending on the historical context. It remains therefore a descriptive term used for many purposes, rather than a reference to an actual class of people who may have survived the centuries."

Thanks again to all debating - has been interesting and slightly gut-churning research, particularly the IRA/PRA/INLA etc. portion. (Relevance to Rob Ford's Toronto - none, I sincerely hope!)

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 1.25.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 1.25.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 1.25.22 PM.png
    35 KB · Views: 736
So that's why Rob has his drivers license addressed to his mom's place?

Good question.

Not new, but I just noticed that on page 28 of the ITO, Ford's driver's license address is 15 Weston Wood Road. Not his house, but Diane's. I realise that's common practice, but at his age shouldn't he list his own address?

"You must tell the Ministry of Transportation within six days of changing your name or address."
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section4.4.0.shtml

#camwooley

Last edited:
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 7m7 minutes ago
Olivia Chow is holding a press conference tomorrow to announce that John Tory is...a conservative

Is she even trying anymore?

I still haven't got a voter card in the mail for some reason, just the one telling me where to vote in advance.

'Green Irish'?

Again it maybe a term familar to only me and mine nevertheless here goes...If you have an Irish background you probably can explain it using other terms
It goes back to the troubles of the 19th and early 20th century....three colours
Green Irish...Irish Catholics loyal to Dublin and Independance
Orange Irish...Ulster Protestants and all that goes with it
Black Irish...Irish Catholics who viewed Britain as a help rather than an occupier (the Greens looked on them as quislings) and many them immigrated to Canada (witness the Black Donnellys)[/QUOTE]

I've always known about the green and orange ( old Irish rover records) but I thought the black irish was about those who had black hair and white skin instead of red hair and freckles. Who knew?

A little off topic but this article in the Star about dumping of toxic dirt is interesting. Guess who is mentioned? Makes me wonder what happened to the dirt from the Pan Am Pool, which was built directly next to an old garbage dump. Tons of soil from that, and nobody knows where it went. IIRC GFL was also suing the City for extra money on the excavation of the pool and I just noticed from this article they were also responsible for the Athlete's Village dig.

"After an investigation, the ministry filed Environmental Protection Act charges against soil contractor Green For Life (the company is also Toronto’s garbage collector) and a soil broker called Earthworx. No one from Earthworx would comment.
GFL’s president and CEO, Patrick Dovigi, said his company was not to blame for the toxic soil on the sheep farm. He said another contractor dumped the bad soil. The case is still before the courts."

"Infrastructure Ontario said GFL started the village job on Oct. 16, 2011, taking 248,000 cubic metres (depending on soil density, that’s as much as 500,000 tonnes) to ministry-approved sites. The dirt was either tainted (with petroleum and metals) or needed extra tests to determine contamination levels, said an official from Infrastructure Ontario."

"Here’s the conundrum: Walker Environmental’s Mike Watt said GFL’s Dovigi told Walker it would get roughly 200,000 tonnes from the village dig. Instead, Watt said only 25,000 tonnes arrived at his landfills. In an interview, Dovigi said he strongly disputes those figures."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/20/farmer_ruco_braat_and_his_sheep.html

While a couple of years old, I found this article a bit more comprehensive: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/tainted-soil-lands-on-pickering-farm/article547534/

Having been associated with the environmental industry for a number of years, I found the Star article a bit irksome with the use of quotation marks around the words "qualified person" , "tables" and no proper definition of "clean" soil like they're air quotes or something. QPs are consultants with either a P.Eng. or P.Geo designation. You don't necessarily need a QP for a lot of environmental work involving potentially contaminated properties; it's usually only when the property use is changing to a more sensitive use like from industrial/commercial to residential or parkland. The QP then completes a Record of Site Condition (RSC), which includes the findings of completed Phase I and/or Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) or any other environmental investigations conducted onsite. ESAs being completed for the purposes of an RSC must also be carried out using an enhanced set of procedures going above what is considered a typical Phase I or II ESA as defined by the Canadian Standards Association under which most of these investigations are carried out. The "tables" are the "Soil, ground water and sediment standards for use under Part XV.1 of the Environmental Protection Act". The soil and groundwater conditions (industrial, residential, potable, non-potable ground water, soil depth to bedrock, proximity to open water, etc.) onsite determine which of the tables you use. The tables contain the levels of metals, hydrocarbons and other chemicals required to meet the applicable Standard. The more sensitive the site, the stricter the Standard. So generally the quotes on "clean" are warranted. I'm just unsure in this case why the author doesn't think there is a proper definition of "clean" out there given the above MOE Standards.

The above blurb is generally to satisfy whether the site the soil is leaving has been cleaned up. The soil leaving would be excavated and separated accordingly - uncontaminated (meeting the applicable MOE Standard), contaminated (not meeting the Standard) and leachable contaminated which is the stuff that requires the special disposal considerations like Green Soils.

New thing I learned today - did not know about the aerodrome loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back