News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it just seems weird, as my parents got theirs weeks ago. For provincial and federal elections, I always get one on time.

Apparently, the voters list has been compiled from MPAC, and there are lots of electors that have not made it to the list. I also always get my card, but didn't this time.

Same ID rules as in the federal and provincial elections? I should be fine with a passport and hydro bill right? I too have not yet received my card.....either that or I inadvertently mistook it for a piece of junk mail and tossed it.

I thought so too. There is also a school of thought that it relates to the potato blight, which turned potatoes black.

And here I thought Black Irish referred to Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

My original point was that "The People" are invoked by all political stripes and agendas, even when those people (folks?) want nothing to do with those leaders who take their name in vain.

Doug Ford is no Nathan Phillips, nor is he any kind of people's mayor. But we all knew that. He just really bugs me.

Same ID rules as in the federal and provincial elections? I should be fine with a passport and hydro bill right? I too have not yet received my card.....either that or I inadvertently mistook it for a piece of junk mail and tossed it.
Identification is needed when you go to vote. Remember to bring:

One piece of identification showing your name and qualifying (Toronto) address
Your voter information card cannot be used as a piece of identification. View the complete list of acceptable identification.

If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters' list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters' list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

Acceptable Identification One piece of ID: showing Name and Qualifying Address

NOTE: The Voter Information Card or Notice of Approval cannot be used as Identification

An Ontario driver’s licence
An Ontario Health Card (photo card, showing your name and address)
An Ontario Photo Card
An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
A cancelled personalized cheque
A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
An insurance policy or insurance statement
A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
An income tax assessment notice
A Child Tax Benefit Statement
A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
A property tax assessment
A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
A CNIB Bard or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
A hospital card or record
A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school

Is she even trying anymore?

Tory is being painted as a Liberal by most of Ford Nation. IHTWORF is leading the way with their use of "J-Lib" moniker, I assume this is to prevent a split of the Conservative vote.

Last edited:
Identification is needed when you go to vote. Remember to bring:

One piece of identification showing your name and qualifying (Toronto) address
Your voter information card cannot be used as a piece of identification. View the complete list of acceptable identification.

If you do not have acceptable ID, but your name is on the voters' list you will be required to sign a Declaration of Identity to receive a ballot.
If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters' list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

Acceptable Identification One piece of ID: showing Name and Qualifying Address

NOTE: The Voter Information Card or Notice of Approval cannot be used as Identification

An Ontario driver’s licence
An Ontario Health Card (photo card, showing your name and address)
An Ontario Photo Card
An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
A cancelled personalized cheque
A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
An insurance policy or insurance statement
A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
An income tax assessment notice
A Child Tax Benefit Statement
A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
A property tax assessment
A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
A CNIB Bard or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
A hospital card or record
A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school

Thanks. Much appreciated. From the My Vote app it looks like I'm on the list, just no card yet.

Last edited:
how and when next Monday will the outcomes of the mayoral and Ward 2 elections be announced?
Judging from 2010, the results were announced really quickly, by 8:30 or so, or even sooner. Electronic voting makes for quick tabulation, which makes for short and unexciting election nights.

In fairness, I don't know if it's up to TPS to enforce violations of the elections legislation...I think it would be bylaw officers, though I stand to be corrected?

Clearly there have been elements of TPS protecting the Fords in the past but in this particular instance I think we have to acknowledge they don't roll up to polling stations and throw someone in jail, or give out tickets, for this particular crime. Still, given the evidence it seems pretty clear that by the third try someone should have served notice, officially.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that by-law officers would be the ones to enforce Provincial Statutes. TPS, I think, are tasked with enforcing provincial and criminal laws and handing apprehended persons over to the justice system for sorting into the appropriate courtroom. At any rate, the Act and Offence in question are:

Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (Statutes of Ontario)
Prohibition
48. (1) While an elector is in a voting place, no person shall attempt, directly or indirectly, to influence how the elector votes. 1996, c. 32, Sched., s. 48 (1).

General offence
94. A person who contravenes any provision of this Act is guilty of an offence. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 21, s. 8 (68).
General penalty, individual
94.1 (1) An individual who is convicted of an offence under this Act is liable to the following penalties in addition to any other penalty provided for in this Act:
1. For any offence, a fine of not more than $25,000.

2. For any offence other than a corrupt practice, the penalties described in subsection 80 (2).
3. For an offence under section 90, imprisonment for a term of not more than six months.
4. For any offence that the presiding judge finds that the individual committed knowingly, imprisonment for a term of not more than six months. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 21, s. 8 (68).

I think 1 & 4 above would apply to RoFo on his second and third visits to polling stations. You can find Ontario's laws and regulations here: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/navigation?file=browseStatutes&reset=yes&menu=browse&lang=en

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back