News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the 'position of power' thing. You have a higher level of responsibility and discretion as you have a higher level of power. A CEO can't get bombed at the Christmas party, but half the staff can tie one on and not overly hurt their reputation. The head of a hospital can't be getting her checkups at a private clinic in Chicago. Etc.

Sure, exercise a bit more discretion. That doesn't mean 'don't drink' or 'don't get a tad tipsy.' I just don't see it. Sometimes we put too much emphasis on optics - on the appearance of things, rather than the substance itself.

People know Rob Ford likes to take a drink - as do many of his tax-paying friends and enemies alike; they don't expect him to be a boy scout.

That said, Rob Ford hasn't exactly been a model mayor in his comportment.

Why can't the mayor tie one on from time to time?

He can. But it seems our mayor can't do anything without making a public ass of himself and degrading the good name of our city in the process.

But this isn't about what he is doing...it's about what he isn't doing. It's about him shirking off his duties for whatever personal reason. Whether it be not attending Pride events because he'd rather be at the cottage (well, that's another lie, as we all know it's because he's homophobic). It's about not attending council because he'd rather be coaching football. Or cancelling the New Years Levee for whatever personal reason he has.

At this point, I have a very low tolerance for any person or organization who is still a Rob Ford apologist.

That's a shame. Because you sound like an apologist yourself - for intolerance! But that's OK - you're only human, like Mr. Ford.

For what it's worth, I think I've gone on record here more than once how little love I have for our mayor. I've long said that you need only give the man enough rope and he'd be sure to hang himself. It ain't over 'till it's over, sure - but this is the long and painful beginning of the end for him. We just have to be patient and see this through. These days I'm becoming more interested in who will be emerging as real contenders for the mayor's seat.

Sometimes we put too much emphasis on optics - on the appearance of things, rather than the substance itself.

In Rob Ford's case, the superficial farce is just the tip of the iceberg. The real fun begins when you start looking at the "substance". He's obviously mentally ill.

Not obvious to me.

I see him as more of a throwback to an old-school politico who vastly prefers to do business behind closed doors - dealing fast and dirty in the cut-throat political arena while accepting cheers and accolades in public (and ignoring or even attempting to shut down public criticism). I think he represents a certain archetype of politician that hovers between cynical, rampant careerism and borderline gangsterism.

As always, Matt Elliott sums it up so well: http://metronews.ca/voices/ford-for...akes-quick-comment-on-budget-then-skips-town/
Last week, I was critical of Mayor Rob Ford for barely commenting on the launch of the 2013 city budget process. It’s odd for a sitting mayor to put so much space between himself and the operating and capital documents that dictate Toronto’s programs, services and investments. It’s doubly odd considering that Ford ran on a platform of fiscal leadership.

Since then, there’s been good news and bad news.

The good news: Ford’s office released a statement via the mayor’s Facebook page on Saturday morning, ending what had been a week of virtual silence on matters relating to the budget. The bad news: on Monday, as his budget committee kicked off a week of deputations and deliberations, Ford went on vacation.

Let’s start with the budget statement on Ford’s Facebook page. It makes some weird claims.

First, Ford takes credit for the city’s credit rating, writing that his “good fiscal practices since the 2010 election have been recognized by a number of bond-rating agencies.” The problem with that boast is the city’s credit rating — which is indeed very good compared to most North American cities — has not changed since Ford was elected in 2010. In the last couple of years, major bond rating agencies have done nothing but confirm the same ratings they gave the city during the Mayor David Miller era. And it was during that era, remember, that Ford regularly claimed the city was on the verge of bankruptcy and rife with fiscal management.

The mayor also writes that DBRS, one of the credit rating rating agencies, “has commented that Toronto still runs a deficit when all capital and operating budgets are considered together.” That doesn’t make much sense. The only way to not run a deficit on the capital side would be to never issue any debt or use long-term financing for purchases, a scenario that would only be desirable if Toronto had no need for any infrastructure investment.

But anyone who has read the news lately regarding that crumbly lakeside highway or the sorry state of our transit network (amongst other things) knows that Toronto needs a hell of a lot of infrastructure investment. Enough that we definitely shouldn’t be prioritizing reducing debt levels over meeting our infrastructure needs.

Ford continues: “Some members of Council believe we should increase spending without having the money to cover the costs.” Which is a good line, except for the fact that there is no one at City Hall who believes that. Toronto is not legally permitted to run a deficit. Every operating budget is always balanced — whether with surplus dollars, reserves or increased revenue through taxes. I’ve got no real idea what Ford is actually referring to with this line.

We could ask him to clarify, but he’s not here.

Ford’s sudden departure on Monday — something that wasn’t even hinted at when he broadcast his radio show the day before — caused quite a stir. I think it’s important to be measured when criticizing Ford’s absence. Ultimately, he’s got to take time away from the job when he needs it, and we shouldn’t begrudge anyone for going on vacation. The city can function without him.

But the political optics of the move are terrible. Ford has spent the last year being dogged by accusations that he’s a part-time mayor. He’s been roundly mocked for prioritizing football over his City Hall work. With a potential by-election looming, he needs to be positioning himself as a guy who wants to be mayor. It’s hard to do that from Florida.

With budget season in full swing and the regular Christmas break just around the corner, a vacation now simply doesn’t make any sense. But maybe, as far as Ford and this budget are concerned, asking for things to make sense is asking too much.

The whole Gardiner issue is beginning to be positioned as the campaign issue. Ford last time used a simplistic issue that could turn the suburbs against the downtown and the Gardiner couldn't be any more appropriate and timely. The campaign will be:

"The downtown bike riding pinkos wanna tear down the Gardiner. We want to fix it before somebody gets hurt. We the regular people need the Gardiner to get to work."

Like the LRT vs Subway debate, of course it's much more complex than that but Ford wins with the simplistic approach.

Like the LRT vs Subway debate, of course it's much more complex than that but Ford wins with the simplistic approach.
There's a simple answer.

Rob Ford is so utterly incompetent, that he cancelled the EA to take down the Gardiner, removed the $750 million to take it down from the budget, but forgot to reinstate the construction and budget to maintain it, that the Mayor's office stopped in 2008 (a wise decision given there's no point spending a lot of $ to maintain something that may be demolished.

I don't really see how this plays in his favour, other than attracting the vote of those too stupid to think.

"Judge who ordered Rob Ford out of office made ‘several errors of law,’ should reverse decision: lawyer"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/1...errors-of-law-should-reverse-decision-lawyer/

Rob Fords Lawyers filed their "factum" in divisional court yesterday requesting the decision of Judge Hackland be overturned. They cite no less than four major errors made by Hackland!

You can read the entire factum submission here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/116771289/Rob-Ford-Factum-for-Appeal

Chief among the many errors was the fact that city council did not have the legal authority to impose the punishment that they voted to impose on Ford. Under the law they can reprimand the Mayor or suspend him for a short period. Council did not have the authority to order Ford to repay the donations. In legal language the actions of council were "ultra vires" ("beyond power") and therefore a "nullity", i.e. the punishment prescribed by council did not exist (because council did not have the legal authority to impose it) therefore Ford cannot be found to be in conflict of interest by voting on something that didn't exist. This is a really simple one to understand and I don't understand why Judge Hackland didn't throw out the case based on this fact alone. Either Hackland is a very terrible Judge or he had it in for Ford.

After reading the factum I cannot imagine the appeal judges will allow Hackland ruling to stand.

If I were Paul Magder I would be experiencing a serious case of heartburn after reading this factum because when Hackland's decision gets thrown out Magder will no doubt be required to pay a large portion of Ford's legal bills which will be in the six figures by now. And poor Clayton Ruby. One of the few high-profile cases that he has actually won is about to be reversed (how did this guy get such a big name for himself?).

Last edited:
This is a really simple one to understand and I don't understand why Judge Hackland didn't throw out the case based on this fact alone. Either Hackland is a very terrible Judge or he had it in for Ford.

There's always the third option....your personal legal opinion probably contains a lot less credibility than an Ontario Senior Regional Judge?

The appeal is strident in it's repetitive notion that the "will of the voters" take precedent over anything else. That because Ford was voted for, it's their assertion that the judge's only obligation was to maintain that by finding whatever reason he could to find Ford not guilty. They are just re-arguing the same points that Hackland already dealt with in his ruling.

Chief among the many errors was the fact that city council did not have the legal authority to impose the punishment that they voted to impose on Ford. Under the law they can reprimand the Mayor or suspend him for a short period. Council did not have the authority to order Ford to repay the donations. In legal language the actions of council were "ultra vires" ("beyond power") and therefore a "nullity", i.e. the punishment prescribed by council did not exist (because council did not have the legal authority to impose it) therefore Ford cannot be found to be in conflict of interest by voting on something that didn't exist. This is a really simple one to understand and I don't understand why Judge Hackland didn't throw out the case based on this fact alone. Either Hackland is a very terrible Judge or he had it in for Ford.

After reading the factum I cannot imagine the appeal judges will allow Hackland ruling to stand.

After all the word twisting. The fact still stands that what Ford did was a "conflict of interest". He solicited donations with city logo for his personal donation campaign for his football team. He was given a warning twice about it. And he was urged to return money to the donators, but he refused. Also, some of the people awarded contracts also happen to have donated money. It leads to a conflict of interest. He shouldn't have involved himself in such a situation. He might not have received any monetary gain personally, but he used his position (city logo) to solicit donations. As someone wrote to complain that it didn't feel right. The person said he/she felt like if they donated, they would gain something from it.

Either Hackland is a very terrible Judge or he had it in for Ford.

Hahahaha... That was awesome! So, you read the application for an appeal and somehow saw it not as, "we've no grounds to appeal, so let's throw a bunch of crap at the wall and see what might stick", but rather "this judge is the worst judge EVER!"

I know you're trolling, but that was fun. As for costs, I'm sure D. Ford will make a motion at Council for us to pick up the costs, and R. Ford will vote 'yes' to the City picking up the tab...

There's always the third option....your personal legal opinion probably contains a lot less credibility than an Ontario Senior Regional Judge?

The appeal is strident in it's repetitive notion that the "will of the voters" take precedent over anything else. That because Ford was voted for, it's their assertion that the judge's only obligation was to maintain that by finding whatever reason he could to find Ford not guilty. They are just re-arguing the same points that Hackland already dealt with in his ruling.

Never mind my legal opinion. This is the legal opinion of Rob Ford's Lawyer, one of the most esteemed Lawyers in private practice on Bay Street! If Hackland is such a brilliant infallible legal scholar why isn't he in private practice on Bay street where he can make $Millions instead of sitting on the bench?

Last edited:
Hahahaha... That was awesome! So, you read the application for an appeal and somehow saw it not as, "we've no grounds to appeal, so let's throw a bunch of crap at the wall and see what might stick", but rather "this judge is the worst judge EVER!"

I know you're trolling, but that was fun. As for costs, I'm sure D. Ford will make a motion at Council for us to pick up the costs, and R. Ford will vote 'yes' to the City picking up the tab...

Before accusing me of "trolling" did you take time to read word-for-word the factum submitted by Ford's Lawyer? This isn't looking very good for those who would like to see Ford kicked out of office. This might turn out to be the best thing that could happen to Ford since the left-wing of council have no doubt spent the last few weeks fighting among each other over who best, among the left, to be anointed as Rob Fords replacement. I am sure that alliances on the left have been weakened if not destroyed as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back