News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we shouldn't be speculating on the man's death but Adma does have a point. His health is relevant and it is a factor to consider in all this drama. Indeed, Ford hasn't been looking very healthy lately. Perhaps he took off to Florida - despite the terrible optics - on the advice of his doctor. All this stress cannot be good for anybody, let alone an unhealthy obese man.

Agreed on that point. The man doesn't look very robust in the best of times. I imagine the last couple of months have taken its toll on him.

If Armstrong finds that Ford violated the Municipal Elections Act, the city’s compliance audit committee, composed of three experts in elections law, could either do nothing or pursue the possibility of non-criminal charges. Ford would face potential penalties including a fine of up to $25,000, removal from office, and — highly unlikely — prison time.
Too bad the conflict of interest law Ford violated doesn't include an option for judges to levy a fine. I'd much rather have Ford pay a big fine than have the mess we're currently in.

If Hackland is such a brilliant infallible legal scholar why isn't he in private practice on Bay street where he can make $Millions instead of sitting on the bench?
So I guess you have no confidence in the judges hearing the appeal.

^ It depends. If they reverse Hackland's judgement they're brilliant scholars. If they confirm it (they will) then they're left wing pinko losers who can't make it in a high rolling private practice.

You know, there's another "future of Ford" issue that's rumbling beneath the surface, and it's nothing to do with politics: it's about his health. Am I the only one who's finding that he's been "looking like death" lately? Definitely worse than a couple of years ago--to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come back from Florida alive--massive coronary, that sort of thing.

This is honestly not to take a shot at Ford but I really don't remember Ford ever looking healthy and although his weight is part of it (330lbs, 5' 10" well exceeds being clinically obese) this isn't a pot-shot at his weight. Along with being obese he gets scary red/pinkish sort of flushed in the face, he appears to have breathing issues, the quality of his speech varies wildly and if you watch him in Council on Rogers channel 10 he's often unfocused and easily distracted - and he's only in his early 40's. Brother Doug on the other hand is half a decade older yet looks healthier in most every respect, weight is also his problem but slightly less a problem than his bro. I know how one "looks" isn't necessarily a reflection of one's true state of health but on the flip side, it can be an indication of poor health too.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more giggling here about the cancelled levee that will now wander hither and yon. D. Ford's damage control attempt was dumber than the cancellation.

I thought that the New Years Levee was happening, just more "family friendly", whatever that means (no strippers this year?).

This is honestly not to take a shot at Ford but I really don't remember Ford ever looking healthy and although his weight is part of it (330lbs, 5' 10" well exceeds being clinically obese) this isn't a pot-shot at his weight. Along with being obese he gets scary red/pinkish sort of flushed in the face, he appears to have breathing issues, the quality of his speech varies wildly and if you watch him in Council on Rogers channel 10 he's often unfocused and easily distracted - and he's only in his early 40's. Brother Doug on the other hand is half a decade older yet looks healthier in most every respect, weight is also his problem but slightly less a problem than his bro. I know how one "looks" isn't necessarily a reflection of one's true state of health but on the flip side, it can be an indication of poor health too.

at that height, he's double the weight he should be. the average male at 5'10" is 165lbs

I thought that the New Years Levee was happening, just more "family friendly", whatever that means (no strippers this year?).

code for Frod Nationers only

at that height, he's double the weight he should be. the average male at 5'10" is 165lbs

While Robbie is in desperate need of weight loss, BMI is a hugely flawed stat. Anyone who played a strength sport (football/rugby/shotput/weightlifting/etc.) is listed as obese. I'm 5' 9 1/2" and back down to my playing weight of 195lbs now that I'm no longer sitting at a desk, and I'd look like a bag of bones at 165.

Ford's big issue on the health front isn't just the weight. As others have pointed out, he's got other major signs of coronary/pulmonary issues (red-faced, gasping, etc.) That said, his leaving office for health issues would be disappointing. I want to see him go down in a vote.

"Family friendly" probably means no yelly-granny rabble-rousers to upset the young'uns. Just plain, good, honest shiny happy taxpayers. Heck, the Fords might as well move it from City Hall to the Toronto Congress Centre, out of sight of "professional activists".

Ford's big issue on the health front isn't just the weight. As others have pointed out, he's got other major signs of coronary/pulmonary issues (red-faced, gasping, etc.) That said, his leaving office for health issues would be disappointing. I want to see him go down in a vote.

Actually, given his record of obtuseness, I can't see him voluntarily leaving office for health reasons. It'd be a pine box or nothing, in his case.

Besides being a throwback in tinpot political operations and social POVs, Rob Ford's a throwback to a time when men didn't get routine medical checkups, didn't have PSAs left, right, and centre warning them to have regular medical checkups and spot all warning signs, and thought themselves invincible--a time when being felled by a massive heart attack in one's 40s was far more common than today.

Maybe we shouldn't be speculating on the man's death but Adma does have a point. His health is relevant and it is a factor to consider in all this drama. Indeed, Ford hasn't been looking very healthy lately. Perhaps he took off to Florida - despite the terrible optics - on the advice of his doctor. All this stress cannot be good for anybody, let alone an unhealthy obese man.

The word is that "Health Issues" is one way of putting the real reason why Ford left on vacation early and without notice.

One problem that will occur After Ford will be property taxes will have to go up to make up for the shortfalls that occurred and occurs while Under Ford.

The new mayor, whoever it is other than Ford, will have to increase the police force to proper levels, increase the fire service to at least meet required levels, return the TTC to the service that the transit riders want and expect, build up the reserve fund (instead of dipping into it), at least return expected services that the residents of Toronto had reductions made to, maybe actually do the required repairs or rebuilding of the Gardiner Expressway (if they don't tear it down), etc.. All this will mean the property taxes will have to go up because of the current penny-pinching.

There is a great article in the Post this weekend regarding EMS staffing issues, read it here:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/14/toronto-ems/

The Sun also had a series a couple weeks ago, here's the last one overviewing decreased Advanced Care Paramedic coverage:
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/08/roster-changes-at-ems-costly-to-taxpayers

It's also worth noting that Paramedics have been suspended for going to the papers and media with these stories. (whistleblower protection??)

The following stations will be UNSTAFFED every night:
14 - 321 Rexdale Blvd
24 - 3061 Birchmount Rd
30 - 100 Turnberry Ave.
42 - 1535 Kingston Rd.
57 - 2075 Bayview Ave.

The following stations will be UNSTAFFED Wednesday and Thursday Night
16 - 4330 Dufferin St
27 - 900 Tapscott Rd.
39 - 155 The East Mall
47 - 3600 St. Claire Ave

Status