8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
Ward 12 candidate John Nunziata is waiting for the Toronto Police to arrive outside a polling station, alleges he's been assaulted #TOpoli

And so it begins...

isn't there some kind of rule in other elections (provincial? federal?) that there is no campaigning on voting day? the candidates pretty much sit at home. this is a good rule. if they want, they can allow campaign volunteers to give rides to the polls*, but the candidates should be on a friggin' vow of silence today.

I didn't listen to any radio today but on twitter there's a bunch of tweets of people hearing Doug Ford ads on the radio all day today.

Kevin Daniels ‏@ksdaniels 10:19am
I just heard a radio ad for Doug Ford. I thought it was illegal for campaigns to advertise on e-day. Any1 in #TOpoli able to confirm rules?

SharkDancing ‏@SharkDancing 11:35am
.@TorontoVotes Just heard a Doug Ford election ad on 1010 radio Election Day Monday October 27th. How is this allowed

Laura Feeney ‏@DaleJr288 1:28pm
@CityNews @CityCynthia I thought on election day there was 2 b no advertising on radio day of vote? Just heard Doug Ford ad on Boom 97.3

simone tai ‏@taisimone 2:08pm
Did anyone else hear the Doug Ford ad on am680 at about 6:30am this morning? Is that allowed? #TOpoli #DougFord

Mike Gillespie ‏@Mike_Gillespie 5:45pm
@CBCToronto I heard a Doug Ford campaign ad on Q107 this afternoon...I thought that wasn't allowed today?

"seriously though, I've thought this. If Ford loses #fordnation could go full on Vancouver Canuck riot."
https://twitter.com/scottandrewb/status/526818316787417088

This is Toronto, crazy, violent shit like that doesn't happen here. I predict few will show up to city hall to celebrate or protest. We're much too apathetic for that. Like always, people will sit at their computers to bitch and moan on social media. (much like we all do here)

I didn't listen to any radio today but on twitter there's a bunch of tweets of people hearing Doug Ford ads on the radio all day today.
No law against that as far as I know. As long as not audible at/near the polling location.

See http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_96m32_e.htm

There is a prohibition on asking how people voted at the polling station, or communication of such. That would answer the earlier question about why no exit polls. Because they are not legal.

Kevin Daniels ‏@ksdaniels 10:19am
I just heard a radio ad for Doug Ford. I thought it was illegal for campaigns to advertise on e-day. Any1 in #TOpoli able to confirm rules?

SharkDancing ‏@SharkDancing 11:35am
.@TorontoVotes Just heard a Doug Ford election ad on 1010 radio Election Day Monday October 27th. How is this allowed

Laura Feeney ‏@DaleJr288 1:28pm
@CityNews @CityCynthia I thought on election day there was 2 b no advertising on radio day of vote? Just heard Doug Ford ad on Boom 97.3

simone tai ‏@taisimone 2:08pm
Did anyone else hear the Doug Ford ad on am680 at about 6:30am this morning? Is that allowed? #TOpoli #DougFord

Mike Gillespie ‏@Mike_Gillespie 5:45pm
@CBCToronto I heard a Doug Ford campaign ad on Q107 this afternoon...I thought that wasn't allowed today?

Judging by Twitter today, the myth that campaigning is not permitted on a municipal election day is wide-spread. There is no such prohibition.

Taking Time off to Vote

You are entitled to have three hours in which to vote on voting day. If your job requires you to work hours that would not give you a three hour period in which to vote, you are allowed to be absent from your job for enough time to give you that three hour period.

Note: This does not mean that you are entitled to take three hours off of work.

Voting hours are normally from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. If your working hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., you could be entitled to leave one hour early so that you would have from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. to vote.

Your employer may decide when it would be most convenient for you to be absent in order to vote. For example, if you work from noon to 6 p.m., your employer may decide that you should come in at 1 p.m., rather than leave work at 5 p.m.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=8222c36902f5d310VgnVCM1000006cd60f89RCRD

ah, casita... there's the written rules, and then there's real life. People don't feel free to take time off; they may have the right to do it on paper, but it doesn't translate to the real world. People are entitled to sick days, too, and yet many come in to work sniffling and coughing. I've done so myself many times. And everyone says "awwww... you should have stayed home" but no HR person or manager ever comes over and insists that you leave. Instead they say things like "you shouldn't have come in, but I'm glad you did, or we would've been really screwed!" wink, wink.

No one can openly punish you for leaving to vote or calling in sick, but you worry that it'll stay in the corners of some bosses mind... to be used against you at some future time, when no one can prove that those are the reasons.

Judging by Twitter today, the myth that campaigning is not permitted on a municipal election day is wide-spread. There is no such prohibition.

that's what I figured, but I'm sure it exists somewhere: either CDN provincial/federal or in the U.S. It's something I remember hearing on the news.

And everyone says "awwww... you should have stayed home" but no HR person or manager ever comes over and insists that you leave.
I've seen people tossed out who were sick. And I've told people I don't want to see them anywhere near the office.

If there's no crisis, management doesn't want everyone else to get sick!

Thanks for the reply. I always thought there was on campaigning on election day including ads. I thought it was odd that so many different station were said to play Doug Ford ads. He sure got a lot of radio ads for having the least amount of money donated, i guess all that money saved on discount signs.

I will never forget one of the weakest examples of campaigning on election day was last election when Rob was running. Somebody asked Rob to visit his "sick child" at home, right on election day! and of course CP2Ford was right there with this "amazing" surprise encounter. Because I know when I was a kid my make a wish was to not to meet a somebody in entertainment or sports but to meet a city councilor who's running for mayor lol. You know normal kids wishes.

This is election night, not sure what will happen with this thread. So just want to say it was great reading and participating with everybody here. The news and discussion was so ahead the curve of what was being discussed in talk radio or other mainstream outlets. You guys are great.

In old Upper Canada, many a vote was bought with a drink or three. Then, the law was changed to limit or prohibit sale of alcohol until after the polls close.

But private property is different, right? What happens on tour stays on tour. Doug loves private property IIRC.

So what about a Ford party bus?

Hey yo TCHC come get some THC,*or chill with some ice, snow or ice-cold brewski?

There''ll be burgers on the flip-flop, and we'll even pick up your dry cleaning, if you know what I mean. ;)

The only way they're not doing that is if they hadn't thought of it. Which I doubt.

ah, casita... there's the written rules, and then there's real life. People don't feel free to take time off; they may have the right to do it on paper, but it doesn't translate to the real world. People are entitled to sick days, too, and yet many come in to work sniffling and coughing. I've done so myself many times. And everyone says "awwww... you should have stayed home" but no HR person or manager ever comes over and insists that you leave. Instead they say things like "you shouldn't have come in, but I'm glad you did, or we would've been really screwed!" wink, wink.

No one can openly punish you for leaving to vote or calling in sick, but you worry that it'll stay in the corners of some bosses mind... to be used against you at some future time, when no one can prove that those are the reasons.

I'm no longer part of the real world, Kat, but I was once.

We were entitled to get off early to vote, but I don't think we ever did due to "unforeseen events". :D

that's what I figured, but I'm sure it exists somewhere: either CDN provincial/federal or in the U.S. It's something I remember hearing on the news.

It's in the Election Finances Act...however the Act doesn't explicitly state whether or not it actually applies to municipal elections. (Like hey, why can't it say explicitly that it only covers a certain type of election like the Municipal Elections Act does)
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90e07_e.htm#BK46

In old Upper Canada, many a vote was bought with a drink or three. Then, the law was changed to limit or prohibit sale of alcohol until after the polls close.

But private property is different, right? What happens on tour stays on tour. Doug loves private property IIRC.

So what about a Ford party bus?

Hey yo TCHC come get some THC,*or chill with some ice, snow or ice-cold brewski?

There''ll be burgers on the flip-flop, and we'll even pick up your dry cleaning, if you know what I mean. ;)

The only way they're not doing that is if they hadn't thought of it. Which I doubt.

Do you think that might give Dug a kush-y lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back