News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't take a staff role - Tory's talking about having them chair an agency or lead an initiative or something like that.

Exactly - that was my point about the malleability of "team", in my post that a few pages up-thread. [= "Team" is a pretty loose term here (similar to the much misused "partnership"). I imagine that what Tory has in mind is some sort of consultation/advisory thingy, not bringing Soks, etc. on to his staff or appointing them to major positions.]

Last edited:
Yes Casita, I too cringe at the thought of the number of Fords that can be cycled through.

I held my nose and voted Tory after Soknacki dropped out and Chow fell to 3rd, thinking if we have to have a conservative mayor better Tory than a Ford. I feel differently today. If Tory is holding out a branch to Soknacki and Chow, he is not as right leaning as the Fords and he is miles more strategic and inclusive than I gave him credit for and I have greater hope for the next 4 years.

Inclusiveness is the key here. It is painfully obvious that 1 in 3 feels unheard and disenfranchised. They vote Ford because Fords articulate in office what they feel: the elitists don't listen to them, don't do anything for them and are not reachable/approachable. That is why Ford resonates. Ford may not actually end up doing anything for them in reality but Ford makes public their feelings and is available to them. It may be all for show but Ford is accessible. The 66% that voted against Ford don't help to assuage Ford Nation feelings of being marginalized and disregarded when they are called stupid or dumb for buying in to the Ford propaganda. We actually works against ourselves and solidify their views every time we are disparaging about Ford Nationals. And Ford always has an excuse: I couldn't get X through which would help you because 44 councillors were against me.

It may not be logical but you never win over emotion using logic. To conquer emotion, you must let emotion spend itself then allow logic to demonstrate what is possible. And this is why I have more hope for the Tory administration today than I did yesterday. Just imagine if Tory is able to win over Chow, Soknacki, Goldkind and Baskin to his administration. Imagine also if he is humble enough, strategic enough and prescient enough to be able to then deliver an administration that is accessible to Ford Nation and TCHC residents where work is actually done for these disenfranchised people, rather than just hollow rhetoric. Imagine being able to stand for reelection with accomplishments that include real progress in Ward 2, despite Ford, and other "left behind" wards and the ability to demonstrate what happens when you build bridges rather than isolate yourself with moats as the Fords have.

Perhaps if we wish to eradicate the cancer that is the Fords, we must stop behaving as they do, calling into question others intelligence and choices, and show that working together gets us further. That is what Tory has reminded me this morning. Being inclusive and tolerant will get us further. Perhaps 4 or 8 years from now, we will be able to thank Ford for helping us to build a better city by exposing the great divide that exists.

Well written and I agree FWIW. While there is always the nutbar kooks who can't be reasoned with, and IMO no it's not a sole monopoly of the right wing either. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, and believing that a perfect utopia can be achieved if just somehow everyone thinks and acts exactly like -I- do, tends to produce the complete opposite.

Last edited:
Wait 'til they hear Mikey.

quote-wait-a-minute-wait-a-minute-you-ain-t-heard-nothin-yet-al-jolson-asa-yoelson-307228.jpg

Did Pilkey get the Trustee win?

"chartered accountant Robin Pilkey took Ward 7 (Parkdale-High Park)."
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...changes_as_half_of_tdsb_trustees_are_new.html

Attachments

• quote-wait-a-minute-wait-a-minute-you-ain-t-heard-nothin-yet-al-jolson-asa-yoelson-307228.jpg
    quote-wait-a-minute-wait-a-minute-you-ain-t-heard-nothin-yet-al-jolson-asa-yoelson-307228.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Mayor stays the mayor and appoints a cabinet. Council divided by parties and leader of largest coalition becomes house leader (or appointed by mayor?). Next highest becomes opposition leader. Mayor gets veto power for <2/3 votes. In practice works like US congress except cabinet comes from house. Or something like that.

Point is, imagine how different the last four years would have been with an official opposition and an assigned leader to hold Ford to account. Imagine a weekly question period. Imagine Giorgio trying to win a nomination battle.

But Mammo promised us prostitoot island! Ok back to more serious mode, it is an intriguing possibility I admit, but what are the realistic chance of a party system officially happening at the municipal level? Ranked ballot has a very good possibility of happening in 2018 AFAIK, but that seemed to take a Fordian Fiasco to push it near the final line. Would the province even agree to entertain such an idea, or would it be business as usual of passing the buck until people lose interest. Term limits may have a better chance of happening, but municipal party politics might be put in the back burner. Might be too risky if considered too much too soon.

FAS is a spectrum, so he could be on the low end, who knows. Anyway his having a disability possibly, or his being 20, unqualified and/or possibly not having a high school diploma -- none of those things bother me on their own merits. What does bother me is him being silenced by his uncle and winning on nothing more than recognition of his name.

Yep. It is a bit strange that at least from the brief ford fest clip I remembered, Mikey seemed to have no problem saying 'hello thanks for attending ford fest' etc. The other clips of him sounds different. But otherwise, I don't have a problem with his speech pattern or how he sounds vocally. He may not even be a rotten apple as uncle Rob and Thug, definite agreement with "the sins of the father shall not...etc", though Mikey following Ford orders without questions is not something that will have a good outcome in the long term IMO. Mikey might be far better off being his own person.

I've never seen the point in term limits. Sure, they get rid of crap politicians, but often they just move to a different political arena or get voted out anyway. I don't see the point, when you have a good politician who's doing a great job, of saying "well, you've done wonders turning this town around and making it great, so now we're going to force you out of office rather than let you continue the good work you've been doing."

I've never seen the point in term limits. Sure, they get rid of crap politicians, but often they just move to a different political arena or get voted out anyway. I don't see the point, when you have a good politician who's doing a great job, of saying "well, you've done wonders turning this town around and making it great, so now we're going to force you out of office rather than let you continue the good work you've been doing."

Because if you can't accomplish what you want to do in 12 or 16 years it's time for someone else to try. Also good because it forces competitive mayoral races between qualified councillors.

I am sure that Soks and Ari each make more than the the upper limit of the CH mayoral staff pay range.

Pay them whatever they want. I like those guys. Ari is 20 years younger than Soks or JT, so he has a great future ahead of him. Just don't hire any 9-5 men.

He is too young to have been admitted to Humber College as a mature student, so - unless it is an outright lie that he was enrolled at Humber College - he must have at least the bare minimum high school leaving certificate. (IIRC, however, he had to go back and do some more HS courses, after his initial HS graduation, in order to get his average up to the 60% required by Humber College.)

I guess it would be insulting to ask for proof of his education? It was never made entirely clear with Rob and Doug either.

FFS I had to submit proof of education to get on the city payroll, why don't these guys? ( Damn near went off on an all-caps rant. LMAO )

Last edited:
Perhaps this has been posted here already, the thread is moving pretty quickly today. So my apologies if it's a repost, but geeze...

[video]http://instagram.com/p/urlHiZJKhp/[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back