News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he has returned to RF's office at CH then he has returned to being a City employee.

RF can not be fired from what I understand because he is an elected politician, not a City employee. I doubt his non-union"Special Assistants" can be fired by anyone but RF, as long as he has the budget to employ them.

Position
2011 salary (based
on 260 working days) Hourly rate
Executive Assistant $42,387.80 - $79,570.40 $23.29 - $43.72
Constituency
Assistant $34,871.20 - $65,938.60 $19.16 - $36.23
Administrative
Assistant, Level 2 $34,871.20 - $65,938.60 $19.16 - $36.23
Administrative
Assistant, Level 1 $26,663.00 - $50,068.20 $14.64 - $27.51
Councillor's Aide (summer student) $13.67

"Special Assistant" is not listed.

RF can not be fired from what I understand because he is an elected politician, not a City employee. I doubt his non-union"Special Assistants" can be fired by anyone but RF, as long as he has the budget to employ them.

I believe that as non-unionized CH employees they are subject to all of the usual rules for such employees (including any employee code of conduct, etc.). The City, not the mayor or the councillor, is the employer. Of course, if an employee works exclusively for the mayor or a councillor the odds are low that anyone other than his or her 'boss' going to end up being concerned about the employee's conduct; but, clearly, a non-unionized CH employee can be dismissed by the City for sufficiently egregious conduct towards another employee or a member of the public.

"Special Assistant" is not listed.

It is just a label that can be given to someone at the admin asst level, instead of more money, to make him or her feel better. (As another example, "Director of Communications" - Amin's label - is not listed either.)

Yes, but these documents are concerned only with job descriptions and salary ranges. I believe that, as CH employees, the staff of the mayor or a councillor have to abide by the same general rules as all other non-unionized City employees working at CH.

McRobb guilty of drunk driving in Rob Ford's Caddy

From Toronto Sun, at this link:

The woman charged while behind the wheel of Mayor Rob Ford’s Cadillac pleaded guilty to driving with blood-alcohol readings almost three times the legal limit. LeeAnne McRobb, 37, stood at the front of the court earlier this week and pleaded guilty to impaired driving and was fined $1,800 with a one-year driving prohibition.

Ford admitted he met McRobb at the GreeneStone rehab facility in Muskoka where they were patients and loaned her his vehicle while hers was in repair — but he didn’t know she would take it on a dangerous highway joyride.

Court heard that several witnesses called police about the SUV speeding, swerving and driving in the wrong lane along Hwy. 169 in Muskoka at around 2 p.m. May 20, 2014.

A half hour later Bracebridge OPP caught her while she was heading northbound in the southbound lane and pulled her over on Butterfly Rd. As the officer approached the vehicle he observed a slurring, drunken McRobb. A Heineken beer can was in the cup holder and several empty beer cans were in the vehicle.

“There was a strong odour of alcohol on her breath and her speech was slurred,†said Crown attorney Doug Kasko. “She was unsteady on her feet and teetering while trying to stand still.â€

In court Kasko read a statement from a civilian witness who told police he was terrified as he headed home from work and suddenly saw the SUV speeding straight at him.

“It was in my lane coming right toward me,†said the civilian, who was not named. With no time to break, he blasted the horn and swerved onto the shoulder, missing the SUV by a mere 15 metres.

“This was very close to a head-on collision,†said Kasko.

Two hours later at the police station, McRobb gave a breath sample with a reading of 227 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood. A half hour after that she gave another sample with a reading of 223 mg.

“That’s a lot of alcohol,†remarked Justice Glenn Krelove.

McRobb’s lawyer, Peter Ward, told the judge McRobb, who works at an area bank, has been struggling with alcohol problems for years.

“She was in attendance at a rehab facility at the time and failed, if you will, in those efforts,†said Ward. “She is now in counseling and she has been absolutely sober for 122 days and she is very proud of the fact.â€
McRobb apologized to the judge.

“I’m aware of the wrongdoings I committed,†she said to Krelove. “I’m going to use this as a learning curve and not make the same mistake again.â€

She promised the judge she will continue her rehab journey and attends to six to eight alcoholic anonymous meetings a week.

“I’m not going to let this set me bac … I’m going to keep going forward,†McRobb said.

Conditions of Employment - Council Staff Members
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/1999/agendas/council/cc/cc990609/cs6rpt/cl001.htm

What I find interesting is the legal docs go into great detail about job descriptions etc for the EA, CA, AA, but never a mention of SA ( Special Assistant ).

Job Description:Executive Assistant
Job Description:Constituency Assistant
Job Description:Councillor's Assistant

But, no job description for Special Assistant.

At any rate, they seem to come and go like the wind.

If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him. If he pays you wages which supply you bread and butter, work for him; speak well of him; stand by him, and stand by the institution he represents. If put to a pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must vilify, condemn, and eternally disparage, resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content, but as long as you are part of the institution do not condemn it. If you do that, you are loosening the tendrils that are holding you to the institution, and at the first high wind that comes along, you will be uprooted and blown away, and will probably never know the reason why.
Elbert Hubbard

Last edited:
See: http://wx.toronto.ca/intra/hr/policies.nsf/$defaultview?OpenView

For example (included amongst the linked collection of HR documents):

Ethics and Values
vwicn026.gif
Conflict of InterestAugust 4, 2000
ecblank.gif
Conflict of Interest - Appendix 1 Sample Questions & AnswersAugust 4, 2000
ecblank.gif
Conflict of Interest - Appendix 2 Supplementary GuidelinesJanuary 17, 2005March 31, 2005
ecblank.gif
Conflict of Interest - Appendix 3 Conduct Respecting LobbyistsAugust 4, 2000
ecblank.gif
vwicn026.gif
Employee Participation in Municipal Election CampaignsAugust 4, 2000
ecblank.gif
vwicn026.gif
Employees Seeking Election to Political OfficeJuly 29, 1999September 7, 2007
ecblank.gif
vwicn026.gif
Fraud Prevention PolicyApril 27, 2001March 12, 2007
ecblank.gif
vwicn026.gif
Whistle Blower ProtectionJune 15, 2011June 23, 2011

But, no job description for Special Assistant.

Or for Chief of Staff (Jacobs), or Director of Communications (Massoudi), or ' former reader of e-mails and pursuer of crack videos a/k/a Special Assistant' (Price) or 'receptionist & tropical fish wrangler a/k/a Special Assistant' (McEacheran). In other words, the slapped-on title of "Special Assistant" is no more significant than it would be to call an officer staffer "Lead Clog Dancer".

A CH officer staffer is hired to perform some combination of various parts of one or more of the four job descriptions, and the mayor or councillor in question gets to decide which one of the four job description categories fits the person (which sets the person's salary range) and how senior he or she is (which sets the person's salary within the range). The only real control over the mayor or the councillor is that he or she cannot spend more than his or her staff budget in total; thus, within 'the funding envelope' (as the cliche goes), the mayor or a councillor can decide how many staffers he or she wants to have at various levels (e.g., the more staff taken on in the higher salary ranges the less room is left to take people on in the lower salary ranges).

Councillor (Mayor gets a larger staff budget):

[h=2]Councillor staff salary budget[/h]Each Councillor is provided with an annual staff budget of $224,264.25, equivalent to the top of the salary range of an Executive Assistant, an Administrative Assistant and a Constituency Assistant. As 2014 is an election year, the budget is pro-rated to $204,501.50 for the period January 1 - November 30 and $19,762.75 for December 1 - 31, 2014.
Councillors can hire full-time or part-time staff from the following staff positions:
Position2014 salaryHourly rate
Executive Assistant$44,772.00 - $84,065.80$24.60 - $46.19
Constituency Assistant$36,836.80 - $69,669.60$20.24 - $38.28
Administrative Assistant,
Level 2
$36,836.80 - $69,669.60$20.24 - $38.28
Administrative Assistant,
Level 1
$28,173.60 - $52,889.20$15.48 - $29.06
Councillor's Aide
(summer student)
$14.44
In theory, a councillor could use his or her budget to take on only people at the highest possible rate (3 staff) or only people at the lowest possible rate (8 staff) - but the assumption of course is that a rational councillor will take on some mix of senior and junior staffers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back