9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the decision http://www.scribd.com/doc/122163242/Mayor-Rob-Ford-Appeal

Final sentence, last page "If the parties cannot agree on costs, they may make brief written submissions through theDivisional Court Office within 30 days of the release of these reasons"

Magder is going to wish he'd never listened to that twit Chaleff-Freudenthaler.

Could Mommoliti's paranoia be related to the recent campaign financing decision against him? What if anything there happens next?

Hahaha.....anything by the left to get him out.
The left? Heck members of the right seem to be lining up to attack Ford lately. Let alone the middle.

I'm not sure how anyone could be so naïve to suggest the anti-Ford sentiment is a right-left thing. Surely there are members of the right who are just as ashamed to have such an uneducated hateful lying moron representing Toronto to the world. I've never seen such coverage of Toronto's mayor in the international press.

If there was a competent right-wing mayor such as John Tory or Karen Stintz, I doubt we'd be seeing anything like this level of outrage against the mayor.

Have you read the legal decision? Final paragraph says that if the litigants can not decide on who covers the legal costs the parties can request an order from the courts. If I was Ford I would 100% demand that all his legal fees be covered by Magder.

Sure, why wouldn't Ford ask that? Should he have to cover the costs? No. This wasn't some baseless complaint. Ford won on an appeal based on the definition of "pecuniary interest".

The court has ruled that "pecuniary interest" = financial interest. Even if Ford's personal/political image and reputation were to benefit, this is not pecuniary. I am a bit puzzled how the courts can say Ford did not even have an in-direct pecuniary interest....

MCIA not contravened. It's a shitty, shitty law.

Last edited:
News alert from CBC:

Interesting. Did we ever consider the last-ditch resort that Ford could've used if he lost this appeal, could also just as well been used by the plantiffs?

Personally I'd rather see how the campaign audit turns out as that's a more serious charge.

Daniel Dale said:
The argument that Ford won on was an argument he has always made - he himself never gets the money people donate to his foundation
Some time ago I wondered why this was so hard for them to articulate. Any order to pay "back" funds must presuppose you got them in the first place. Not sure how it took until the appeal for his lawyers to pitch that idea.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/14268-Mayor-Rob-Ford-s-Toronto?p=666934#post666934

Last edited:
And so it has ended exactly as I predicted way back in December http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/14268-Mayor-Rob-Ford-s-Toronto?p=690709#post690709

"
After reading the factum I cannot imagine the appeal judges will allow Hackland ruling to stand.

If I were Paul Magder I would be experiencing a serious case of heartburn after reading this factum because when Hackland's decision gets thrown out Magder will no doubt be required to pay a large portion of Ford's legal bills which will be in the six figures by now. And poor Clayton Ruby. One of the few high-profile cases that he has actually won is about to be reversed (how did this guy get such a big name for himself?).

If you thought Paul Magder had a long face before imagine it now!

The news release:
TORONTO, Jan. 25, 2013 /CNW/ - The Court has let Rob Ford off on a technicality. We find that disappointing, particularly since the Court found that Mr. Paul Magder was right on the facts.

We believe that there are serious errors of law in the judgment and we will ask the Supreme Court of Canada for leave to appeal to that Court. It must be acknowledged that such appeals are not easy but this remains an important issue for all citizens.

Especially troubling is the finding that if a politician raises money from lobbyists and directs that money to his or her own personal interest, such abuse is beyond the reach of government oversight. This raises the possibility of American-style Political Action Committee (PAC) fundraising, which should be of great concern to all Canadians. (See Decision, paras. 49 and 70.)

No further comments will be made by Mr. Ruby or Mr. Magder.

So conflicts of interest cannot arise when the potential benefit is political gain. Wow. Gear up folks. Fund-raising laws will become benign (like in the US).

Ford voting on his own issue at council was an obvious conflict. He's lucky a technicality has rendered that stupid action null.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back