News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if these two have ever done a thing for the stupid pea-brains that voted for them.

Well, on the fairness front, just have the rest of the city done to deserve these two fools? Is it fair to everyone else that they have dragged the reputation of the city through mud? I think the residents of said wards got some answering to do.

AoD

I thought that a leave longer than 3 months has to be voted on by council, and if they say no then the seat can be declared vacant.

For a guy who has been reporting on City Hall dealings for a while, Worms is pretty clueless when it comes to the rules.

I thought that a leave longer than 3 months has to be voted on by council, and if they say no then the seat can be declared vacant.

I believe that is correct. When Rob was getting chemo, council excused him for missing sessions.

http://www.cp24.com/news/doug-ford-...on-council-following-cancer-surgery-1.2310889

“I wouldn’t be able to sit in council but it is no different from what I am doing now, and every family member does,” Doug told CP24 Friday morning.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but here's a thought I had:

My 4 year old son loves the electoral process. He comes with us to vote, loves the concept of choosing a leader.

It's easy to imagine myself having one of our conversations about it where he would ask: "Why doesn't someone with lots of money just go to people's houses and give them $20 bills to vote for them?"

I would have to explain how there are rules against that because, yes, that would probably work and it wouldn't be fair to people who don't have the money to do that. Also, how I would rather have a better leader who has less money than a rich guy who is a crappy leader.

To understand anything that comes from any of the Fords, you really need to think like a toddler.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/03/ford-brother-swap-highly-unlikely-expert

TORONTO - The Ford flip would likely be a flop, according to one municipal law expert.

Councillor Rob Ford told the Sun's Joe Warmington on Thursday that he wants to see whether his brother, Doug Ford, could take over his council seat while he's recovering from cancer surgery.

But municipal law lawyer John Mascarin says Doug Ford can't just walk into City Hall and pinch hit for his councillor brother.

"There are no 'temporary vacancy' provisions in the City of Toronto Act," Mascarin told the Sun on Friday.

"Rob Ford would have to resign in order to create a vacancy but there would be no guarantee whatsoever that council would appoint Doug Ford to fill in. Council would have a choice to appoint or to run a by-election.

"I am certain that if council decides to appoint there is a policy that dictates how the appointment process works and it most certainly does not allow a resigning candidate to hand pick their successor."

Even if Doug Ford was appointed to fill the Etobicoke North (Ward 2) council seat, it wouldn't be an easy process to put Rob Ford back on council. Doug Ford would have to quit when his brother was ready to return, councillors would have to vote to run another appointment process rather than a byelection and then they'd have to vote to appoint Rob Ford.

Mascarin pointed out there is no guarantee that an elected official could quit their seat and be entitled to step back into the seat when they decide to return.

Doug Ford said he'll be helping out his brother no matter what over the next few months.

"Whether or not something formally is done I will be helping out Rob's constituents while he recovers," said the ex-councillor and runner-up in the 2014 mayor's race. "They can't stop me from doing that. I will make sure the constituents are looked after."​

Rob Ford's councillor e-mail newsletter issued early Friday morning repeated his thanks to residents for "the huge outpouring of support" that he's received since his cancer diagnosis last September.

"Your good will, and positive energy, have been a huge help both to myself, and to my family. I can't thank you enough," Ford stated.

He went on to stress his council office will "still be there to help" while he's in hospital and at home recovering from surgery.

"As always, you can reach me at home at 416-233-6934," Ford wrote.

The councillor's newsletter also included an ad for the $300 per person Rob Ford and Doug Ford campaign fundraiser on May 14 at their mom's house. Both Fords are trying to pay off their 2014 campaign debts.

Both Ford brothers came out vehemently against council appointing someone to fill a vacant council seat back in 2013.

The Fords fought unsuccessfully for council to call a $225,000 byelection when Doug Holyday vacated his council seat after being elected as an MPP.

“You can’t put a price on democracy,” Rob Ford told council at the time.

After council voted for an appointment, then-councillor Doug Ford warned there would be behind-the-scenes deals around the appointment process.

“This is the worst thing for democracy the city has ever seen,” he said at the time. “It’s the council ignoring the will of the people.”

Every time Warmington calls Don Peat "pistol" I cringe. I've never seen anyone else refer to Peat that way and I can't imagine he wants to have anything to do with him.[...]

Lol -- it's absolutely hilarious that Peat has now written what is essentially the rebuttal to Worms' item, extensively quoting municipal law lawyer John Mascarin.

"I am certain that if council decides to appoint there is a policy that dictates how the appointment process works and it most certainly does not allow a resigning candidate to hand pick their successor."

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/03/ford-brother-swap-highly-unlikely-expert

Nice shot, Pistol Pete :)

[...]

To understand anything that comes from any of the Fords, you really need to think like a toddler.

100% this, over and over again. Streetcars slow your drive on St. Clair? Build your whole transit strategy around running them out of town. Hate paying a nickel for a bag even though it discourages packaging waste? NO NO NO I HATE PAYING THAT NICKEL. And on and on and on.

"Ok Robbie, now think hard why an elected official might not get to choose his brother to sit in his office if he gets sick and has to stay home... No, he isn't allowed to do that.... No, seriously, he's not allowed to do that, think hard about why."

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/02/rob-ford-wants-brother-doug-to-fill-in-for-him-on-council

TORONTO - Just call it the Ford swap.

“We need to keep our eye on every dime bag,†he said. “Doug does that very well.â€

A bit behind but I couldn't resist.

These Frods just think they can slip in and out of City Hall at will like they own the place. I hope any stupid notions of having Doug "fill in" never see the light of day at Council. I also like that Don Peat refuted Worms' piece with an actual expert.

The council should say "yes, we agree you should be replaced while you can't work."

Then replace him with Domise.

Except if that were the case it would Luke LaRocque (11% of the Ward 2 vote) not Domise (8%) getting the seat....

A bit behind but I couldn't resist.

These Frods just think they can slip in and out of City Hall at will like they own the place. I hope any stupid notions of having Doug "fill in" never see the light of day at Council. I also like that Don Peat refuted Worms' piece with an actual expert.

Fords are such complete hypocrites. Back when Holyday stepped down from council...

Rob Ford said:
“This is the worst thing for democracy the city’s ever seen,” Councillor Ford said. “Council is going to force their will against the people of Etobicoke Centre and appoint a left-leaning, tax-and-spend councillor, and they’ll be accountable to the councillors.”
Ford decried “the sense of arrogance and entitlement that these councillors have down here that they’re in charge. We believe the people are in charge, not these politicians that connive and sneak and make their backroom deals.”
And now they want their own backroom deal.

I have a question, JG. Rob said earlier his doctors wanted his tumor to shrink to two centimetres, or thereabouts, before going ahead with surgery. He described his tumor as much larger today. Allowing for the fact that Rob is not articulate, any thoughts on why the story has changed? My guess is that with the larger tumor, Rob's doctors have less of a chance for full resection with wide margins than they do with a smaller tumor. Still, it's better to go in with lower odds than to leave it alone, which only has one outcome. Does sound like a reasonable interpretation?

Pretty much. From the sounds of it they're going to go for aggressive "debulking". Whether they can get clear margins is debatable, and they won't really know whether they can even resect all the "macro" disease until they're in. This is the sort of case where a much shorter OR than the planned 8-10 hours is a bad sign, i.e. that they couldn't proceed with the full procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back