News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. You wouldn't always provide free content. You'd do it sometimes, just like product sampling. Or you may do a stint as a guest blogger to drive traffic to your own blog/site/work

Most of Levant's 'contributors' live in their parents' basement.

I've never understood why people write professionally for free. If you're word isn't worth being compensated for (certainly the website you're blogging on is using your content to drive ad revenue), then what's it worth?
The site I work for has a bunch of health professionals who write for free. They do it because they enjoy writing and want to raise their profiles. Like one guy got elected to his professional body's board largely based on the name he made for himself blogging.

Sometimes it's to get your name out there. Just like companies give their product for free. (I'm a professional writer)

It's undervaluing your own work if someone else asks you to work for free vs. your offering to work for free.

Too many industries have taken advantage of free work, and that seems to be growing every year. Be it unpaid internships, work on spec, etc.

I've been an off and on freelance graphic designer for two decades now. I've done work for large-scale real estate companies (good clients) to mom and pop shops (~30% good clients) and everything inbetween. Every designer I know has been propositioned for free work. "We offer great exposure!", "We'll send you all our work when me hit it big!","We don't have much money, but we need a modest ($10,000 custom-built CMS) website and we'll send all our business friends your way!"

Everyone thinks their business is going to make millions, and 99% of the time, taking their business on spec or for free will drive you to the edge of madness and make you hate humanity. People who request free work are inherently selfish and you'll end up with a client who has zero respect for your work, time or life.

Reactions: YPQ
Also to note, "free work" isn't just limited to dinky nutjob sites like the Rebel.

Neither HuffPo or Forbes pay bloggers.

Which is kind of funny considering how many small blogs and sites *do* and still afford to stay afloat.

http://whopays.scratchmag.net

I honestly don't pay attention to Levant and his Rebel nonsense. Let him think he is important...

TheRebel is a great source of satire and parody! They are still promoting Big Oil although it has but the prov. close to bankruptcy (financially, morally they crossed that line years ago), and growing unemployment.

tom furr.JPG

https://twitter.com/JohnFurrToronto/status/671444913578450944

Attachments

• tom furr.JPG
    tom furr.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 471
This is true and I wish he wouldn't do that. Why be afraid of someone who likely won't be around in a year?

This is true and I wish he wouldn't do that. Why be afraid of someone who likely won't be around in a year?
What was the context, and what should he have said instead? I would be peeved too if someone who supported the worst person ever to do my job criticized me for doing anything. I certainly didn't get fear from that short clip.

TheRebel is a great source of satire and parody! They are still promoting Big Oil although it has but the prov. close to bankruptcy (financially, morally they crossed that line years ago), and growing unemployment.

Still promoting Big Oil, but also claiming that oil companies 'don't represent' the oil industry, just because some of them endorsed Notley's energy program.

What was the context, and what should he have said instead? I would be peeved too if someone who supported the worst person ever to do my job criticized me for doing anything. I certainly didn't get fear from that short clip.

Me neither. I get the sense that when Ford comes up, even indirectly, Tory's really saying 'Look, the less I say about that doofus, the better' but he's soft-pedalling it so he doesn't come off as vindictive.

Still promoting Big Oil, but also claiming that oil companies 'don't represent' the oil industry, just because some of them endorsed Notley's energy program.

Very true. When I think about the crap coming out of their collective mouths, especially about energy consumption, it seems they are stuck in 50's America. Levant at times really mirrors McCarthy or to stay current, Rush Limbaugh.

Me neither. I get the sense that when Ford comes up, even indirectly, Tory's really saying 'Look, the less I say about that doofus, the better' but he's soft-pedalling it so he doesn't come off as vindictive.

I don't blame Tory, Robbie & Dougie push me-pull me thing with him. I am sure there is a lot of unresolved feelings still there after the election crap.

Very true. When I think about the crap coming out of their collective mouths, especially about energy consumption, it seems they are stuck in 50's America. Levant at times really mirrors McCarthy or to stay current, Rush Limbaugh.

Or, maybe more amongst the followers than the ringleaders, LaRouche.

It's undervaluing your own work if someone else asks you to work for free vs. your offering to work for free.

Too many industries have taken advantage of free work, and that seems to be growing every year. Be it unpaid internships, work on spec, etc.

I've been an off and on freelance graphic designer for two decades now. I've done work for large-scale real estate companies (good clients) to mom and pop shops (~30% good clients) and everything inbetween. Every designer I know has been propositioned for free work. "We offer great exposure!", "We'll send you all our work when me hit it big!","We don't have much money, but we need a modest ($10,000 custom-built CMS) website and we'll send all our business friends your way!"

Everyone thinks their business is going to make millions, and 99% of the time, taking their business on spec or for free will drive you to the edge of madness and make you hate humanity. People who request free work are inherently selfish and you'll end up with a client who has zero respect for your work, time or life.

Hey, that comedian went to highschool with me and Sandro. Funny guy!

I don't blame Tory, Robbie & Dougie push me-pull me thing with him. I am sure there is a lot of unresolved feelings still there after the election crap.

... plus the fact Tory 'endorsed' Doug in 2010, Ma Ford's assertion that the family would 'let' Tory be mayor and then it would be 'Robbie's turn', etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back