News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He still has active social media accounts though. If he really was dead, they would make a big deal about it.
If they haven't found a way to use the event to the maximum yet then as usual they would sit on it, it's all about public image and politics unfortunately.

I've been reading Mark Towhey's book, Mayor Rob Ford: Uncontrollable. The real work during Rob's term as mayor was his staff. Rob was only concerned about potholes or being an overpaid 311 operator for the city.

51RG13OXfsL._SX335_BO1204203200_.jpg

Oh, and re IHTW, they did finally acknowledged his passing through sharing the statement from RoFo's office. Nothing too spectacular there.

I am not sure why they felt compelled to attend other than some misguided sense/display of chivalry- it got all the optics of, and will inevitably be misinterpreted as dancing on one's grave.

Honestly the guy is dead, time to leave it all behind and let his own circle grief him for what he is. The rest of us who knew nothing about him other than his public persona don't - and more importantly, shouldn't call him a saint and grief with them just to make us feel better about our own supposed humanity. Think - who are you doing this for, really.

AoD

However, I can see how things can turn out to be so-and-so; and it really boils down to what his means of death flung into the spotlight about his preceding behaviour--that is, Graeme as a victim of mental illness. And not just in private; but in display, out in the open. And we're fresh enough from the last Bell "Let's Talk" campaign (bathos and all, yeah I know) to know that, well, this stuff's important. And ironically, if *anyone's* prepared to tackle this angle, it's his so-called "enemies", because *they* were in the best position to notice that there was "something not right" about his Twitter behaviour--and his self-inflicted passing altogether affirms their concerns.

As for "his own circle", they're more likely to be in clueless denial--not just about him, but what it all may reflect about themselves.

I have never heard people make assumptions on his behaviour on twitter, I thought he was just a troll. I won't assume he was mentally ill or depressed, maybe he took his life for a specific reason. As far as raising a glass to him, that one girl who is really upset knew him in real life. Jude and Chris, not sure.

However, I can see how things can turn out to be so-and-so; and it really boils down to what his means of death flung into the spotlight about his preceding behaviour--that is, Graeme as a victim of mental illness. And not just in private; but in display, out in the open. And we're fresh enough from the last Bell "Let's Talk" campaign (bathos and all, yeah I know) to know that, well, this stuff's important. And ironically, if *anyone's* prepared to tackle this angle, it's his so-called "enemies", because *they* were in the best position to notice that there was "something not right" about his Twitter behaviour--and his self-inflicted passing altogether affirms their concerns.

As for "his own circle", they're more likely to be in clueless denial--not just about him, but what it all may reflect about themselves.

The recasting of him as a victim is also highly problematical - and mourning his death as a commentary to mental illness is again transposing an event into some cause that's kind of after the fact, with a load of baggage attached. The whole thing has the making of bad taste in one's mouth.

AoD

Last edited:
I have never heard people make assumptions on his behaviour on twitter, I thought he was just a troll. I won't assume he was mentally ill or depressed, maybe he took his life for a specific reason. As far as raising a glass to him, that one girl who is really upset knew him in real life. Jude and Chris, not sure.

Even in Twitterland, discretion explains why people might not have verbalized brash, open assumptions (much less accusations) on the spot--the fact is, Graeme's death is a game-changer. And even back then, to dismiss him as just a "troll" was too pat--remember that even *I* (a non-Twitterer) expressed what turned out to be to be farsighted "this just ain't right" concerns; however, there'd be an understandable reluctance among many to head too far, too prematurely in that kind of potential armchair-psychobabble direction.

And I really don't know what kind of "specific reason" wouldn't be related to some form of depression/illness--and also, I do not want to sugarcoat the mentally ill in bleeding-heart terms; after all, more often than not they're the sorts of people whom we'd rather avoid at some level or another (smelly street people and the like); or at least, steer clear of recommending them asterisk-free as employers or as tenants or roommates or whatever else.

Of course, the *pro*-Fords could always paint Graeme as the victim of the same old lefty hyenas. As far as the Fords go, a token statement will do; otherwise, Graeme's just collateral, no different from any drug casualties (including the Chuvalo boys?) that resulted from Doug/Randy/Kathy's dealings back in the day. Hey, some people can't handle it; them's the breaks...

The recasting of him as a victim is also highly problematical - and mourning his death as a commentary to mental illness is again transposing an event into some cause that's kind of after the fact, with a load of baggage attached. The whole thing has the making of bad taste in one's mouth.

AoD

That is, if you frame it too much in terms of "mourning", rather than simple "reflecting and understanding"; and it does highlight a lot of the most egregious Fordlandia-style trolling in a new light--even if a good deal of their trauma was self-inflicted or aggravated through bad decisions and stupidity. (Perhaps this whole issue's best read through a "Filion" prism rather than a "Towhey" prism.)

A timely reminder today of what the media endured, specifically D. Dale, for reporting on Ford Nation here:

ddale8 9:37pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm only gonna share one of these, promise, but this is how Trump's anonymous online army thinks.

Based Identitarian @skiguru
Shut it cancuck. You lie & you are a poor excuse for a man. Trump has the balls to protect freedom #Trump2016 twitter.com/ddale8/status/…

Constantly bombarding one with threats can't be very good for the mental health of anyone on the receiving end of these online armies...

Last edited:
A timely reminder today of what the media endured, specifically D. Dale, for reporting on Ford Nation here:

ddale8 9:37pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm only gonna share one of these, promise, but this is how Trump's anonymous online army thinks.

Based Identitarian @skiguru
Shut it cancuck. You lie & you are a poor excuse for a man. Trump has the balls to protect freedom #Trump2016 twitter.com/ddale8/status/…

Constantly bombarding one with threats can't be very good for the mental health of anyone on the receiving end of these online armies...

Well, I can't wait for the wall - to keep those crazies out.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back