News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towhey just lit into him, said it never happened, told him to produce proof, said he was a terrible person lying about a dead guIt didn't happen on Towhey's watch, but still - how could he not know that? And this morning Sue-Ann Levy writes that the reason he didn't want to fund the Pride Parade wasn't because he was homophobic but because he opposed QAIA marching. That'd be fine, if he didn't ALSO never attend the parade, lie about why he wasn't attending, and try to have the flag taken down

Rob Ford was a reflection of his fans. Towhey isn't homophobic, so implying Rob Ford was is like accusing Towhey himself of it. Of course he's going to vehemently deny it, even if it can be proven.

Likewise, fighting against QuAIA is one of Levy's personal crusades. Ford wanted to defund the parade long before QuAIA became an issue, so it became an item of political convenience and nothing more. But Levy doesn't want to see that.

A broken mirror reflects a distorted image, even when the self isn't. And you'll never convince someone they have cracks running through half their face.

Rob Ford was a reflection of his fans. Towhey isn't homophobic, so implying Rob Ford was is like accusing Towhey himself of it. Of course he's going to vehemently deny it, even if it can be proven.

Likewise, fighting against QuAIA is one of Levy's personal crusades. Ford wanted to defund the parade long before QuAIA became an issue, so it became an item of political convenience and nothing more. But Levy doesn't want to see that.

If not QuAIA, it would be the kerfuffle around nudity. If not that, it would be the in your face sexuality. Easy to find an issue they could hitch onto and proclaim moral indignation.

As to Towhey, he ain't a saint - one should have read his blog (since taken down) on some of his views - e.g. scrapping Parliament.

AoD

I think Doug, Diane et al are going to be disappointed by the response to Rob's dying. I'm sure they expected the park to be filled with flowers, City Hall to be swarmed with grieving acolytes and candle light memorials across all of Toronto. So far it's been pretty underwhelming.

Sure they've dominated the news cycle for a few hours but that will taper off shortly and Ford Nation will be a distant memory.

My Facebook is filled with supporters calling him the greatest mayor ever, etc. Even people who never liked him before are now remembering him in a positive light.

No surprise as I'm from his neighbourhood. Some guys from our old Scarlett Heights team want to name the field after him.

Never underestimate the appeal of demagogues/fascists and the willingness of mainstream society to go along with them. The Rob Ford buzz is disgusting.

I have to stop reading things ... such as "the drugs and alcohol made him do stupid things, and because addiction is a mental health issue, it's ok" or "it's all lies that he was homophobic, racist, misogynistic" or "forgive him now that he has died". And then of course, the goalposts get moved to the provincial Liberals and the gas plant scandals .... because that has so much to do with who Rob Ford was. And how he needed help which we (the public?) didn't give him. And it goes on. My head hurts.

So, there's nothing new here. People building him up to be something he wasn't, or ever could be. It has the air of anti climax to me.

Yeah, and of course they've already been disappointed once when he got elected. I could be wrong, but there is a strong underlying current of wanting to be believe in something - anything - among his supporters, no matter how unlikely.

AoD

It didn't happen on Towhey's watch, but still - how could he not know that? And this morning Sue-Ann Levy writes that the reason he didn't want to fund the Pride Parade wasn't because he was homophobic but because he opposed QAIA marching. That'd be fine, if he didn't ALSO never attend the parade, lie about why he wasn't attending, and try to have the flag taken down.

I'm not going to read SAL's revisionist drivel but yeah, Ford said multiple times he wouldn't attend Pride (“I’ve never been to a pride parade. So I’m not going to change the way I am"), claimed he was always at the cottage for "Canada Day weekend" (which isn't a thing unless Canada Day is on Friday or Monday...so which is it, the cottage or his beliefs?), called men fags, the whole flagpole debacle that made him look like a child etc. As if "Israeli apartheid" is high on the list of issues he cares about. Even her fellow Sun staffer Mandel recognized Ford for what he was - http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/01/real-rob-ford-is-racist-sexist-homophobic

Last edited:
But you couldn't resist dropping in for a visit in the middle of the night yourself.

Yeah, I was taking a moment to read into some reactions of the death around the web, and thought I'd check in here. Glad I did -- that aforementioned comment gave me the first big laugh of the day. Somehow, even in death, this man is still managing to terrorize some of you guys. He'd truly be proud.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of revisionist history -- it bothered me when Jack Layton was made into a saint -- but I haven't seen much revisionist history this time around, except from some public figures (like Towhey, who criticized this man endlessly less than a year ago). Pretty much every piece has made a point to acknowledge his troubles and flaws, but the reality is that there's a lot of love for the man too, even if that's at odds with how everyone here feels. Its not revisionism - over a third of the city supported him back when he dropped out, and most of them still do. And they're perfectly entitled to celebrate his life and share their opinion of his mayoralty.

I wonder now if anyone will try to represent those same group of voters, or if things will just go back to usual politics at the next election. Will be interesting to see, even though I expect its the latter.

I'm not going to read SAL's revisionist drivel but yeah, Ford said multiple times he wouldn't attend Pride (“I’ve never been to a pride parade. So I’m not going to change the way I am"), claimed he was always at the cottage for "Canada Day weekend" (which isn't a thing unless Canada Day is on Friday or Monday...so which is it, the cottage or his beliefs?), called men fags, the whole flagpole debacle that made him look like a child etc. As if "Israeli apartheid" is high on the issue he cares about. Even her fellow Sun staffer Mandel recognized Ford for what he was - http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/01/real-rob-ford-is-racist-sexist-homophobic

Oh and remember the whole refusal to build a bike shower at NPS on the quip that, let me paraphrase, it will become a place for people to have sex in?

AoD

If that's a comment on the sex ed curriculum (somehow, the juxtaposition of Wynne and "my son" suggests as much), I pity your son has a father like you.

Excuse any errors in the following comment but my hands are shaking while I write this.

I have read some ignorant comments on here but this one might be the worst! To question what kind of father I am to my child? I would love to see you say that to my face! Maybe all references to Wynne are regarding her sexuality to you but in case you missed it she is the Premiere of the province and has numerous responsibilities outside of the sex ed curriculum including the provinces finances (I won't bother getting into the litany of failures and lies that would take hours to list).

The reason I think my child will suffer as a result of her governance is that she is going to bankrupt this province in her own self interest (IE: getting re-elected). I believe the third biggest expense in the provincial budget is INTEREST payments! What do you think we get out of interest payments?! And this is with historically low interest rates! What happens when interest rates go up? I hate to say it but I think my 8 year old has a brighter future in Putin's Russia (my guys mother is Russian) than he does in Wynne's Ontario.

You might want to read a little closer to my comments. There was nothing about Wynn's sexuality or sex ed curriculum even hinted at in any way as that had never crossed my mind (as far as I know my kid has not even reached that part of the curriculum as he only entered the public school system 2 months ag0).

Jenny YuenVerified account ‏@SunReporterYuen 12h 12 hours ago
Michael Ford helps Diane and Kathy Ford with parking ticket problem before leaving garage across hospital. #TOPoli
CeKmloUUYAE6utQ.jpg:large

plus one other in Jenny Yuen's twitter.
What is this TMZ? Picture of people leaving the hospital after the loss of a loved one? How sad for you people!

I just caught a glimpse of CP24 and the ticker read "Ford Memorial Continues to Grow" as the featured a close-up of flowers in the park. It slowly panned out and just as it was about to reveal the modest amount of flowers it abruptly cut away. Guess they're going to try to run with this for awhile longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back