News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Ford was a mirror for many people. Not that he had much in the way of redeeming social qualities or graces, nor that he could persuade with any great skill. He fed the narcissism of a select percentage of Toronto who felt angry no one wanted to listen to their socially-backward ignorance. He was "them", and that's why they liked him.
Par for Populist politics.

Please site any evidence done to the city as the result of his behaviour.

He destroyed his body....and he has to answer for this?

Karma? Really?

Sorry for the previous deleted error filled post,I've been a little unwell, but I'm sure droyces will be along shortly to help me get well....

I didn't realize you were new to Toronto, so please google "Rob Ford destroys Toronto" and educate yourself.

Hell, yes he should have taken ownership for destroying his body. Which he ultimately did. Having a wife, children and a Ward to take care of, ultimately wasn't enough for him to straighten up.

Pattycakes, thank you for your comment. What could I have possibly done to help an addict I've never met,whose values are totally opposite to mine? The only time I've felt truly scared is when I see Trump advance and they compare him to Ford. Scares the crap out me.

I'll give you the one about LGBQ but the others you list are things he believed in even if the majority of the people on here don't. It seems like what has people on here upset the most is that his policies were different than theirs.

He was elected to be the mayor of all the people of Toronto and to lead the city. He was not elected to be the mayor of all the candy Rob Ford wanted for himself.

I went to City Hall around 5:45/6 or so, and my impression was that it was all pretty subdued--only about 20-30 people in line for the condolence book. Wondered if it was a matter of everything still sinking in, or whether (given Ford's support base) there'd be more condolence-book action in the suburban venues, or whether, true to the Fords, the actual "depth" of Ford-love out there is all smoke and mirrors. And I only saw a couple of chalkings, one on the ground, one on the ramp wall (I wasn't aware of Mammo's contribution, much less where it was). And also, Ford being Ford, I wonder if any messages now or forthcoming will (sadly) involve crack jokes and the like.
However, I'm also hearing that Douglas Ford Park's become a destination for flowers and tributes; maybe that, in the end, will be the true epicentre of folk-memorializing...

Genuine question: what did you find 'charismatic' about him? Many people seemed to find the same thing in the sad sack of lard.

I found him repulsive. Genuinely difficult to view or listen to when he spoke. Can you try to explain to someone like myself what drew you to him?

I've never understood people saying he's charismatic. Next to Doug, maybe, but the bar is awfully low...

Try this: http://www.christindal.ca/2016/03/22/remembering-rob-ford/

There's a big difference between saying "he was great guy" or "he meant well" etc (whitewashing), and simply observing that he wasn't the absolute worst for every nanosecond of his existence. I can understand that some people don't want to be told that they should feel something based on another person's experiences, but then don't get mad when everyone doesn't feel exactly like you do.

However, I'm also hearing that Douglas Ford Park's become a destination for flowers and tributes; maybe that, in the end, will be the true epicentre of folk-memorializing...

There was a soppy piece on CP24 talking about a "growing memorial" at Douglas B. Ford Park, so soppy that they actually played sad music over this poignant scene of Diane and Randy stopping by to view this overwhelming display of affection.

Screen shot 2016-03-22 at 11.51.02 PM.png

That was the third take, filmed sometime this afternoon, when the poor man hadn't been dead more than a few hours, and yet the family already has their grieving under sufficient control that they could spare a few minutes for a CP24 camera crew.

God bless them.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-22 at 11.51.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-22 at 11.51.02 PM.png
    492.6 KB · Views: 636
Here's a comment from IHTWORF:
Jane Hodgins I feel very sad. RIP, Rob Ford. You were real. You were passionate. You cared. You fought like hell for the underdog and understood that the taxpayer should not be footing the bill for all of the promiscuous raises TO politicians continually vote/d themselves or for their injudicious decisions regarding priorities and infrastructure. I will miss you and will pray for the repose of your soul and for the comfort of your family in their loss of a husband, father, son, and brother.

I'll give you this much in that you site specific instances rather than some others who made simple generalizations. As for the justice he didn't get in this life:

I believe that drunk driving, without causing an accident or anyone getting hurt, is simply a loss of your drivers license (punishment should be higher but that is what I think it is currently)...

Ummm... you do realize that Ford didn't choose to "not cause an accident of hurt anyone" while driving drunk, right? He (and everyone else on the roads/sidewalks) just got incredibly lucky. He could have very easily ended up like Marco Muzzo, killing a carload of innocent people. This went on for years, even before he was mayor. It's a miracle that no one got killed.

You know what else can compromise the immune system? Cancer.
Ya, I think you need to step back and give your head a shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back