News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know why the Fords insist on being *this* vindictive. Forget burning bridges - they're outright nuking them from the comfort of their radio show.

“I know she’s in over her head,” the mayor said of the TTC chair, who is widely regarded
as a likely challenger in the next election. “I don’t trust her as far as I could throw her,” said Doug Ford, who criticized Stintz for
going to watch the Blue Jays take on the Yankees while on a transit trip to New York City
last week. The councillor accused her of “having a great time on the back of the taxpayers.” “I don’t listen to that radio show,” the TTC chair said Sunday in response. “The taxpayers did not send me to the Yankees game, I can assure you that,” Stintz told
the Star.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...d_i_guess_im_off_his_christmas_card_list.html

I saw David Miller at the football match yesterday and, even though I never voted for him, I wanted to ask him to come back and save usfrom this joke of a mayoralty. Buuuut, I didn't because I didn't like him as mayor either..... almost, almost.
Somebody save us, please.

Well, starting at the province, I'd say preventing waste is a good efficiency, and could free up the provincial coffers to contribute more to urban mass transit. For example, let's take the combined waste of just three Ontario programs:

1) Gas plant relocation fees - est. $733 million to $1 billion
2) eHealth poor execution - est. $1 billion in unnecessary spending
3) Ornge air ambulance poor execution - no govt oversight of $700 million budget (unnecessary spending $ TBA)
4) Bonuses for everyone - in 2011 98% of ON govt managers rec'd a bonus payout, cost $37 million

There's at least two billion dollars right here in wasteful spending. Imagine if the province instead had allocated those funds to building mass transit in urban centers. Hopefully Toronto would have rec'd at least one third of this, so that $600 million. Since this level of waste happens everyday in govt, let's have the province instead give the $600 to the TTC annually instead. No you can't build subways with $600 million, but with this amount each year you can get started.

This is what people mean by efficiencies. It's another word for waste.

Lets not forget the biggest boondoggle of them all - George Smitherman's Green Energy Act "GEA". The $Billions that we stand to lose as a result of the "Greed" Energy Act will make the above waste look like pocket change.

So far - according to the auditor general - it has cost the province $2 Billion to sell at a loss renewable energy to neighboring States. This is because 80% of the Green Energy produced is generated out-of-sync with demand. Because of the Feed in Tariff "FIT" program (also "fathered" by George Smitherman) the province is forced to purchase this energy whether we need it or not and sell it at a loss. Some of the companies with these lucrative FIT contracts are owned by people well connected to the Liberal party - such as the this Liberal Party President who was awarded a $475 Million FIT despite having zero experience in the Power Generation business (spent his adult life "counting paperclips and sharpening pencils for the Liberal Party" - to quote Howard Hampton).

http://pfrpo.ca/articles.php?command=print&ID=18502

The total losses from the GEA are almost incalculable and include the $Billions in lost tax revenues associated with the decimation of our manufacturing and forestry industries that were hard hit by skyrocketing energy rates (industrial customers saw their Hydro rates increase over 30% in just four years!).

Now I know we cannot get this money back. We cannot tear up these "FIT" contracts since the province would be sued for $Billions. I mention this because the same crooks responsible for this plundering of the province are now coming to us and saying "trust us" let us raise your taxes - give us the "revenue tools" and we will direct every dollar into expanding public transit. "Trust us when we say we cannot build another mile of public transit without these "tools""

I'm not buying it and I'm surprised at how many people are. I think for many people it is just a knee-jerk reaction. If Rob Ford is against something they must be for it.

And one final thing. What is the "father" of the Green Energy Act doing today? Today this high-school dropout runs his own "consulting" company where he sells his renewable energy expertise. I wonder if he has received any juicy consulting contracts from SAMSUNG?

Say what you will about Rob Ford. By electing Rob Ford Mayor - I'm convinced Toronto was spared from a great disaster!

Last edited:
Well, starting at the province, I'd say preventing waste is a good efficiency, and could free up the provincial coffers to contribute more to urban mass transit. For example, let's take the combined waste of just three Ontario programs:

3) Ornge air ambulance poor execution - no govt oversight of $700 million budget (unnecessary spending $ TBA)
4) Bonuses for everyone - in 2011 98% of ON govt managers rec'd a bonus payout, cost $37 million

There's at least two billion dollars right here in wasteful spending. Imagine if the province instead had allocated those funds to building mass transit in urban centers. Hopefully Toronto would have rec'd at least one third of this, so that $600 million. Since this level of waste happens everyday in govt, let's have the province instead give the $600 to the TTC annually instead. No you can't build subways with $600 million, but with this amount each year you can get started.

It's great that you, like everyone else, can point out where the government has wasted money in the past. I'm sure we can find plenty of examples of money wasted by just about every government, Liberal, Conservative and NDP going all they way back to when Ontario became a province. Unfortunately you've done absolutely nothing to point out money that we haven't spent yet that can be realistically diverted to transit funding. Until that can be detailed the Liberals are the only ones with a plan, whether you like that plan or not.

It's great that you, like everyone else, can point out where the government has wasted money in the past. I'm sure we can find plenty of examples of money wasted by just about every government, Liberal, Conservative and NDP going all they way back to when Ontario became a province. Unfortunately you've done absolutely nothing to point out money that we haven't spent yet that can be realistically diverted to transit funding. Until that can be detailed the Liberals are the only ones with a plan, whether you like that plan or not.

Well said. Of course money has been wasted or spent on things that are now seen as unnecessary (drinking troughs for horses?) but we now need to face up to the fact that we REALLY need better public transit and that getting it will cost money. Is this to be NEW money or money taken from existing programs like health, welfare, schools or ?

1) Gas plant relocation fees - est. $733 million to $1 billion...

ALL three provincial political parties wanted the move the gas electrical plants. Don't know about the Green party, but that would make it all four.

Back on topic, Rob Ford has not found billions in efficiencies in the City of Toronto. More like thousands, penny-pitching yes but not billions. Instead, he prefers to cut services, which he campaigned with "service excellence, guaranteed".

My understanding is that it's money to be taken from future waste. :rolleyes:
I can understand your sentiment for sure. I think what many people want is the assurance that the current tax revenue is being properly spent before authorizing additional taxes. This seems reasonable to me.

If new taxes are not approved, then we must find the revenue to build transit and replace infrastructure from existing revenue. This would mean cuts in many departments at both municipal and provincial governments.

We need to ask ourselves what do we expect from government, and what are we willing to de-fund, reduce or shut down.

Here's the list of Ontario departments, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ontario_government_departments_and_agencies

Here's Toronto's departments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:City_of_Toronto_departments

I'll look them over after work today.

Last edited:
Lets not forget the biggest boondoggle of them all - George Smitherman's Green Energy Act "GEA". The $Billions that we stand to lose as a result of the "Greed" Energy Act will make the above waste look like pocket change.

So far - according to the auditor general - it has cost the province $2 Billion to sell at a loss renewable energy to neighboring States. This is because 80% of the Green Energy produced is generated out-of-sync with demand. Because of the Feed in Tariff "FIT" program (also "fathered" by George Smitherman) the province is forced to purchase this energy whether we need it or not and sell it at a loss. Some of the companies with these lucrative FIT contracts are owned by people well connected to the Liberal party - such as the this Liberal Party President who was awarded a $475 Million FIT despite having zero experience in the Power Generation business (spent his adult life "counting paperclips and sharpening pencils for the Liberal Party" - to quote Howard Hampton).

http://pfrpo.ca/articles.php?command=print&ID=18502

The total losses from the GEA are almost incalculable and include the $Billions in lost tax revenues associated with the decimation of our manufacturing and forestry industries that were hard hit by skyrocketing energy rates (industrial customers saw their Hydro rates increase over 30% in just four years!).

Now I know we cannot get this money back. We cannot tear up these "FIT" contracts since the province would be sued for $Billions. I mention this because the same crooks responsible for this plundering of the province are now coming to us and saying "trust us" let us raise your taxes - give us the "revenue tools" and we will direct every dollar into expanding public transit. "Trust us when we say we cannot build another mile of public transit without these "tools""

I'm not buying it and I'm surprised at how many people are. I think for many people it is just a knee-jerk reaction. If Rob Ford is against something they must be for it.

And one final thing. What is the "father" of the Green Energy Act doing today? Today this high-school dropout runs his own "consulting" company where he sells his renewable energy expertise. I wonder if he has received any juicy consulting contracts from SAMSUNG?

Say what you will about Rob Ford. By electing Rob Ford Mayor - I'm convinced Toronto was spared from a great disaster!

You are just repeating a standard Tim Hudak &C propaganda that twists and distorts GEA program. For starters, your $2bln dollars are taken out of context--the actual quoted amount was $1bln, and it was quoted by C.D. Howe Institute, who calculated that Ontario electricity customers subsidized power exports at that cost since 2006, well before the GEA was introduced. It is jsut a nature of producing electricity, where it is very hard to control the exact production, be it solar/wind power or nuclear power.

Second, the cost of electricity was up due to mismanagements of maintaining the power-generating facilities and managing existing resources. The FIT program does not require the taxpayer to subsidize any projects. The Power Authority sets a price per kWh that is designed to attract private investment to build projects. So, the projects are built entirely using private money. Moreover, even with greater kWh rate, the extra cost only kicks in after the system is up and running, which was not a case until late 2011. There are many factors affecting cost of the electricity to consumers, the refurbishment of Bruce B and the Big Becky tunnel project, which both ran significantly over-budget is one of them. According numbers from the Environment Commissioner, the price paid for solar and wind energy under the Feed-In Tariff program (FIT) adds less than $1.50 to the average monthly household electricity bill.Compare it to much greater cost associated with "debt recover", "delivery", and some other maintenance cost, hidden in the hydro bill.

Third, the GEA was not a Smitherman's personal project; it was modelled by one of the most innovative and successful worldwide energy project in Germany. Fourth, The Samsung deal includes a $110 million dollar subsidy over 10 years in exchange for the creation of 4 major renewable energy factories (Panels, Inverters, Towers, Blades) and the creation of 16,000 jobs. This is similar to subsidies given to auto manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM) and other major employers to attract business to Ontario. The Tim Hudak claim of $7 billion deal in reality is an investment by Samsung in renewable energy in Ontario. BTW, do you know about local content of the Fit/MicroFit equipment and labour? It is more than 50%, which is a direct investment in local the production.

I agree it is not the best managed program, it needs to be more flexible and adaptive, but it already makes our air cleaner as we are closing our last coal-burning power stations. I personally installed a 3.5kWt system, which already has generated close to 10 mWh of solar energy... I didn't think of MicroFit when I decided to install the PV solar system. My idea was to be as energy-independent as possible and to contribute a bit to the environment. It turned it that Toronto Hydro did not provide the switch to make it into a hybrid system, the only option was MicroFit. I paid for everything out of my pocket; I even paid for a meter that Toronto Hydro uses to measure my electrical output... Would I still sign a contract with Power Ontario if I would get the same rate for consumption and production? I would, but I doubt many others would, you need to get people see some economic benefits as well. So, please educate yourself on the GEA flaws and merits using sources outside of Tim Hudak's cherry-picking.

It looks like, John Tory, and I'm quoting Popeye here, "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

From the Star at this link:

Tory calls out Ford, Wynne to get transit taxes done
Tory says the mayor and premier have an obligation to put their plans on the table now.

The unelected champion of Toronto area transit taxes is calling out politicians of every stripe in the region — including Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, Premier Kathleen Wynne and their adversaries — to muster the humility to get the job done.

In a blunt lunch speech to the Empire Club, CivicAction chair John Tory is beseeching Toronto city councillors, including Ford, to climb out of their “pit of polarization†on transit.

The former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader also calls on Wynne to apologize for the Liberal government’s scandals around cancelled gas plants and the ORNGE air ambulance spending fiasco as a first step in restoring “a profound lack of trust.â€

He wants the Liberal government to outline how it will protect transit tax dollars from similar breaches.

“We’re at that stage now with the issue that if somebody doesn’t call this,… we’re just heading for another excuse not to do anything,†Tory told the Star Monday morning.

His speech comes as some Toronto city councillors are planning to seize control from the mayor on what kind of tax tools should be used to pay for transit. Ford’s executive last week voted to defer any discussion until it’s too late for Toronto’s voice to inform provincial recommendations on a transit tax strategy.

In a clear swipe at Ford, Tory notes that the next civic election is 18 months away, “and the public would have, in my view, every reason to remind the current administration that they were already elected to govern and to deal with issues like transit, not just to get ready for the next election.â€

He goes on to urge the mayor to reveal how he would build transit if he’s not willing to support any of the provincial suggestions.

“Let’s say you put it off until the election and then we have the election and then you start all over again — is that what we do again? I just see we have an obligation and a situation that’s serious enough that if we don’t act now we’re just putting off what we’re going to do for a number of years,†he told the Star.

Meantime, his speech suggests that it’s time for Ford’s opponents to reconsider the need for a Scarborough subway but not necessarily the Sheppard subway extension the mayor touts.

Tory’s notes indicate that he actually thinks the province should reconsider its existing plan to convert the Scarborough RT to LRT.

“That LRT is going to be replaced in any event and although a subway extension at this stage would present some complications, that line shows the greatest prospects for financial viability as a subway extension,†says Tory.

Although provincial agency Metrolinx maintains it has “shovels in the ground†on the LRTs, including the SRT, no actual construction on the SRT is set to begin until after the PanAm Games in 2015, notes TTC chair and councillor Karen Stintz.

“It makes transit sense to extend the Bloor-Danforth subway (at Kennedy onto the SRT route),†she said.

It would mean that the SRT could continue to run while a subway is built. Under the LRT scenario it would be closed for about four years requiring hundreds of replacement buses to carry those riders.

But whether council ties that subway debate to the issue of which taxes to support to pay for transit expansion, is still being decided.

Stintz says it should be a “request rather than a condition,†of council supporting transit taxes.

But Councillor Michelle Berardinetti (Ward 35, Scarborough Southwest) says she wants the province to direct the first money from any new transit taxes to a Scarborough subway.

“Councillor (Adam) Vaughan called me to ask for my support on his letter to bring revenue tools to council, I asked if he would support my motion that the first amount of funding go to Scarborough. He said well I don’t think I can really support that so I said at this point I’m not going to sign,†she told the Star.

Berardinetti said she has nine out of 10 Scarborough councillors on board with her motion and she’s working on the other 23 councillors she needs to put that motion on the floor.

“Our motion reads that if the provincial government adopts new revenue tools for improved transit projects across the GTA, then the first priority for allocation of any new funds within the city of Toronto be the replacement of the Scarborough RT line from Kennedy station to Sheppard Ave. with the extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway line with an additional cost of $500 million in addition to the $1.8 billion already allocated to the conversion,†she said.

Although there’s “something attractive†about the subway argument, Councillor Josh Matlow said he’s against any motion that will mean opening the master agreement between the province and the city.

“We’re going to get into trouble if we reopening the master agreement,†he said.

He also expressed dismay to read in the media that Stintz has been meeting with provincial officials to talk about revising the existing plan for the province to fund four LRTs on Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch and the SRT.

I doubt if this money had not been wasted, it would have been spent on transit.

Oh yeah - I had forgotten the existing RT conversion plan was going to knock service out for 4+ years.

Honestly, I'd pay $500M just to remove the useless transfer at Kennedy. Keeping service operational with no outage is just an added bonus.

Its unfortunate this has become a hot potato issue just due to the politics involved - because otherwise its a slam dunk easy decision to make.

Indeed. Just lay some bloody subway track on the bed of the SRT line, make the necessary mods. Get on with it.

Admiral lets be honest, you have been on these threads for some time and I will assume you have read them. Knowing that, why are you suggesting something you know is impossible. A Subway train cant make the turns that the SRT trains can. But whatever I too would like to just see this thing built. Its just frustrating when people make it sound like these things are so easily done. Building Lego isn't even that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back