News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Canada and while you are at it, the Universe. Please take your bicycle with you.

Oh hell no. I love Canada. And the universe even more.

Overall I think that succeeding from Ontario is a dumb idea. A REALLY dumb idea. I cannot stress this enough.

I'm just curious about the long term effects that such a move would have on the city since it's something that has been floated around by some at City Hall and Queen's Park a few times.

Well, considering that the last administration felt the need to double the land transfer and vehicle registrations in order to balance the budget, I'd say there could be a case. At the very least, the threat of separation could do wonders to help bring in our fair share of revenue, as it works wonders for Quebec....

No, because the revenues and costs are all so interrrelated, the numbers the Fraser guys and the CPP guys will come up with will be bilions and billions apart ...
It's not related, simply because we can't calculate it properly?

Require the government to break it down. Tax collections per lowest municipal unit per revenue type. Spending by each department. Stuff that is really applied to everyone, put in a separate category.

UT has seven threads with the word "fantasy" in the title. This is not one of them. Creating a separate province (or country) for Toronto is simply not going to happen and though it is sometimes more comforting to live in a fantasy world we, unfortunately, live in a real one with Rob Ford as Mayor. Let's discuss how we can improve things in Toronto that actually might be able to be improved and restrict fantasy to a fantasty thread.

Not exactly related, but it still shows that Kouvalis's tactics still work in BC, especially considering that the NDP once held a fairly solid lead. Kouvalis is the lynchpin in all of this- expect more of this in 2015 if he returns to front Ford's reelection campaign. Anyone running for mayoral office needs to be aware of this.

Surging B.C. Liberals press NDP to mount more aggressive campaign
GARY MASON
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, May. 03 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Last updated Friday, May. 03 2013, 9:11 PM EDT

With polls indicating the incumbent Liberals making a late charge in the B.C. election, look for the front-running New Democrats to become notably more aggressive as the campaign hits the backstretch.

The signs are already apparent. On Friday, NDP Leader Adrian Dix arrived in Penticton to talk about the planned hospital there. A day earlier, Liberal Leader Christy Clark had said at a campaign stop that the NDP intended to kill the project if it got elected – a charge that was completely false. At a news conference, Mr. Dix said the Liberals were trying to scare people into voting for them. Moreover, he said, his opponents had 12 years to build the hospital and did nothing. An NDP government, he said, would get it done.

Until now, Mr. Dix has run a mostly positive campaign, focusing on policy over politics. Ms. Clark, meantime, has led an unmerciful attack on the NDP, gaining traction with an insistent message that the New Democrats will destroy the economy.

It’s a strategy not unlike the one Rob Ford used in his unlikely journey to the mayor’s office in Toronto. In fact, Mr. Ford’s campaign manager, Nick Kouvalis, is working on the Liberal campaign. The Toronto mayor, you may recall, pledged to “end the gravy train” at city hall. It didn’t matter that many of the claims he used to substantiate his slogan didn’t hold up to scrutiny, his message got through.

Ms. Clark is applying very much the same approach. She has promised a debt-free B.C., even though the pledge is based on shaky assumptions and wouldn’t be realized for 15 years at best. She has touted herself as a debt slayer, even though she has racked up financial obligations at a faster rate than any other premier in B.C. history. She has stumped on a balanced budget, even though a legion of reputable analysts has voiced doubts about the veracity of her numbers.

But questions about the shakiness of her claims have merely been an annoyance for the Liberal Leader. Instead, she has led a populist, right-wing crusade that doesn’t let facts get in the way. Like Mr. Ford, Ms. Clark’s ability to focus exclusively on her one, overarching message has been impressive. At campaign stop after campaign stop, she has been unyielding: The Liberals will free the province from debt, the NDP will paralyze the economy by adding to our fiscal liabilities.

Mr. Dix spent the first 10 days or so of the campaign setting out his platform. Then he got ready for the leaders’ televised debate. Along the way, he allowed Ms. Clark to hit her slogan hard. He did nothing to remind voters why, not that long ago, polls showed the Liberals to be one of the most despised governments in the history of the province.

[...]

A new poll released Friday by Ipsos-Reid shows the gap between the two main parties at 10 points – with the NDP at 45 per cent and the Liberals at 35. That is down from a 19-point hole that the same pollster had the Liberals in at the start of the campaign. A day earlier, a survey by Angus Reid had the difference between the two parties at seven points. Split the difference and call it 8.5.

It’s still a lot of terrain to make up in just over a week. But clearly the New Democrats don’t want to see it get any closer and are now shifting gears to ensure that doesn’t happen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...unt-more-aggressive-campaign/article11717275/

The only good thing about having a provincial election now is that after the Conservatives lose again, they may put in someone who isn't completely insane. I say give John Tory another shot at the position, as he is the only one I can think of who could push on the fence voters towards them.

What about Doug Ford? He's already billed himself as the next provincial Conservative leader.

Interesting that just last Friday, Ward 2 just lost another major employer - one that incidentally makes subway tunnels - Lovat. Caterpillar, that great employer bought Lovat a few years ago, now it's a tax write off for those parasites.

From the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...p-to-topple-wynne-government/article11729921/

Toronto city council is set to meet Tuesday and Mr. Ford said he will vote against a motion by Councillor Paul Ainslie that would add a 30-minute recess between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. for council meetings.

The motion says provincial employment standards require a break after five hours of work.

“While members are often free to leave the chamber to take a short break or seek refreshment, the staff typically are not,” the motion reads. “These are also long hours for members of council without a break and sometimes the quality of debate suffers.”

The motion says council meetings would be improved by returning to past practices of having a short dinner break.

Mr. Ford disagreed, and said it’s not that difficult to sneak out for 15 minutes to eat a sandwich. “It’s called working on the fly,” he said.

The mayor also expressed concern that councillors wouldn’t come back to the chamber after the break

Not difficult at all, considering how some managed to arrive late and sneak out for half a day coaching football! The hypocrisy is breathtaking. And concerns about other councillors and not oneself?

AoD

Last edited:
There's been an eerie lull in Ford scandals but a source tells me that something is about to hit. I'm kind of sick of it to be honest. I'd rather Ford just fell into the shadows until the election which is just 6 months from beginning in ernest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back