News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. maybe people should band together and ask 'TEA' (a fraud of an agency) to fight and ask retailers to continue to charge it.

Write the big grocerers.

It's not like it would be illegal to now all of a sudden charge 5 cents for the tax. Heck, the revenue stream stilll goes to the same retailer pockets.

People that are environmentally conscious will continue to refuse bags.

I think it's people who aren't environmentally conscious but will become so once there is a cost attached to an action that's the issue. Since we are talking about effectiveness, perhaps you should enlighten me as to rate of use of plastic bags before and after policy implementation.

AoD

"I think it's people who aren't environmentally conscious but will become so once there is a cost attached to an action that's the issue."

Exactly, plastic bag use is allegedly down which a wonderful thing and the money goes to worthwhile causes- where's the issue?

It's not so much 'showing compassion' or whatever that concerns me. Most of the time that's just political spin. At issue here is the future of the city's heritage properties. Lots of discussion this week, but nothing from the mayor. I guess we're just to assume he doesn't care.

Give the guy a chance already. Look, anyone becoming Mayor will be busy, constantly running and likely putting in long hours. So, if you want to know if he likes or dislikes something will or will not fund something should be at something or should not... write him a letter. Send him a note and ask your question and get an answer. It is one thing not to like some person or like their issues or be concerned about an issue but ranting in the dark without asking your question first is just silly.

So, my big suggestion is ask him and you might be surprised. I know there are those who want you to hate him because he is different than you. Try to resist their spin and seek out facts. My take on Rob is he is trying to do what he feels is right for the city. Cutting him some slack to get going might seem the Torontonian thing to do! Again, just my thoughts.

Send him a note and ask your question and get an answer. It is one thing not to like some person or like their issues or be concerned about an issue but ranting in the dark without asking your question first is just silly.

I sent him a short, respectful, three paragraph email Tuesday morning (Jan. 4th), heard nothing. It's only been two days so I still hold out hope that I will, all I expect is an acknowledgment of my letter from one of his assistants.
I wrote Miller twice and had a response from him the same day each time, my last correspondence was near the end of the garbage strike.

If Rob Ford would like to get into the good books of everyone, he should lower property taxes along streets that are undergoing any kind of long-term construction including Transit City, heavy rail, or a 6-alarm fire at a building causing the street to be closed off during the demolition.

What's this about cancelling the 5cent bag 'tax'? What remotely positive will be accomplished by this, it has been very successful in curbing wasteful behaviour and frankly the money doesn't go to governemnt but to worthwhile charities and green initiatives. I don't understand his thinking on this at all.

I thinkit's a ridiculous tax and a cash grab. I'd rather give the $100s of dollars /year that I contribute towards it to my own charities. Or keep it. Either way it's my choice not the governments.

I think it's people who aren't environmentally conscious but will become so once there is a cost attached to an action that's the issue. Since we are talking about effectiveness, perhaps you should enlighten me as to rate of use of plastic bags before and after policy implementation.

AoD

I'm very enviro conscious but I need bags!

I thinkit's a ridiculous tax and a cash grab. I'd rather give the $100s of dollars /year that I contribute towards it to my own charities. Or keep it. Either way it's my choice not the governments.

Hundreds (plural) of dollars at 5 cents each? You go through at least 4000 bags a year? At least 11 a day, every day?

Clearly 5 cents a bag is not charging enough!

Buy fabric grocery bags at your local grocer. I've had three of them from Rabba for about two years now, and I use one or two of them every single day to pick up groceries on my way home. They fold up nicely and fit into a knapsack with plenty of room to spare. Easy.

Hundreds (plural) of dollars at 5 cents each? You go through at least 4000 bags a year? At least 11 a day, every day?

Clearly 5 cents a bag is not charging enough!

Maybe he should consider bulk purchasing from a bag manufacturer. Could even get his own custom logo on side...maybe a pic of him giving the finger to the planet, or punching a seagull or something.

Buy fabric grocery bags at your local grocer.
I don't find putting fabric grocery bags in the garbage cans or using them for kitty litter or dirty diapers works very well.

I've had three of them from Rabba for about two years now, and I use one or two of them every single day to pick up groceries on my way home.
Yikes, I hope you wash them first! :)

Seriously though - I've resorted to buying a half-dozen grocery bags at a time when I've only needed one, because I'm constantly running out of them at home. Though I think getting away from the diapers seems to have put helped with the bag deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back