News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you put diapers in the green bin? I must say that since they brought the green bin to our building, I only use about one bag/week for actual garbage. The rest is recycled or green bin. So I seldom have to buy bags, if ever, since somehow I still seem to end up with a bunch of them hanging around despite using my own cloth bags (which yes, I wash regularly).

Absolutely. While he can help a constituent deal with a garbage can problem, bigger issues are not his strength methinks. His silence on the fire at Yonge and Gould is indicative of this (I suspect no one has told him what he's supposed to say yet).

Then again, they *could* try to rationalize it in terms of "offloading" any response et al to the local councillor (K. Wong-Tam). Almost like a roundabout arrival at a Jane Jacobite localized-government ideal.

But in that case, why even have an elected megamayor at all? Might as well just have a chair-elected-by-council system, as w/the existing community councils (or as w/the former Metro Council). Which would also likely have factored out the voting-mass dunderheadedness that led to Mayor Ford.

Heck, if enough of these urban "incidents" pile onto Ford, I can practically picture him cowered into a corner, shivering, sucking his thumb, etc--for that matter, given how he handled that Florida drug arrest all that time ago, don't be surprised if he undergoes a breakdown in office...

I thinkit's a ridiculous tax and a cash grab. I'd rather give the $100s of dollars /year that I contribute towards it to my own charities. Or keep it. Either way it's my choice not the governments.

"100's of dollars"? Really? On 5 cent bags? How many of these bags do you use in a day? Wow, you must do a whole lot of shopping. How petty do you have to be, to worry about spending 5 cents on a bag. Bring your own bag and save yourself 5 whole cents. I guess some people really are going through hard times.

The ridiculous thing is that most people could continue to use the exact same amount of bags as they did before and the cost to them would be incredibly negligible.

I often forget to bring reusable bags because I'm a Stupid Dumb Male Stereotype and it really isn't a big deal. I pay 20 cents or whatever and I'm out the door.

I like it because it a) makes me think about how many bags I'm using and b) prevents the cashier from arbitrarily deciding to give me six bags for my groceries when I only need two.

Oh boy...

Library board defies Ford to seek increase
January 06, 2011
Daniel Dale

Toronto’s public library board has set up a confrontation with Mayor Rob Ford by voting to seek a 2.6 per cent budget increase rather than the 2 per cent it had recently been asked for and the 5 per cent cut the city had originally wanted.

At a rare standing-room-only meeting Thursday night, the board voted 8-2 to approve a plan submitted by Councillor Janet Davis that would avoid the closing of the library’s Urban Affairs branch and another cut that would force the system to purchase 18,400 fewer books and other items.

Davis said she was not willing to recommend cuts to library service to help the city deal with its fiscal problems. She called her proposal a “reasonable compromise”; the board had originally defied Ford by approving a request for a 3.3 per cent budget increase.

“I believe this is a significant service loss for this community,” Davis said, referring to the potential for closure of the Urban Affairs branch, “and I believe that eliminating 18,400 items from our collection is a loss of service. And I will not support that.”

The library board is composed of eight members of the public appointed under former mayor David Miller — Ford has not yet exercised his power to replace them — and five city councillors.

The five civilian members present voted unanimously in favour of Davis’s plan. Of the five councillors, two members of Ford’s executive committee — Paul Ainslie and Cesar Palacio — voted against the plan, while executive committee member Jaye Robinson joined left-leaning Davis and Sarah Doucette in voting in favour.

Ainslie did not speak at the meeting. Afterward, he warned that city council may now simply make its own cuts to the library system to reduce its budget to the level requested by city staff.

“By basically defying what the budget committee has asked it to do, you’re deciding to send it back to City Hall, where our budget can be reviewed by people who aren’t familiar with the library system, and who can make cuts to it that may actually be more detrimental than something the board would,” he said.

After Davis spoke, civilian board member Kathy Gallagher Ross warned the board against turning the library into a “hot spot in the minds of the mayor and the new government.

“I think we are forced with having to show that we are taking what’s going on in the city seriously” in order to avoid a “real confrontation with the mayor.”

Moments later, however, she voted in favour of Davis’ plan.

One of Ford’s assistants was present in the packed public gallery. Many applauded after the plan was approved.

The Urban Affairs branch, located at Metro Hall, primarily serves as a research resource for city staff and for researchers of municipal affairs. Its collection is not available for borrowing. But the city allows the public to pick up holds there, and it also provides computer terminals frequently used by job-seekers and others in need of assistance, said Councillor Adam Vaughan.

Another library branch is scheduled to open in the vicinity of the Urban Affairs branch in 2014. Until then, the nearest branch is at City Hall, more than a kilometre away. Closing the branch would save more than $700,000 in total, according to city estimates, but only $100,000 of that in 2011.

The board’s total budget request is $171 million.

Under the plan that was rejected by the board in favour of Davis’s alternative, the collection housed by Urban Affairs would be transferred to the Toronto Reference Library.

City librarian Jane Pyper said the collection would be available for 60 hours per week, rather than 48, if the transfer occurred. She acknowledged, though, that the closure was proposed because of the city’s request for cost-cutting, not in an attempt to improve service.

Board chair Matthew Church said the board should not allow the library to become the city’s budgetary “whipping boy.” He said the Davis proposal was a “pretty responsible response” to the city’s “draconian” request for cuts.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/917751--library-board-defies-ford-to-seek-increase

TTC, Police Resist Rob Ford’s Request For Budget Cuts
2011/01/06 | CityNews.ca Staff

With the TTC already struggling to keep up with demand, the chair hinted on Thursday that just leaving the budget as it is will mean cutting back on operations.

“Oh, it’s likely there will be service adjustments, but again the commission has to review those and make the final decision,” chair and councillor Karen Stintz said.

“We are struggling to figure out how we’re going to make it all work. The mayor has been on the record saying he doesn’t want a fare increase and we take that under advisement.”

The changes might not be too severe due to last year’s budget surplus, but there are rumours late-night bus service would be a likely target.

And rather than finding ways to trim money, the heads of police and Toronto Public Health are asking for budget increases.

Chief Bill Blair presented his request to the Police Services Board on Wednesday night and asked for a three per cent increase, bringing the total to $915 million.

Cutting the budget as requested, he said, would result in 1,200 jobs lost.

And the city’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David McKeown, asked for an increase of 1.5 per cent or $500,000 to fight bed bugs. The province has promised to contribute three dollars for every one the city spends.

“I was directed by the Board of Health to try and maintain service levels which could not be done if we were to cut five per cent,” McKeown said.

Councillor Gord Perks said the latest figures suggest the current level of service would not work with the mayor’s belt-tightening.

"I think today is one of the first pieces of evidence that it is impossible to freeze and cut taxes without having an impact on the quality of services that Torontonians rely on.”

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...t-rob-ford-s-request-for-budget-cuts#Comments

I personally can't wait to see the fireworks (especially if a few other departments also resist budget cuts), but I do wonder that, as part of a compromise, services such as the TTC or the Library will have their budgets cut to preserve other 'more important' departments.

Edit: The Health Department is also asking for a 1.49-per-cent net budget increase, along with a last-minute request for $500,000 in city cash to tackle bedbugs.

Last edited:
Now there's blood in the water. I can't wait for the protesting to commmence in NPS.; cops and librarians arm in arm against the new regime.

I have been getting free fabric or reusable shopping bags at trade shows that I attend. Also, I have a horde of plastic bags from before the 5¢ fee came into practice.

At what point does it become insubordination? Why do we even bother electing a mayor? How do 5 appointed civilians get to decide a multi-million budget for everyone else.

(For the record, I'm not in favour of cutting library budgets)

Last edited:
It's not insubordination. The boards of the various departments request what they feel they need to continue offering services. Council can reject those requests and order cuts.

The mayor tells the road department to cut 5% from their budget. So they do cut by 5%, but during the year the price of asphalt goes up by 10%, what happens then? Leave 10% of the potholes unfilled, but risk insurance claims?

The price of electricity is to go up 25% over the next few years, the price of oil is to go up 500% over the next decade, etc.. So what about the outside economic forces? Can Rob Ford dictate to OPEC for example that we can only pay what he wants and forget about what happens from the outside economic forces?

We are told to set the thermostat at 18°, but the city dictates landlords that they must set the thermostat at 21°. Will Rob Ford set the city owned properties at 18° or 21° to save money on their budgets?

The weird thing is that his populism only extends to some sort of arbitrary group of Toronto taxpayers. Very much like the "Real America" distinction made by Republicans, I think he has this idea of a "Real Toronto."

Ford is always going on about people tell me this, people want this first, people are fed up. Who are these people? How many "people" are there telling him these things? I know a lot of people, including people that voted for him and supported his campaign. None of them have ever called him. I'm thinking he is just making it up as he goes along.

That reminds me of the Family Guy episode with the FCC censors. "We received 2 calls about last night's show, claiming they were offended. Our research has shown that one call equals 10 million people. As a result, 20 million people were offended by this show. Something must be done."

The mayor tells the road department to cut 5% from their budget. So they do cut by 5%, but during the year the price of asphalt goes up by 10%, what happens then? Leave 10% of the potholes unfilled, but risk insurance claims?

The price of electricity is to go up 25% over the next few years, the price of oil is to go up 500% over the next decade, etc.. So what about the outside economic forces? Can Rob Ford dictate to OPEC for example that we can only pay what he wants and forget about what happens from the outside economic forces?

We are told to set the thermostat at 18°, but the city dictates landlords that they must set the thermostat at 21°. Will Rob Ford set the city owned properties at 18° or 21° to save money on their budgets?

The idea is to work within a budget, something those of us who runs private sector businesses must do daily or we don't eat. Ford himself ran a business so understands this. The amount of waste in City govt is epic, particularly service like waste removal. Private waste removal is fractional to the cost that the City charges.

Why does someone with an understanding of this reality fet vilified here? Check your judgments at the door friends. This is business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back