News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to think it's also part of the pains of getting sucked into the American culture war.
Yep, Ford Nation is just the northern infection of the fundamentalist political tribalism so currently endemic in our southern neighbours.

The crackstarter has picked up in the last couple of hours, it looks like it will fairly easily achieve its needed $10,000 for today. (already 6k in)

As time passes from Cooke's update urging the seller to reassure them, my confidence that the video will be acquired diminishes rapidly. The seller is surely monitoring all of this and knows if people don't think the video is around to be sold anymore the campaign won't reach 200k and he'll get nothing.

The crackstarter has picked up in the last couple of hours, it looks like it will fairly easily achieve its needed $10,000 for today. (already 6k in)

If they don't hear from the seller before the end of it, I don't see it going over the edge. If they do hear from the seller, and the video is still up for grabs, then it's going to happen.

Actually, it's well over its quota. Yesterday had to end at $144K and today would be $158K but that $10,000 contribution and the huge pace of contributions put it 2 days ahead. That gives us a 2 day break for the seller to re-emerge.

There's such a singular focus on the smoking and the crack itself. Isn't the alleged association with drug dealers -- aka organized crime -- the real issue? That wasn't addressed at all.

It'll be interesting to see if John Cook updates the campaign with any new information on the weekend.

I can't help but think that crap-eating grin on Ford's face means he's made the video go away... the same way his campaign team got ahold of the tape where he offered to buy a guy OxyContin.

Let me start by saying I'm no fan of Ford.

If he bought the video or the Star accidentally dropped the cellphone in a cup of coffee, it doesn't matter. It hasn't surfaced or come up out of the coffee (I'm having some fun here, with the coffee bit). The left absolutely detests ford and would love to see him get it. that's why they're burning up inside by this.

If the video doesn't show up then ford wins but he also looses because the public thinks he did it, most likely.

I think about reporters saying how terrible this situation is for Toronto. (internationally speaking).
Firstly, it's Rob Ford and not the city. secondly, it's good for the city. Good or bad news, it's still news. All major cities have scandals. If this was Edmonton no one would care.
members on this site want toronto to be considered world class, well now you have it. Personally, I think NY doesn't care what others think about their scandals because NY is NY. Toronto doesn't need approval from anyone around the world. the world just said we're significant enough to talk about.

Toronto should be Toronto and not try to be NY.

Let me start by saying I'm no fan of Ford.

If he bought the video or the Star accidentally dropped the cellphone in a cup of coffee, it doesn't matter. It hasn't surfaced or come up out of the coffee (I'm having some fun here, with the coffee bit). The left absolutely detests ford and would love to see him get it. that's why they're burning up inside by this.

If the video doesn't show up then ford wins but he also looses because the public thinks he did it, most likely.

I think about reporters saying how terrible this situation is for Toronto. (internationally speaking).
Firstly, it's Rob Ford and not the city. secondly, it's good for the city. Good or bad news, it's still news. All major cities have scandals. If this was Edmonton no one would care.
members on this site want toronto to be considered world class, well now you have it. Personally, I think NY doesn't care what others think about their scandals because NY is NY. Toronto doesn't need approval from anyone around the world. the world just said we're significant enough to talk about.

Toronto should be Toronto and not try to be NY.

I think that's true about bad news being good news and the city being acknowledged as important enough to talk about. I've been saying that to friends. This will raise Toronto's profile more positively than negatively. Cynical but I think it's true.

And if we had a strong mayor system, imagine what the last 2 and half years of Ford would have wrought........let's keep it the way it is thanks. This is all part of the growing pains of being amalgamated (and our massive growth in general, as you mentioned) and should eventually work itself out......

As for a mechanism for the removal of a sitting mayor, that needs to be addressed.

Yes, right now there appears to be no way to remove a sitting mayor, even if he commits a serious crime. We still haven't worked the bugs out of the system after all this time? I cannot believe how little accountability there is at all levels of government. Christ, look what's happening in the Senate right now. It's just insane what politicians can get away with. It's not that Ford's "the teflon man", it's just that he has no decency and refuses to resign. Any mayor can commit a crime and if they refuse to resign, we can't do a thing about it. That's a very flawed system.

Even if Ford committed a serious crime, it takes years to get through our courts. He'd be finished his term before the case was finish and he was convicted. (especially the way lawyers stall, stall, stall)

Last edited:
The things is that, even without the video, the mayor will never be able to hold another press conference without being bombarded with questions about these allegations. Until he addresses questions from the media, it will not be "business as usual" at city hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back