News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the video surfaces, this will die down in about a week.
At that point Ford might not be in imminent threat of loss of his office, or even criminal charges, but I think this incident has seriously and permanently damaged him politically. Many of his supposed allies have openly questioned his judgement and transparency, and I don't see anyone who has a reasonable thought for their own career wanting to be too closely associated with him in future. This kerfluffle is just the latest and most serious in a string of incidents and alleged incidents of substance misuse by Ford, and any potential ally has to weigh the possibility that it won't be the last of his tenure.

I think that Ford as a political force is spent. He may run out the string on his term, but no one at City Hall is going to see him as a leader.

Someone may have touched on this but what if the Fords created this "event" to garner sympathy, and furthur defame the media.

Unless the video surfaces, this will die down in about a week.

I agree with others, Ford has defined his mayoralty with his actions, the events of the last week are just a couple more shovels of shit on the pile.

Last edited:
We are becoming the laughingstock of the entire world. Rob Ford has done enough damage to our reputation and needs to go.
To be fair, we did the damage when we elected him. It's not like Rob Ford wasn't already identified as an alcoholic, drug user, liar, and homophobe before the election.

It'll be interesting to see if John Cook updates the campaign with any new information on the weekend.

I can't help but think that crap-eating grin on Ford's face means he's made the video go away... the same way his campaign team got ahold of the tape where he offered to buy a guy OxyContin.

Could be, anyhow, I would imagine that Ford is somewhat relieved that he now has a way to wriggle out this.

I think what he's said indicates the presence of a video, and that his team has acquired the video, though they are unsure if they've acquired the only copy. Hence the careful wording of his sentences. Outmaneuvered by the Fords!

Last edited:
Obviously the story will be that there was a video, which was either altered or used an imposter, looked good enough on a small screen. They are afraid to release it since it will become apparant with proper scrutiny that the video is a hoax.

I don't think you understand what the word 'obviously' means...

It's hilariously tragic how betrayed Ford Nation feels by the mayor's actions. They are in complete and total denial. Their little hearts will be totally shattered if it turns out Rob was indeed doing crack.

Reminds me of Harper Nation, i.e. honourable fiscal Conservatives.

John Cook really nailed it with his comments. Too bad we have to rely on a New York journalist to tell it like it is. I watched the CityTV reporting and without exception their reporting was pathetic. Their on-air dummies like Roger Peterson were using phrases like "flat-out denial" to describe Ford's comments and saying that "Ford finally breaks his silence" when he did nothing of the sort.

I have to say that I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that Rob Ford's strong statement would put an end to this as I was listening to it and that he would get away with yet another one. He sounded confident and in charge and his speech was peppered with hooks for sympathy. But looking at the press, the councillor reactions, pundit analysis and the street interviews, it's been entirely the opposite. This seems to have had no resolution. People are not convinced. He's been found guilty by the court of public opinion and it looks like that's going to be permanent. If this were the statement made 1 week ago, it would have probably fizzled out but by now there's been so much involvement by worldwide media attention that people want a definitive resolution.

Now from within his circle and his staff, I can say that because of Towhey's firing, some members of the Mayor's staff are not happy at work and my source says he won't be surprised if people think it over the weekend and submit resignations on Monday. His new chief of staff is very literally "interim" chief of staff. He won't be around for longer than necessary to find a permanent... uh a next chief of staff.

If this tape doesn't come out, if the Police investigations that are taking place don't yield anything and if The Star isn't able to put together a solid report on the leads they were following from the original tape, then I think Ford will be able to return to work. Will it be business as usual? The answer is an emphatic no. You have councillors calling for his resignation in direct words and his own executive committee being cautious but basically saying they don't believe him and that this statement wasn't enough. His political allies in upper levels of government don't want to be caught anywhere near him, he's lost the smartest person in his office and nobody who cares for their career will want to join his new team. It's going to be a long and frustrating year and a half but Toronto is fed up with him and he'll be booted from office the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
To be fair, we did the damage when we elected him. It's not like Rob Ford wasn't already identified as an alcoholic, drug user, liar, and homophobe before the election.

So very, very true and very, very sad.

And how in the hell do you show up 1 week late to your "absolute denial of crack use" press conference having completely shaved your head?1?!? I bet Towhey took one look at Ford's freshly shaven head and asked him who Ford thought he was fooling, and now how was Towhey supposed to deal with this additional level of shame and denial? The shaved head says EVERYTHING about Rob Ford. The man continues to find new ways to be a caricature of himself.

Last edited:
With Rob's very recent haircut, he seems to me that he's making sure his current hair growth is clean, should someone "ask" him for a drug test. Any leftovers in his hair would have been unavailable by now. Hair grows at 1/2" a month. But he forgets that fingernails grows at 1/10" a month and any drug leftovers would also collect there. Anybody want to give Rob a free manicure? Unless he can stall for a year and do his own nails.

Well, he can definitely pursue defamation claims against Gawker - can't he? From the first sentence: "Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who has smoked crack cocaine..." But guess what - he won't!

Here's an interesting interview with a former crack addict, who underestimates the ability of highly-functioning people to engage in drug use. The symptoms he is describing are what happens, presumably, to skittish drug addicts... not businessmen. The go around stealing shit and acting paranoid because (a) they have no money and (b) they have plenty reason to be paranoid - they are drug users who steal shit and are hiding from the cops! But regardless, no one has said he has a history of crack use or an addiction - he is merely on tape allegedly smoking it one time. But who knows what he's really doing/smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back