News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe how prevalent this story is getting. Tonight's episode of All In with Chris Hayes on MSNBC features a segment on it, featuring Robyn Doolittle.

“Here's the thing that I think is the hardest thing for folks who are not familiar with Toronto politics to understand: How is this guy the mayor? Like, what is his political base? Is there anyone in the entire country of Canada or the city of Toronto who believes him right now? Who are the people that voted this guy into office?”
-Hayes

Scarborough analagous to the Bronx? Has this person ever been to Toronto?

The analogy was for the purpose of pointing out that Scarborough was already part of Toronto, the way the Bronx and the other NYC Boroughs are already part of NYC. People tend to think Toronto annexed a bunch of separate, independent entities when they speak about amalgamation (even plenty of Torontonians think this).

It's tough to directly compare NYC to Toronto especially built form. But Staten Island and Etobicoke are both rightly known as the most conservative parts of each city.

Well...not quite in the same way. In fact, Staten Island is unique for its (literal) insularity and isolation from the rest of NYC (and more tied in with Sopranos-Joisey in many ways)--and likewise, Etobicoke in the end isn't *that* unlike the rest of Toronto, despite the Ford/Holyday smokescreen (and the proof is in the mostly Liberal-favouring provincial and federal record in recent times.

I'd probably rather see it this way--perhaps Scarborough as the Bronx, "the Yorks" in toto as Brooklyn, and some kind of Etobicoke-Mississauga combo as Queens (complete with the "airport factor"). As for Staten Island--maybe if Toronto sprung off some tentacle into Vaughan or something...

Incidentally, re the "revenge argument" re the Fords' behaviour: I had this rather grisly thought--would the Fords be the sort who, knowing the jig is up, would barricade themselves into the Mayor's Office with explosive devices...yeah, I know: implausible (I suppose); but at this point, now implausible is implausible...

Incidentally, re the "revenge argument" re the Fords' behaviour: I had this rather grisly thought--would the Fords be the sort who, knowing the jig is up, would barricade themselves into the Mayor's Office with explosive devices...yeah, I know: implausible (I suppose); but at this point, now implausible is implausible...

I figured it's more likely to end with Ford going up to the roof when he gets word that the cops are on their way to his office. But, like your scenario, not too likely.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... I almost want to go to bed early so it gets here faster! :D

You're not the first to suggest it actually.

I'd say the part of downtown following the yellow subway loop—bounded by University, Front, Yonge, Bloor—would be the closest thing to Manhattan, while the lower-rise-while-old parts of downtown, like the Annex, Kensington, Cabbagetown, Leslieville, West Queen West, etc., would be more like Brooklyn. I'm not familiar with NYC's other boroughs.

I think it might be best to compare the boroughs of New York to the neighbourhoods in Toronto, as the boroughs are mostly pre-WWII development to my understanding.

For example, Staten Island would be Swansea, Queens would be North Toronto, Bronx would be West Toronto, Brooklyn would be Parkdale (both very industrial and gentrifying), and downtown would be Manhattan.

That makes more sense...but Queens would be more east end/East York than anything else. Brooklyn would be more akin to the whole west end (a lot of gritty-yet-gentfrifying, mixed income) not just Parkdale. Decisively white collar North Toronto just doesn't fit....except maybe in Westchester County! York would be North Bronx.

Last edited:
I think the best way to describe Toronto's amalgamation to non-Torontonians is to simply say that most of Old Toronto was built prior to WWII, and in 1998 it merged with all of its immediate post-war suburbs. That's why it feels like worlds collided.

Most of Manhattan's "suburbs" are actually as old or older than downtown Toronto.

I figured it's more likely to end with Ford going up to the roof when he gets word that the cops are on their way to his office. But, like your scenario, not too likely.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... I almost want to go to bed early so it gets here faster! :D

That or a high speed chase through the city.

I can't wait til tomorrow. If what we're hearing is right, that Toronto Police press conference will have severe ramifications.

That or a high speed chase through the city.

I can't wait til tomorrow. If what we're hearing is right, that Toronto Police press conference will have severe ramifications.

What are you hearing? What will the Police presser be about?

On a related note I read in the SUN that Toronto Police will be interviewing all current and former Ford staffers. Apparently this came as news to Doug and the new Press Secretary.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/30/rob-ford-staffer-denies-mayor-gave-them-video-location

Meanwhile, a source close to Mayor Ford said Toronto Police have, or plan to, interview each member or former member of the mayor’s staff.

“It’s serious,†said the person who is close to the mayor. “This is not going away.â€

Police have already interviewed staff member David Price who told the Toronto Sun it was not related to a shooting, homicide or the video but based on a tip that drug dealers had taken over an apartment on Dixon Rd.

Doug Ford said police interviews were news to him but that he, the mayor and other staff members would contact the police if there was ever a concern that would require that.

Police talking to staff was also not known to Petrujkic, who said he had not heard of any police requests for interviews beyond the one Price offered.

I had this rather grisly thought--would the Fords be the sort who, knowing the jig is up, would barricade themselves into the Mayor's Office with explosive devices.

A total narcissist like Ford is more likely to just never believe the "jig is up"....even when the cuffs are being put on, than to resort to any kind of violence (especially self harm).

Humiliation is unbearable for the narc, which is why they stay in denial even to the point of fantasy. But even fantasy has its limits and Ford has been bombarded with humiliation day in and day out for two weeks now. The devastating blow would have been being fired from coaching....much worse than the crack scandal.

Interesting story at the Toronto Sun as I searched 320 Dixon Road. The headline itself makes it sounds the Sun believes that the video exists, and that it is tied to 320 Dixon Road.

Rexdale neighbours of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford video holder nervous

Excerpt:

CHRIS DOUCETTE | TORONTO SUN

TORONTO - Residents of a Rexdale condo complex are on edge as they wait for the pieces of the mayor's crack-cocaine puzzle to slowly fall into place - and learn how the scandal is linked to their community.

That anxiety at Kingsview Village, near Dixon Rd. and Kipling Ave., was palpable Tuesday when someone set off fireworks in the parking lot and the loud bangs left some thinking bullets were flying - again.

"We always worry here," one concerned man, who didn't give his name, said after hearing the noise wasn't gunfire.

Residents in the complex are not strangers to gunplay. The most recent incident occurred on May 21.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/05/20130529-113134.html

What are you hearing? What will the Police presser be about?

On a related note I read in the SUN that Toronto Police will be interviewing all current and former Ford staffers. Apparently this came as news to Doug and the new Press Secretary.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/30/rob-ford-staffer-denies-mayor-gave-them-video-location

A thread contributor posted that one of his friends who are part of the TPS alluded to the presser having something to do with Rob Ford, the crack video and an attempted murder in Etobicoke.

A Star article today also said that the mayor was aware of the video location before the murder attempt. Whether or not he did anything with that information is unknown. But it is rumoured that the three ex-Ford staffers who quit their jobs today did so because of potential connections to the murder investigation.

The TPS presser tomorrow could very well have nothing to implicate our mayor, but it's certainly not shaping up that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back