News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The devastating blow would have been being fired from coaching....much worse than the crack scandal.

And I'm wondering whether a comparable "devastating blow" for Doug Ford would be his being blocked from seeking the PC nomination in Etobicoke North...

Meanwhile, a source close to Mayor Ford said Toronto Police have, or plan to, interview each member or former member of the mayor’s staff.

I think this may be it. My TPS source didn't say it was a press conference, only that I should read the news tomorrow. We'll see tomorrow.

I just came home from a large charity fundraiser at Corus tonight. A lot of rich (I believe Conservative) guests. Ford was on everybody's mouth. Every circle of conversation I passed by, I heard it. People can't believe how delusional he is. He may still have his core blue collar naïve vote but he's lost the Conservatives who put him over the top. He'll get a marginal percentage next election if he's even allowed to run.

Last edited:
There's definitely going to be a more palatable conservative candidate - like John Tory or Karen Stintz - running. Otherwise who are the blue bloods going to vote for?

There's definitely going to be a more palatable conservative candidate - like John Tory or Karen Stintz - running. Otherwise who are the blue bloods going to vote for?

I agree. Ford will not be endorsed by the usual Conservatives. He'll be a lone wolf candidate and will get 20% at best. A Stintz or a Tory candidate will take the rest of the right wing vote and Olivia Chow -- if she runs alone -- will win in a landslide. Then of course, Rob Ford could be sitting in a cell when we next head to the polls.

There's definitely going to be a more palatable conservative candidate - like John Tory or Karen Stintz
Tory's electoral record is terrible (including a prior run for mayor). I'd be curious to know what the party bigwigs think of Stintz, especially whether she's conservative enough.

From what I've been told, Tory is still very much undecided. He sees the potential in being the city's "white knight" (my words), but the prospect of him pushing 60 and losing another hard-fought election would be devastating and overshadow all he's (very happily) accomplished in the private sector these last few years.

Last edited:
And I'm wondering whether a comparable "devastating blow" for Doug Ford would be his being blocked from seeking the PC nomination in Etobicoke North...

Drug Ford is definitely finished politically. the Globe is sitting on a whole whack of info about the size and scope of his hashish operation, which extends far beyond anything resembling "a youthful indiscretion", and far beyond that which is described in the initial article.

and while it might seem to some to be "ancient history", it is in fact more than enough to completely and permanently destroy his political ambitions.

it is also only a matter of time before a few people are willing to go on the record about what they know. the PCs will never in a million years go anywhere near a man tainted by a scandal of this nature.

From what I've been told, John Tory is still very much undecided. He sees the great potential in being the city's "white knight" (my words), but the prospect of him pushing 60 and losing another hard-fought election would be devastating and overshadow all he's (very happily) accomplished in the private sector these last few years.

Let's put it this way: I lean left politically but I would vote for John Tory in a heart beat. This is his if he wants it.

Let's put it this way: I lean left politically but I would vote for John Tory in a heart beat. This is his if he wants it.

Same.

I adore Olivia Chow and would likely vote for her if/when she runs...but the stupid pragmatist in me knows that the pendulum swinging that far the other way wouldn't do anything to help how divided the city is right now...and that the Sun and its frothing at the mouth readers would double-down on tearing her down.

...and that maybe a rational/sensible/ethical/reasonable/fucking human small-c conservative is what we need most right now...someone to bring the rational/sensible/ethical/reasonable populations on the left and right somewhere into the centre. And I don't think there's anyone better for that than him. I might not agree with him on everything, but at least I'd be confident that what I disagreed with was at least coming from a reasoned and informed place...and that the city's best interests were at heart, even if I disagreed with how to get there.

Tory's electoral record is terrible (including a prior run for mayor). I'd be curious to know what the party bigwigs think of Stintz, especially whether she's conservative enough.

Ford is a populist. A more orthodox small-"c" conservative is going to have to be able to appeal to "blue Liberals" and Red Tories. I think Stintz fits the bill.

John Tory is a great listener and I've yet to find any Conservative as fair and balanced as he is. I can't bear to listen to anybody else on Newstalk1010 but I put my alarm on to tune in for John Tory. Totally agree on us needing a small c conservative. John Tory would make a great Mayor, one I'd be happy to have for 3 terms.

EDIT: Forgot about my point about him being a great listener. I trust that he would find compromises and work with ideas from the left. I don't have to make any effort imagining him working with Adam Vaughan or Mike Layton.

Last edited:
I lean left as well and would have taken Tory over Smitherman for example - any day. Smitherman is an abrasive partisan hack and a very right-wing Liberal (yet we're supposed to think that because he's gay and from downtown he is ipso facto progressive). Tory is a rare Red Tory, doesn't want to build a Conservative machine in Toronto and would certainly be willing to work with progressives.

I sometimes wonder if Tory had beat Miller back in 2003 if he might have turned out to be a mayor in the mold of Michael Bloomberg: A business-friendly conservative on paper who nonetheless pursues a progressive, urban agenda. Although maybe I'm letting time and Rob Ford's mayoralty skew my memory of how right-wing Tory came across back then.

It's hard to say....he lives so much in Rob's shadow that I have no idea how he perceives something that doesn't involve him. Although, Doug's perception of things is likely to be very different from reality, and doesn't see himself in the shadow of Rob at all. This is why he comes out acting as the mayor, when everyone else sees what he really is....just a inexperienced rookie councillor that belongs to the Ford circus act.

For them, there will always be a "Ford nation", even if it's only members reside in their imaginations. Rob is probably destined to go out spectacularly (or found dead on the crapper like Elvis or something). Doug will just fade a way or just muddle on.

But I wonder if they will notice the guests at their next BBQ are less likely to be the who's who of the conservative world?

John Tory is a great listener and I've yet to find any Conservative as fair and balanced as he is. I can't bear to listen to anybody else on Newstalk1010 but I put my alarm on to tune in for John Tory. Totally agree on us needing a small c conservative. John Tory would make a great Mayor, one I'd be happy to have for 3 terms.

EDIT: Forgot about my point about him being a great listener. I trust that he would find compromises and work with ideas from the left. I don't have to make any effort imagining him working with Adam Vaughan or Mike Layton.

Absolutely.

Tory is a man who believes in low taxes but is willing to raise them when needed.

He's a conservative spender, but wont rip the heart of the city with poorly thought out spending cuts.

And he's level headed. Makes decisions based on fact and logic and not baseless rhetoric.

Too bad he won't ever get elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back