News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the other Sun papers as bad? At least they don't drool over the Ford family...
A local publication is always going to be more "rabid", or at least it should, about local stuff but don't forget that the FF Nation goes beyond the GTA so the other Suns copy most if not all of the articles. The Ford family is just a symptom of the political disillusionment of those who are "disenfranchised".

Are the other Sun papers as bad? At least they don't drool over the Ford family...

The Sun chain started from the ashes of the old Toronto Telegram. Peter Worthington and the others who resurrected the old Telly basically saw an opportunity in bringing the U.K. tabloid format to Toronto. The formula was simple: Sensationalize scandal with an emphasis on local stories, be strong on sports and sprinkle a little T&A here and there, all while maintaining a pretty strong Conservative outrage quotient. Easy to read on public transit.

It was wildly successful for a while. And they franchised out to other markets, major and minor throughout Canada (Most were generally supportive of Ford through the Circus). Without the current PostMedia pressures they'd probably still have the ability to make a reasonable go of it in most regional markets. However, the impending and epic collapse of 'the house that Godfrey built' will crush them all.

Speaking of Godfrey, there's a lot to look at therein. Considering the 'Whats', 'Wheres' and 'Whens' are well known, I'd start with "How?" and then let that guide an inquiry into 'Why?'. What is up with that guy?

I only notice the Sun if I see it left behind in the subway or someone posts it here. But there are far too many people who rely on the Sun for their news.

Actually, at this point I'll betcha more (esp. on the subway) read the story in 24H (where it didn't beg attention nearly as much as it did in the Sun).

You got to wonder what's so big deal/special about getting a pet as a way of dealing with grief to warrant front page coverage.

AoD

Well, as I've previously stated, it's all about Renata in the end. The kids' grief is collateral. (Though in that front page photo, they look like they might as well be closer to 5 than 10--which is probably the way Renata would prefer it. Like they're human corollaries for said "puppy".)

Notice, too, that there's no indication of "maintenance". Essentially, the mutt's no more than a "therapeutic" cuddle toy to them--wonder how they deal with walking or training it et al. Wouldn't be surprised if the house winds up looking like the same old Towheyan hell hole but with added doggy-do because nobody'll pick it up because it's gross.

Just consider Dougie's ethically dubious front-yard "press interview", and how he basically said that RoFo was a great dad, he got the kids lots of toys, etc.
Yes, the likelihood of being spoilt is still there.

Well, as I've previously stated, it's all about Renata in the end.

I'm thinking it might have more to do with Warmington. He brands himself as the reporter who rubs shoulders with the movers and shakers and gets the inside story. (The man does love a cliche.) He needs the Ford family to maintain appearances, even if they are becoming yesterday's news. I'm sure he calls the Fords more than they call him.

I'm thinking it might have more to do with Warmington. He brands himself as the reporter who rubs shoulders with the movers and shakers and gets the inside story. (The man does love a cliche.) He needs the Ford family to maintain appearances, even if they are becoming yesterday's news. I'm sure he calls the Fords more than they call him.

Well, Rasputin got to hitch on something.

AoD

The Sun chain started from the ashes of the old Toronto Telegram. Peter Worthington and the others who resurrected the old Telly basically saw an opportunity in bringing the U.K. tabloid format to Toronto. The formula was simple: Sensationalize scandal with an emphasis on local stories, be strong on sports and sprinkle a little T&A here and there, all while maintaining a pretty strong Conservative outrage quotient. Easy to read on public transit.

I seem to recall them saying, however, that they were nothing like the UK Sun, no sirree, that's just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Just consider Dougie's ethically dubious front-yard "press interview", and how he basically said that RoFo was a great dad, he got the kids lots of toys, etc.
Didn't Stephanie also say "great dad" (=) "lots of toys" in her Mayor of Heaven eulogy? One has to wonder about all these toys. Do they just get bored/frustrated with them and move on or were the kiddies just spoiled silly regardless? Poor Brownie - he's not a toy you can just get bored of or frustrated with. He'll still need to be fed, walked, pooped, peed, trained. That's not fun. That's like...work!:eek:

He rubs something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back