News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like the pace of contributions has really slowed down dramatically. Unless the story picks back up on Tuesday or some wealthy donors come in, I don't think they're going to make it. Though if they get within $50,000 or so, I could see Gawker topping it up.

The story will be very active in the news tomorrow with Rob Ford forced to make a statement and City Council probably bringing up a motion to discuss this. Even his few remaining allies are calling for him to clear this up. Josh Matlow has mentioned moving the topic into official debate tomorrow and if he does, it will probably pass. With people coming home from the long weekend, with all this discussion about the video and with the campaign close to hitting a landmark $100K which will prompt the news to report on the campaign specifically, I imagine that the donations will pick up significantly.

Also, the perks have motivated larger contributions. We're seeing a lot of $200 and fewer random low numbers. It's very likely that we'll be way ahead of half the goal by the time half the deadline is passed. It's at nearly $80K right now.

Upcoming possible donations: Steven Debus $50K, Toronto left leaning organizations and/or media like NOW or others could put up $10K, I'm sure the Toronto Board of Trade would love to see Ford gone so any of their wealthy members can make the move. Then let's not forget TheStar or those with financial interest in the wellbeing of the paper who could post an annonymous donation and consider it a great investment. The Star would be vindicated and wash away a lot of the perception that its biased and making these things up. Some people would never be convinced, but TheStar would come out a hero out of all of this. They were right. Here's the evidence.

...then again, Ford might feel enough pressure to take his advisors' advice and admit to his problem and step away until the next election. There's a real possibility that we might get a Rob Ford resignation tomorrow or within a couple more days.

Last edited:
...then again, Ford might feel enough pressure to take his advisors' advice and admit to his problem and step away until the next election. There's a real possibility that we might get a Rob Ford resignation tomorrow or within a couple more days.

What problem would that be, exactly? Recreational drug use? If that was a problem half of Bay Street would be in rehab.

The tone in this thread straddle self righteous indignation & maniacal obsession.

/Fact- the mayor of Toronto is alleged to have been smoking crack cocaine with unsavory characters.\End Fact

CN Tower:

If only half of Bay Street has the attendance and job record of his worship along with his alleged "recreational drug use" (as if it was some harmless hobby like stamp collecting that you wouldn't know he is doing) and his personal response to said drug users. Just saying. I have a feeling the other half of Bay Street won't be nearly as tolerant or as accepting as you claimed it to be - I don't know, try showing up at work looking the way he did in that previous photo and tell me how far one'd get. Besides, are you suggesting that the chief magistrate of the city should be in said compromising position, unlike that half of Bay Street?

AoD

Last edited:
What problem would that be, exactly? Recreational drug use? If that was a problem half of Bay Street would be in rehab.

Are you insinuating that because some guys working for private companies do illegal drugs, it's ok for an elected public official to do so, to hang out with drug dealers, and/or lie about it as well? Please clarify.

Upcoming possible donations: Steven Debus $50K, Toronto left leaning organizations and/or media like NOW or others could put up $10K, I'm sure the Toronto Board of Trade would love to see Ford gone so any of their wealthy members can make the move. Then let's not forget TheStar or those with financial interest in the wellbeing of the paper who could post an annonymous donation and consider it a great investment. The Star would be vindicated and wash away a lot of the perception that its biased and making these things up. Some people would never be convinced, but TheStar would come out a hero out of all of this. They were right. Here's the evidence.

... There's a real possibility that we might get a Rob Ford resignation tomorrow or within a couple more days.

To your first point... no media organization aside from a tabloid would pay for this footage - it sets an awful precedent and it has the potential to create a "market" for evidence of officials doing shitty things, and it's mutually assured destruction for the proper news outlets if one of them does it. For proper journalism to maintain its integrity, it's important that information isn't paid for. Paid evidence/photos are the reason that the paparazzi exist and deal solely with tabloids, and I have yet to hear anyone happy that they exist. Gawker is basically a tabloid, which is why it's borderline acceptable/unsurprising for them to be doing it.

I'm so, so unconvinced that Ford will resign though - he's too much of a belligerent/pig-headed stubborn manbaby (seemingly) to listen to reasonable arguments and give up the most powerful position he has ever had and/or wanted.

Recreational drug use? If that was a problem half of Bay Street would be in rehab.

The ultimate red herring: Everybody else is doing it so what's the big deal? (Never mind that actually, comparatively few consume illicit drugs and of those that do, even fewer let it impair their work performance to the extent that Ford has).

CN Tower:

If only half of Bay Street has the attendance and job record of his worship along with his alleged "recreational drug use" (as if it was some harmless hobby like stamp collecting that you wouldn't know he is doing) and his personal response to said drug users. Just saying. I have a feeling the other half of Bay Street won't be nearly as tolerant or as accepting as you claimed it to be - I don't know, try showing up at work looking the way he did in that previous photo and tell me how far one'd get. Besides, are you suggesting that the chief magistrate of the city should be in said compromising position, unlike that half of Bay Street?

AoD

My point is simply this is a rush to judgment. Clearly mayor Ford is the author of his own fate in this regard but we've yet to establish anything remotely resembling the actual truth in this instance so it actually cheapens the lessons we hope to take from this situation by unilaterally (forum, media, public) convicting him of actions unproven.

For the sake of our city I would hope to see some contrition by mayor Ford over this issue in the same ultimate manner as President Clinton over his ethical breaches while in office. The worst part of the episode in my estimate is the lying, denial & deceit. I would like to hear the truth from mayor Ford himself, not a panel of iPhone videocam experts.

CN Tower:

My point is simply this is a rush to judgment. Clearly mayor Ford is the author of his own fate in this regard but we've yet to establish anything remotely resembling the actual truth in this instance so it actually cheapens the lessons we hope to take from this situation by unilaterally (forum, media, public) convicting him of actions unproven.

The court of public opinion does not require a level of vigour as the court of law, and are you saying that the public is so foolish as to be utterly unable to make the judgement of guilt, given the allegations, the fantastical alternate scenarios and the utter lack of denial from the person at the centre himself? I mean, really. And if you are going to talk about cheapening the lessons, one should have started off with the untruths spewed out during the election campaign and the smearing - I don't recall any of his supporters demanding said level of proof on his claims about others now you all of a sudden require on claims about him. If that level of belief is sufficient to get him elected, I certainly believe that the current slate of evidence is more than sufficient to allow one to pass judgement on him.

For the sake of our city I would hope to see some contrition by mayor Ford over this issue in the same ultimate manner as President Clinton over his ethical breaches while in office. The worst part of the episode in my estimate is the lying, denial & deceit. I would like to hear the truth from mayor Ford himself, not a panel of iPhone videocam experts.

Actually no, his substance use isn't a one off - it is tied to a pattern of his incompetence and indiligence at the job. You can't argue a blowjob works in the same way as cocaine on the brain (or that adultery a matter governed by Criminal Law) - much less comparing the competence of Clinton to the record of Ford. As to the truth from the mayor himself - good luck with that, you and I know full well his history with "the truth". If not for the press or affected parties exposing him, would his worship admitted to his episode at ACC? His DUI? His utter lack of understanding of CoI rules which he had actually sworn to uphold? Give me good reasons why slack should be cut for an individual with a demonstrable inability to offer the truth until confronted with undeniable evidence? For all the faults of iphone videocam (and said experts), their integrity is probably less in doubt than a mayor with precious little of it.

AoD

Last edited:
Actually no, his substance use isn't a one off - it is tied to a pattern of his incompetence and indiligence at the job. You can't argue a blowjob works in the same way as cocaine on the brain. As to the truth from the mayor himself - good luck with that, you and I know full well his history with "the truth".

AoD

Bill Clinton of whom I was a big admirer, actually did far more damage to the office of the POTUS and his party than mayor Ford will potentially do in this instance. As you're probably aware neither council nor the police have the power to remove the mayor from office over the alleged actions. That certainly says something about what the legislative minds think are vital characteristics of a civic leader.

I would love to hear the truth from the mayor on this one and genuinely expect to get it.

Everyone has their agenda- the mayor remaining in office and steadfastly delivering on his campaign promises, many of which he's actually accomplished. Sadly he would have been 1000x more effective and respected if he possessed even a mere modicum of polish or statesmanship but as discussed his core supporters were railing against the traditional cronyism found in his predecessors and the majority of politicians. Gawker seeks to milk as much attention and it can from this story and spin a Shakespearean tale out of it for their own gain and The Star clearly has its own agenda.

Last edited:
The court of public opinion does not require a level of vigour as the court of law
as in Lynch mob.

While I have your attention, Google "making latex mask". Fun for the whole family with the possibility of profit.

Bill Clinton of whom I was a big admirer, actually did far more damage to the office of the POTUS and his party than mayor Ford will potentially do in this instance. As you're probably aware neither council nor the police have the power to remove the mayor from office over the alleged actions. That certainly says something about what the legislative minds think are vital characteristics of a civic leader.

You are reaching - first of all POTUS is not Toronto Mayor, equating the two is pretty meaningless. Second, equating the lack of power to remove the mayor from office per Municipal Act almost certainly doesn't meant that legislation affirms his qualities a civic leader. Hell in fact just what did the Municipal Act said about the vitalness of his office *anyways*, vis-a-vis the limits on his powers - powers he claimed that he have?

I would love to hear the truth from the mayor on this one and genuinely expect to get it.

No offense, but your expectation is a pretty meaningless factor in his behaviour. He will behave however he chose to, as he always had. Don't forget, we're already served his (texturally meaningless) mea culpa once over the CoI case. What exactly has he learned and changed?

Everyone has their agenda- the mayor remaining in office and steadfastly delivering on his campaign promises, many of which he's actually accomplished. Gawker seeks to milk as much attention and it can from this story and spin a Shakespearean tale out of it for their own gain and The Star clearly has its own agenda.

Are those interpretation of agendas "facts" that you demand, are you are transposing your beliefs in shaping the conversation?

AoD

Last edited:
As gross/dumb/unsophisticated Rob Ford is, do you think people would hate him less if he looked like, say, George Clooney?

Notice I said "hate him less" rather than "like him" because we'd still hate him regardless of looks, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back