News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need is for rolling stops to be made legal. There is a huge difference between a rolling stop and someone flying through a stop sign. One should be ticketed, the other shouldn't.

Exactly. But I'm not convinced the courts and the cops are interested in defining the difference and applying the distinction.

If nothing else, Stintz' ticket will show that cyclists do get ticketed and the fine is the same as for drivers.

I'm always prepared to stop at a sign - I slow down for them as I would at any intersection and I anticipate yielding to pedestrians (they're often surprised by that). But I'm not going to come to a complete stop if there's no one else in any direction, and most drivers don't do that either.

Does this make it more or less likely police evidence related to Rob Ford will see the light of day?

The wiretaps won't be disclosed for this prosecution. I will simply note that the accused's lawyer managed, in record time for our justice system, to plea-bargain down from a first degree murder charge to manslaughter.

Last edited:
But now that potentially any evidence related to Rob Ford is not part of any ongoing investigation, isn't it more likely the press will be allowed to have access to it?

Last edited:
This stinks

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nked-to-rob-ford-controversy/article12856164/

The swiftness of the resolution of the case against Mr. Hashimi is unusual for a charge as serious as murder. The Crown agreed to the lesser charge of manslaughter without going through a preliminary hearing to test the strength of its case on the charge of first-degree murder.

From first degree murder to manslaughter? How often does that happen. Considering how swift the arrest was I suspect that there was solid evidence against Hashimi - most likely wiretaps in which he admits to the crime. It's unlikely that any of this evidence will see the light of day now that the judge has accepted this unusual plea agreement.

Stop signs, etc.

Selectively easy enforcement of traffic violations doesn't do much to actually make the streets safer. I really wish the police would crack down on more dangerous activity than this.

Also.... watch the way most bike cops cycle. You'll probably notice that they do rolling stops, ride on sidewalks / crosswalks, etc. "Do as we say, not as we do."

This stinks

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nked-to-rob-ford-controversy/article12856164/

From first degree murder to manslaughter? How often does that happen. Considering how swift the arrest was I suspect that there was solid evidence against Hashimi - most likely wiretaps in which he admits to the crime. It's unlikely that any of this evidence will see the light of day now that the judge has accepted this unusual plea agreement.

According to this article from The Star (article), the guy arrested in Alberta is still charged with first degree murder. I would assume that means that there's still hope the evidence will get out.

If the police have the video, it still might be held as potential evidence in not-as-yet-laid charges ... they could be using it to build a case for something else, with someone who has not yet even been arrested. One can hope.

According to this article from The Star (article), the guy arrested in Alberta is still charged with first degree murder. I would assume that means that there's still hope the evidence will get out.

Yes if the second guy proceeds to trial we would see what evidence they have but the fact that the crown allowed the killer to plead to manslaughter makes it difficult for the crown to get a first degree conviction against the second guy who seems to have been an accessory. I would be surprised if the second guy doesn't get off by pleading to a lesser offense (less than manslaughter).

What we need is for rolling stops to be made legal. There is a huge difference between a rolling stop and someone flying through a stop sign. One should be ticketed, the other shouldn't.

Yup. This whole come to a complete stop nonsense is a huge waste of gas. And absolutely nobody does it, unless their yielding to someone at an intersection.

I do it when I'm driving. Not so much when I'm riding, however -- then it tends to be rolling unless there is a need to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back