News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm sure everyone wants to see the video, for one reason or another. Mostly prurient curiosity, though I'm sure for many it's that primarily they want the straw-grasping, boneheaded apologists to see and acknowledge the video - which may prove disappointing since the goalpost will quickly shuffle further down the field to "how can we tell what's in the pipe." Hotmail Lawyer™ Has already primed that by suggesting that the mayor could be smoking tobacco in this video that doesn't exist.

Waiting until you can see the fine details in the video before judging the mayor on his credibility and fitness for office, after the shenanigans of the past three years, strikes me as willful denial more than anything else.

Back in May a columnist put it quite nicely in my opinion when he said that the presumption of innocence did not require us to believe in fairy tales in the face of massive and mounting circumstantial evidence
Dude, I totally hear you and mostly agree with you.

But I dunno if you've ever sat on a jury in a criminal trial??! There they always instruct the jury to remember 2 things:

1. Always wait till all the evidence is in before coming to a verdict.
2. Be absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt the person is guilty.

Right now I'm at 99% sure Ford is guilty, I need that extra 1 percent to make it 100%. And that extra 1% will be in the form of a video. The video is out there, so therefore cops should show it to the public

Also, to my point, I don't see how Lisi is needed at this point by police at all. It's up to him if he wants to face life imprisonment just for Ford, who can no longer help him.

There are numerous young men right now who are locked up and have full awareness of the situation. I don't expect them to hold back when it comes to their own ass at this point. Evidence has obviously been throughly documented, it's not going anywhere.

Police do however need to ensure the evidence against Lisi and Ford is rock solid, for without the Lisi conviction, Ford cannot be nailed on conspiracy and be subject to summary conviction (at minimum).

But I dunno if you've ever sat on a jury in a criminal trial??! There they always instruct the jury to remember 2 things:

Right now I'm at 99% sure Ford is guilty, I need that extra 1 percent to make it 100%. And that extra 1% will be in the form of a video. The video is out there, so therefore cops should show it to the public

The argument was that releasing the video would not be beneficial to a trial. Your argument was that it should be released ahead of the trial, so you can make a personal judgement. You used, of all things, 'a trial' as your example, ignoring the fundamental difference between your opinion and an actual court of law.

It's not important what you think at this point. The goal is justice.

Also, to my point, I don't see how Lisi is needed at this point by police at all. It's up to him if he wants to face life imprisonment just for Ford, who can no longer help him.

There are numerous young men right now who are locked up and have full awareness of the situation. I don't expect them to hold back when it comes to their own ass at this point. Evidence has obviously been throughly documented, it's not going anywhere.

Police do however need to ensure the evidence against Lisi and Ford is rock solid, for without the Lisi conviction, Ford cannot be nailed on conspiracy and be subject to summary conviction (at minimum).

There are also some people named in the ITO that aren't locked up right now that may have some awareness of the situation. Maybe if the police start hauling them in one by one they will eventually get the information they need to confirm what they believe transpired. A chain is only as good as it's weakest link.

Norm Wilner's most recent article:

Save Rob Ford
Every time he’s found transgressing, he does something even worse. What’s next?

"Visibility and responsibility have never sat well on Rob Ford's shoulders; he's only really effective as a politician when he stands in objection to something. He's terrible at governance, which requires shaping opinions and building consensus. No wonder he's constantly ditching work to get drunk and/or high; it's the only escape he has left."

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195151

That article was outstanding.

If you haven't yet, please read the unredacted parts of the ITO. No one is going to care about the video when they find out about the other things Ford has been doing. There is no way TPS went through this level of surveillance and expense for the sole purpose of busting a drug dealing driver and a dry cleaner. And pay attention to the headings of the redacted parts.

Right now I'm 100% sure that Ford is guilty of being a liar, a hypocrite, and grossly misrepresenting facts on a regular basis. I don't need evidence of crack use to know that Rob Ford is not fit to be mayor. I have no interest in living in a city, country, or province where an elected official is so brazenly allowed to mislead the public, so frequently.

Beyond that we're also 100% sure that Rob Ford knowingly consorts with known criminals, which puts him directly at risk to all sorts of trouble, including but not limited to blackmail, extortion, grafting etc. (as others have pointed out already tonight). In fact there's a huge probability that this is part of Ford's current predicament.

So really, do you need to see crack, and what exactly does it prove?

The argument was that releasing the video would not be beneficial to a trial. Your argument was that it should be released ahead of the trial, so you can make a personal judgement. You used, of all things, 'a trial' as your example, ignoring the fundamental difference between your opinion and an actual court of law
The video is not part of the trial, because Rob Ford is not on trial. Its only part of Lisi's trial, and opinions among legal experts vary whether that means the video can be released to the public or not.

Read here: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._differ_on_whether_police_may_release_it.html

The video is not part of the trial, because Rob Ford is not on trial. Its only part of Lisi's trial, and opinions among legal experts vary whether that means the video can be released to the public or not.

Read here: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._differ_on_whether_police_may_release_it.html

By far, the most compelling argument (which suspiciously is not made on either side frequently) for withholding a piece of evidence, is for a charge not yet laid or to protect an ongoing investigation. This goes for both the video, and the redacted portions of the ITO.

If Lisi's extortion charge relates to the video, would the video not be evidence?

Absolutely. My take is that while it's release might not cause a mis-trial, it has potential to do so. This mainly comes down to the idea that, if the video contains what we think it does, nobody who has seen it will believe that Rob Ford, errr, Lisi, wouldn't try to bury it. This leads to an issue of risking a partial jury, and can be used by the defense as an argument.

That article was outstanding.

Is it ever. Wilner captures it all, using both insight and information, and expresses it brilliantly.

And he addresses the fact that LONG before any of this drugs/extortion/what-have-you, even before the alcoholism coloured the picture, Rob Ford was just a shit mayor. A. Shit. Mayor. No ability to build consensus, no interest even in compromising. Unacceptable anywhere, let alone a non-partisan legislature. No vision - zero, none. His approach to the mayor's job is akin to hiring a part-time greeter at Walmart to oversee the operations of the entire retail giant.

I am just so angry, so offended by this bastard who is holding our city hostage. Get the fuck out of there, idiot.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.59.24 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.59.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.59.24 PM.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back