News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Ford camp normalizing his nightclub behaviour is very clever, also it seems to happen when he needs a distraction...the media should concentrate more on the list affair and the city council votes .

the Ford camp normalizing his nightclub behaviour is very clever, also it seems to happen when he needs a distraction...the media should concentrate more on the list affair and the city council votes .

I hadn't thought of it this way, but you're exactly right. Now the next time he goes on a coke-fuelled St Patrick's Day type bender, it'll be easier to play off as just him hanging out sober at nightclubs... y'know, reaching out to that segment of the electorate.

I have to say, these past couple of days have been really discouraging to me. It seems like the tide is turning in his favour in terms of people approving of his behaviour. I can't tell whether that's accurate or just owing to him doing his damnedest to make it seem true.

the Ford camp normalizing his nightclub behaviour is very clever.
Not sure what that is referring to but lately Ford's appearances after the sun goes down haven't been all that abnormal, in my opinion. He was at the Rivoli last night. It was a fundraiser in support of the music industry. Nothing wrong with that. He's in campaign mode. He was at Real Sports Bar watching hockey. Nothing wrong with that. Olivia Chow was there this morning, as well. He was at Gravity for a friend's birthday party. Nothing wrong with that. I don't see what the problem is here. He doesn't seem to be wasted and/or high (no stains on his shirt).

I guess I'm officially insane, I'm defending Rob Ford :p

Last edited:
Not sure what that is referring to but lately Ford's appearances after the sun goes down haven't been all that abnormal, in my opinion. He was at the Rivoli last night. It was a fundraiser in support of the music industry. Nothing wrong with that. He's in campaign mode. He was at Real Sports Bar watching hockey. Nothing wrong with that. Olivia Chow was there this morning, as well. He was at Gravity for a friend's birthday party. Nothing wrong with that. I don't see what the problem is here. He doesn't seem to be wasted and/or high (no stains on his shirt).

ya, if there's one thing, RoFo is at least a hard worker for campaigning. He's getting out to events, and sadly, people will probably remember the time they got to meet him for a pic rather then care about his politics.

His name was literally chanted several times real sports / maple leafs square.

Now, are all those people 416 voters? No, but there has to be a decent %...?!?!!?

He can't spend the next 8 months clubbing--that's not a campaign strategy. He's only there because there are few other venues left to him downtown. Dare to show up at a subway station during rush hour, or appear with library patrons, or a daycare or long-term care centre (where he's already voted down fire safety) and he'll be chewed up by the angry "folks".

Not sure what that is referring to ... Nothing wrong with that. I don't see what the problem is here. He doesn't seem to be wasted and/or high (no stains on his shirt).

I guess I'm officially insane, I'm defending Rob Ford :p

Haha thank you for the beaut hash tag: #no stains on his shirt !
Really? You aren't a FoSupo? What sane (respectable city's) Mayor clubs seven nights a week?
---
Hey Nenshi! Looking good, like the no stains!
Hey Bloomberg! Are you using a different deodorant?

Hahaha is that your defense? No spilled drinks on his belly?

I hadn't thought of it this way, but you're exactly right. Now the next time he goes on a coke-fuelled St Patrick's Day type bender, it'll be easier to play off as just him hanging out sober at nightclubs... y'know, reaching out to that segment of the electorate.

I have to say, these past couple of days have been really discouraging to me. It seems like the tide is turning in his favour in terms of people approving of his behaviour. I can't tell whether that's accurate or just owing to him doing his damnedest to make it seem true.
That is my thinking, his supporters will most likely see it as he can go out sober and be ok. I get campaigning but he seems to do outrageous things when the focus should be on the other newsworthy things.

He can't spend the next 8 months clubbing--that's not a campaign strategy. He's only there because there are few other venues left to him downtown. Dare to show up at a subway station during rush hour, or appear with library patrons, or a daycare or long-term care centre (where he's already voted down fire safety) and he'll be chewed up by the angry "folks".

I agree it's not much of a campaign strategy, but it seems like the only viable option for Ford at this point. He's lost his coalition of centre right voters who won't back him anymore, and as you said, if he shows up at a retirement home he gets chewed out, so he's courting the youth vote by flat out pandering. I think he believes that hitting the clubs will whip up the youth vote in droves, al la Obama in 2008. I think it reeks of desperation and a fundamental misunderstanding of younger voters, who, when they are engaged, tend to back more progressive candidates.

I just think it is one way of ford getting ahead of the story, so that if he is caught out shit faced it won't seem as strange that he was out at a bar or club because he has shown up to a lot of clubs lately. As for the youth vote, I think they know better and are laughing at him not with him, he is a bit of a freakshow.

I agree it's not much of a campaign strategy, but it seems like the only viable option for Ford at this point. He's lost his coalition of centre right voters who won't back him anymore, and as you said, if he shows up at a retirement home he gets chewed out, so he's courting the youth vote by flat out pandering. I think he believes that hitting the clubs will whip up the youth vote in droves, al la Obama in 2008. I think it reeks of desperation and a fundamental misunderstanding of younger voters, who, when they are engaged, tend to back more progressive candidates.

Slowly but surely, the discussion is turning away from Ford. There was a great satirical piece on Tory in the Globe. And with Stinz entering the race tomorrow, there will be other things to focus on besides Ford's shenanigans. If Chow enters as well, Ford will become increasingly irrelevant as the campaign carries on. (Fingers crossed.)
One person who will only gather steam is Socknaki.
He said on Twitter that he has already attended 60 campaign events in 2 months. How crazy (and hard working) is that?!

David Soknacki ‏@DavidSoknacki 4h
Just finished my 60th scheduled campaign event this year, an afternoon canvass mid-town. 8 mos to go! Many thanks to our volunteers. #topoli

I do think him going to a bar in the middle of a work day to watch the hockey game was a little over-the-top though, considering he is publicly known as an alcoholic and he is collecting a salary from public money...

Don't really care if he makes campaign stops in nightclubs, it's not going to get him elected, and it's not like young people respect him (or care about him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back