8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to ask in my first reply.

From what I understand, these individuals are permitted out alone. Do you think that is safe? Some of the residents seemed concerned about that.

I don't think they would be allowed out on their own if the staff were not sure that it was safe. At least, no less safe than it would be for you or I to be out on our own. I seem to recall reading in one of the many pieces about this that residents of the centre were not allowed out at night.

I forgot to ask in my first reply.

From what I understand, these individuals are permitted out alone. Do you think that is safe? Some of the residents seemed concerned about that.

"Residents say the people at the home have often been in the street unsupervised."

"Residents on Jeffcoat allege that only those living closest to the home received any notice it would begin operation. They say what communication they did get didn’t paint the full picture."

Oh Lord yes. It's fine. Look, when I talk about a range of effects, I mean it's everything from below what Jimmi found to my ever loving partner with a masters in molecular dynamics. the range is so huge that the word autism is almost meaningless. We know nothing of the residents, age, gender, effect of the disorder, etc. There's just no info to go on. And that's okay. Those residents get privacy too. What I can tell you is that I've worked with people from Griffen before and they are the best, most knowledgable staff I've ever had the pleasure to be with. I trust them.

Now, for a specific case, I had a student who lived in a group home as part of their centre. She was totally capable of getting to school on her own and mostly navigating the system. What she needed help with was her daily living (cleaning, cooking, buying food, organization, taking meds, etc) and emotional regulation. That's where the staff come in. Staff helped her with all these tasks and with problem solving and emotional strategies. It was up to her to keep up the practice and I have no doubt in the years since I've seen her that she is on her way to becoming an independent adult. Her situation was serious, but not unsolvable. houses will be staffed 24/7 and it is up to them to work with the residents. If someone isn't okay to be outside on their own, staff will make that call and the resident will stay home. However, just like rehab, it's not prision. If residents are well enough, they are encouraged to be out in the community either with or without support. This is all part of the caring society. All people are should be encouraged to participate to the best of their abilities.

Also, there are several group homes in my hood and I'm sad to say they haven't helped us buy a condo yet. :rolleyes: So another DoFo truth fart there. We have never felt unsafe with residents in the hood.

I seem to recall reading in one of the many pieces about this that residents of the centre were not allowed out at night.

Yes, I read that also.

Oh Lord yes. It's fine. Look, when I talk about a range of effects, I mean it's everything from below what Jimmi found to my ever loving partner with a masters in molecular dynamics. the range is so huge that the word autism is almost meaningless. We know nothing of the residents, age, gender, effect of the disorder, etc. There's just no info to go on. And that's okay. Those residents get privacy too. What I can tell you is that I've worked with people from Griffen before and they are the best, most knowledgable staff I've ever had the pleasure to be with. I trust them.

Now, for a specific case, I had a student who lived in a group home as part of their centre. She was totally capable of getting to school on her own and mostly navigating the system. What she needed help with was her daily living (cleaning, cooking, buying food, organization, taking meds, etc) and emotional regulation. That's where the staff come in. Staff helped her with all these tasks and with problem solving and emotional strategies. It was up to her to keep up the practice and I have no doubt in the years since I've seen her that she is on her way to becoming an independent adult. Her situation was serious, but not unsolvable. houses will be staffed 24/7 and it is up to them to work with the residents. If someone isn't okay to be outside on their own, staff will make that call and the resident will stay home. However, just like rehab, it's not prision. If residents are well enough, they are encouraged to be out in the community either with or without support. This is all part of the caring society. All people are should be encouraged to participate to the best of their abilities.

Also, there are several group homes in my hood and I'm sad to say they haven't helped us buy a condo yet. :rolleyes: So another DoFo truth fart there. We have never felt unsafe with residents in the hood.

Thanks, you would think I would know better having worked at Strachan and Queen. But by nature, I tend to be friendly with strangers. So far, I've been lucky!

"What I can tell you is that I've worked with people from Griffen before and they are the best, most knowledgable staff I've ever had the pleasure to be with. I trust them."

Well, that is certainly a good recommendation!

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I'm struck by how strident many opinions are, despite how much uncertainty there is about what has been happening in the neighbourhood of this house.

What's clear, though, is that Doug Ford is utterly unfit to hold elected office, or to run a mayoral campaign. (As if we didn't already know.) There is no plausible scenario in which he hasn't made things significantly worse for everybody connected to this story, and lots of plausible scenarios in which a decent city councillor could have made things better.

CalgarianExOntarian said:
What's clear, though, is that Doug Ford is utterly unfit to hold elected office, or to run a mayoral campaign. (As if we didn't already know.) There is no plausible scenario in which he hasn't made things significantly worse for everybody connected to this story, and lots of plausible scenarios in which a decent city councillor could have made things better.

I was wondering how many group homes there must be in TO. I have no idea, but I have never heard of a story about one - with only three individuals - get this out of control.

I do notice however there seems to be a lot of "experts" on the subject of autism on Twitter! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I'm struck by how strident many opinions are, despite how much uncertainty there is about what has been happening in the neighbourhood of this house.

People would be looking at this rationally if a Ford wasn't involved. However, he lied about being late because there aren't enough subways, then about the huge decrease of property values, then blamed the break ins on the kids without proof. It became a shit show because of him. A good councillor would have mediated but he threw gasoline on the fire.

I was wondering how many group homes there must be in TO. I have no idea, but I have never heard of a story about one - with only three individuals - get this out of control.

I do notice however there seems to be a lot of "experts" on the subject of autism on Twitter! :D

One of my friends has one 2 doors over in a very nice neighbourhood. I only know about this because there is a mini-bus in the driveway. Also, for some reason their garbage pickup day is different than my friend's. I have no idea how many kids live there but I don't remember there ever being trouble.

People would be looking at this rationally if a Ford wasn't involved. However, he lied about being late because there aren't enough subways, then about the huge decrease of property values, then blamed the break ins on the kids without proof. It became a shit show because of him. A good councillor would have mediated but he threw gasoline on the fire.

Doug went full NIMBY.

There is an increasingly ugly thread at FARK, I'm sure Reddit is all over it as well...
Everyone online is an expert at everything.
(they think)

How many other streets are similar to Jeffcoat in Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough? The traditional heart of Ford Nation.

I wonder how this will play with home owners on Jeffcoat-type streets in those three areas?
http://www.cp24.com/news/doug-ford-defends-comments-about-group-home-1.1827089

Actually, I'd rather look beyond Ford Nation and embrace Jeffcoat-type streets/neighbourhoods as embraceable exemplars of post-WWII "CMHC subdivisions". Of course, a lot of those neighbourhood bozos are the sort who wouldn't look upon that as a point of community pride, but as a "hysterical type" imposition upon their own freedom to teardown or EIFS to their liking. (Oh yeah: it "raises values". Whereas an old house is as useless as a rotary dial phone.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back