39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it begins:

Jonathan Goldsbie
‏@goldsbie
A Ford supporter went directly face-to-face with John Furr. It got ugly.

I can't believe this isn't being televised. Absolute guaranteed ratings.

WATCH LIVE: Mayoral candidates take part in debate beginning at 7 p.m.

Toronto mayoral candidates Olivia Chow, John Tory, Karen Stintz, David Soknacki and Rob Ford participate in a debate being held in Scarborough beginning at 7 p.m.
WATCH LIVE on CP24.com

Recalls have more negatives than positives. Tougher penalties on misbehaviour would be more effective.

I would only accept a recall with exceptional circumstance, I would think you need. I like what Wynne was talking about, having all official parties "okay" it and have a super majority (maybe as high as 75%) of council asking for it. But I don't like the idea of having a certain amount of public signature to push a recall as it can be punishment for hard decision every government sometimes has to make in their term.

This nation has a real problem with not taking White collar crime seriously and especially give a free pass to "men of influence". Rob Ford is not the first of this, the only thing that really stands out about him is that he's so damn brazen(pardon the pun) about it.

America has it's faults, and they also have an advantage for "men of influence" but at least there is some track record of throwing in jail for fraud and other crimes Mayors and local officials behaving badly The list is really long, but at least there seems to be some punishment. The saddest part is that we have a bunch that do the same with nothing happening to them.

I would only accept a recall with exceptional circumstance, I would think you need. I like what Wynne was talking about, having all official parties "okay" it and have a super majority (maybe as high as 75%) of council asking for it. But I don't like the idea of having a certain amount of public signature to push a recall as it can be punishment for hard decision every government sometimes has to make in their term.

This nation has a real problem with not taking White collar crime seriously and especially give a free pass to "men of influence". Rob Ford is not the first of this, the only thing that really stands out about him is that he's so damn brazen(pardon the pun) about it.

America has it's faults, and they also have an advantage for "men of influence" but at least there is some track record of throwing in jail for fraud and other crimes Mayors and local officials behaving badly The list is really long, but at least there seems to be some punishment. The saddest part is that we have a bunch that do the same with nothing happening to them.

You are in favour of removal (by a legislative or judicial process). Assume that most agree that's good to have so long as it's a very high bar. A recall specifically means that citizens vote the person out via some combination of petition and/or referenda. That process is open to abuse and political interference and just confuses things.

A bit semantic but it's an important distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back