News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never trust online polls. There's also a thing called "self-selection bias", look it up.

That survey is entirely and utterly useless. Sorry. I may as well ask my cat and my friends' cats who they'd vote for, and call that a representative sample.

Mayor Whiskas 2014!

No shit sherlock.

But Forum has been the dominant voice so far and they only call landlines. That might work when you're calling across the province, or across the country. But in Toronto, if you're not calling cell phones, then you're basically just making shit up.

The polls are bullshit in Toronto, but the media keep touting them. More in the field means a likelihood of more divergent numbers (like last Friday's poll) that can upset the current narrative.

He could be vomiting from whatever drugs he's on (legal, I doubt he's using in hospital) and if you listen to a phlegmy asthmatic on the phone, it's always bad sounding.

It sounds like in this article Wormington is just repeating what Ford is telling him about his condition. I can imagine that Rob thinks every test or slightly invasive procedure is a "biopsy".

No shit sherlock.

But Forum has been the dominant voice so far and they only call landlines.

I've always been curious about the premise of Forum only calling landlines. What exactly defines a "land line"? I had a land line many years ago which I ported over to a cell and no longer have any land line at all. Doing a reverse lookup online shows that my number is still a landline.

So could I potentially get a call from Forum or no?

Oh, don't be too paranoid about that "Sun shares your info!" graphic. A lot of those are CDNs or social media networks. Sure, Twitter and Facebook know (if you're logged in with them) that you visited the Toronto Sun. They may even use that and your IP to display you more targeted advertising in the future. They're not being evil, and if you're not cookied with those sites they have no idea who you are anyway. God forbid Pinterest saw that my IP visited the Sun...

But a lot of those remote content URLs are to APIs and to CDNs - COMPLETELY normal for any large website. People who are not interested at all in finding out who you are and have no way of finding out. They're paid to provide a service, either delivering some software component or delivering content like images, scripts, etc. This is totally normal in software development.

The social media ones might know who you are, yeah, but if you're anal about targeted advertising you probably shouldn't be on social media to begin with.

Oh, I don't feel the slightest bit paranoid about it. i'm just pointing out that Sun Media makes money by selling your info. That's the business model. It's no different from the Star, Huff Post, Dictionary.com or whatever. I'm just pointing out that--in the case of the Sun--the thing they use to drive traffic to their site are these bogus Smarmington "exclusives".

No shit sherlock.

But Forum has been the dominant voice so far and they only call landlines. That might work when you're calling across the province, or across the country. But in Toronto, if you're not calling cell phones, then you're basically just making shit up.

The polls are bullshit in Toronto, but the media keep touting them. More in the field means a likelihood of more divergent numbers (like last Friday's poll) that can upset the current narrative.

You can't call cell phones. For example, for many years, I had a billing address in Toronto with a Toronto number but never actually owned or leased property in Toronto. Calling me would be useless. My friend, on the other hand, had a Montreal address and a Montreal number, but did rent property in Toronto. Calling him would be useful. Not only that, but private businesses have no access to the billing addresses of other private businesses' customers.

Also, I think there is some spam legislation that forbids you from cold-calling mobile phones, although I'm not 100% sure about that. I know it existed and it came about back when airtime cost a $stupid amount of money - although shitty companies still do cold-call cell phones with automated messages, they're usually fly-by-night operation, usually scams. You won't have a large corporation cold-calling you on a mobile unless you have an existing relationship.

But yes, "no shit" indeed.

I've always been curious about the premise of Forum only calling landlines. What exactly defines a "land line"? I had a land line many years ago which I ported over to a cell and no longer have any land line at all. Doing a reverse lookup online shows that my number is still a landline.

So could I potentially get a call from Forum or no?

A landline is where a pair of copper wires goes straight to your house. "VoIP landlines" are not landlines, they are Internet phone services. If you have telephone service on the pair of copper wires that go to your house, you have a landline.

They are used for polling because you know for certain that person lives in the city you are trying to poll.

If you ported over a landline number to a mobile one, I would hope their databases would have been updated, but I actually am not sure how that would work at all. Any telecom peeps in the house?

It sounds like in this article Wormington is just repeating what Ford is telling him about his condition. I can imagine that Rob thinks every test or slightly invasive procedure is a "biopsy".

He'd like to reveal the test results, but unfortunately he can't discuss anything that's before the corpse.

Nonsense. I've dealt with multiple health concerns and disability. When I'm experiencing the worst effects of it the last thing I would do is call people to listen to their petty nuisances. If you felt bad before why the hell would you reach out to people with tiny problems.

If he's calling constituents about pot holes it is to remind them that he has it a lot worse than they do.

Fair enough, but that's you. Rob Ford is a different creature. IMO, calls people all the time because it makes him feel important and appreciated. That's why he's in politics in the first place. I'd expect Rob to keep making calls at a time like this because it gives him a pyschological boost. It also gives him something "normal" to do in the midst of extraordinary events.

An assumption is being made that the calls are related to constituent issues such as pot holes, however he could be calling some voters that he's closer too, just to chat about how he's doing, etc. The context of the calls hasn't been revealed, and if constituents want to bother him about potholes at a time like this, that would be strange.

I don't think he often responds to new calls. I've read several anecdotes from people who say Rob called them in the middle of night months after their initial call, after they'd pretty much forgotten about it.

If Warmington had spoken to Doug, he probably would have written that Rob had a lung enema.

If he's being subjected to biopsy procedures, poking and probing, numerous imaging, blood tests AND he's up all night vomiting then there really is no room for being in denial.

I guess I don't get flonicky's point about what I originally wrote: if he's really sick, he WILL face questions about his motives for running for a post he knows he could win, but could not fulfill the required duties. Because that's a pretty huge abuse of public trust.

A landline is where a pair of copper wires goes straight to your house. "VoIP landlines" are not landlines, they are Internet phone services. If you have telephone service on the pair of copper wires that go to your house, you have a landline.

Obviously. I guess the question more accurately is how does a polling company know whether I have copper wires going into my house or not?

I guess I don't get flonicky's point about what I originally wrote: if he's really sick, he WILL face questions about his motives

My point was that if he's really sick, he'll be too dead to answer questions and it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back