News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malignant Liposarcoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liposarcoma

Liposarcoma is a malignant tumor that arises in fat cells in deep soft tissue, such as that inside the thigh or in the retroperitoneum. They are typically large bulky tumors which tend to have multiple smaller satellites extending beyond the main confines of the tumor. Liposarcomas, like all sarcomas, are rare.

Symptoms

Patients usually note a deep seated mass in their soft tissue. Only when the tumor is very large do symptoms of pain or functional disturbances occur.
Retroperitoneal tumors may present themselves with signs of weight loss and emaciation and abdominal pain. These tumors may also compress the kidney or ureter leading to kidney failure.

Diagnosis

A dedifferentiated liposarcoma has a poorly differentiated component, that is not identifiable as a liposarcoma (left edge of image), and a differentiated component with lipoblasts and increased vascularity (right of image). Morphologically benign adipose tissue (center of image) has few blood vessels. H&E stain.
The diagnosis is established by histologic examination of the tissue, i.e. biopsy or excisional biopsy. Lipoblasts are often present; these are cells with an abundant clear multi-vacuolated cytoplasm and an eccentric darkly staining nucleus that is indented by the vacuoles.

Subtypes
Several subtypes of liposarcoma exist:
##Well-differentiated liposarcoma, synonymous with atypical lipomatous tumor; the former term is used almost exclusively for lesions in the retroperitoneum, while the latter is used for lesions arising elsewhere.
##Dedifferentiated liposarcoma, which consists of well-differentiated liposarcoma adjacent to a more poorly differentiated tumor.
##Myxoid/round cell liposarcoma.
##Pleomorphic liposarcoma.

Incidence and prevalence

Most frequent in middle-aged and older adults (age 40 and above), liposarcomas are the second most common of all soft-tissue sarcomas following malignant fibrous histiocytomas. Annually 2.5 cases occur per million population.

Prognosis

The prognosis varies depending on the site of origin, the type of cancer cell, the tumor size, the depth, and proximity to lymph nodes. Well-differentiated liposarcomas treated with surgery and radiation have a low recurrence rate (about 10%) and rarely metastasize.[3] Five-year survival rates vary from 100% to 56% based on histological subtype.

Just to save you some googling time: http://sarcomahelp.org/liposarcoma.html

So, good prognosis -- malignant, but good 5 and 10 year survival rates.

And gee, no lung biopsy mentioned?

I too noted the lack of a lung biopsy.

I don't know that the prognosis is that good, from your link

If these liposarcomas arise within the abdomen, complete eradication of the tumor in the long term is less common. This is probably because it is difficult for the surgeon to completely remove tumors in this location.

I too noted the lack of a lung biopsy.

I don't know that the prognosis is that good, from your link

There are still good stats on long term survival. Not 100%, but nothing is. It's not the deathbed watch that Warmington was predicting. It's more than a bump in the road, but there is definite hope and he has a good management team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back