News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Layton had prostate cancer which was treated with curative intent some time before the 2011 election. He had a hip fracture probably related to treatment just prior to the election (hence the cane), which is not an uncommon complication. When he went on leave afterwards, he announced having a second cancer (my theory is a lymphoma secondary to prior treatment), which evidently was pretty aggressive.

Anyway at no time did he milk any kind of sympathy for political purposes - I find comparisons to Ford unseemly and odious.

Not a chance.

Ford is going to be dead before 2018, and likely sooner.

If he doesn't change his negative habits, and more importantly I think, the Ford Family Compact needs to end theirs and not push Robbie to do negative things or act as enablers.

When he became ill the second time, they said it was cancer but that they were not going to reveal what type of cancer -- but it wasn't the prostate cancer recurring.
This was after the election though wasn't it?

The claim was that the NDP benefited from Layton's cancer. And I'm not seeing how, given the timing of the election. In the subsequent Ontario election, the NDP lost seats in the GTA where Layton is sainted and would have had impact.[/QUOTE]

This was after the election though wasn't it?

The claim was that the NDP benefited from Layton's cancer. And I'm not seeing how, given the timing of the election. In the subsequent Ontario election, the NDP lost seats in the GTA where Layton is sainted and would have had impact.
[/QUOTE]

To me, it was obvious during the election that Layton was very ill. He wore makeup (I'm guessing to cover up the jaundice), and he looked weak and frail. But his illness, other than his own jokes about his cane, was not an issue. Maybe he should have stepped down sooner, but I'm sure he thought he could beat it. Regardless, he didn't use his illness to garner sympathy, and he didn't make thinly veiled campaign speeches from his sickbed.

Sure, the argument can be made that he shouldn't have been running, but as others have pointed out, Ford is using his illness and milking it; Layton didn't.

Warmington
"Doug Ford's goal is to beat John Tory"
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/1...n-tory?token=59a43039afe0235c7d0620200782467f

The whole city may have been listening to what Mayor Rob Ford was saying in his hospital room address but John Tory understood what it meant.

There is a Ford coming his way.

One not under police investigation, fighting addictions or cancer.

“The city’s future and the issues facing Toronto can’t wait,” a gravelly voiced Mayor Ford said in an audio recording from Mt. Sinai Hospital. “So, I’m encouraging my brother to jump into this race, wholeheartedly, right now.”

Just like that the campaign was back on.

And Councillor Doug Ford, who a week ago replaced the mayor on the ballot, is already ramping up what will be in essence a six-week sprint to the Oct. 27 finish line.

“By the end of the campaign people will know exactly who John Tory is,” Doug Ford told me.

Of course the platform will be fiscal accountability and other Ford staples. But the motivation is to beat frontrunner Tory.

Warmington
"Doug Ford's goal is to beat John Tory"
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/1...n-tory?token=59a43039afe0235c7d0620200782467f

The whole city may have been listening to what Mayor Rob Ford was saying in his hospital room address but John Tory understood what it meant.

There is a Ford coming his way.

One not under police investigation, fighting addictions or cancer.

“The city’s future and the issues facing Toronto can’t wait,” a gravelly voiced Mayor Ford said in an audio recording from Mt. Sinai Hospital. “So, I’m encouraging my brother to jump into this race, wholeheartedly, right now.”

Just like that the campaign was back on.

And Councillor Doug Ford, who a week ago replaced the mayor on the ballot, is already ramping up what will be in essence a six-week sprint to the Oct. 27 finish line.

“By the end of the campaign people will know exactly who John Tory is,” Doug Ford told me.

Of course the platform will be fiscal accountability and other Ford staples. But the motivation is to beat frontrunner Tory.

OMG the motivation of a mayoral candidate is to beat the person in the lead and become mayor? I'm SHOCKED. Sometimes when I think of Warmington I get the South Park song from the Mormon episode stuck in my head "dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back