News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the squarest Scarborough resident or something. I never sold any weed or hash during high school. Maybe I wasn't quite the young entrepreneur at that age as young Dougie was. :D

Some of us had to wait til university....you know, when you're really, really broke and not under the care of mom and pop.

Perhaps because--and this is what I understand it to be--he was no big deal back in his day. I wasn't around in that day so I can't speak from experience, but a small suburban plaza hash dealer? Dime a dozen for those where I grew up in Scarborough in the 90s.

But I've heard Doug described as a "mid-level dealer", i.e., someone who took significant weight from bigger people bringing hash into Canada, and in turn supplied a number of small-time dealers. If this is accurate, it's not "no big deal", but I'd be happy to hear anyone's corrections.

No conflict of interest here, folks. Now move along.
MovingVan.png

Attachments

• MovingVan.png
    MovingVan.png
    223 KB · Views: 715
If he was literally just selling it off the corner at that plaza then it doesn't matter where he was getting it, he couldn't have been shifting that much. Unless he was somehow the only game in town in that area, which I find hard to believe. Though, I was only born in 1985 so I have no experience with Toronto's drug trade in the 80s.

But I've heard Doug described as a "mid-level dealer", i.e., someone who took significant weight from bigger people bringing hash into Canada, and in turn supplied a number of small-time dealers. If this is accurate, it's not "no big deal", but I'd be happy to hear anyone's corrections.

I thought Doug just sold to end users but ran a really tight ship. Randy I heard rose to mid level years after Doug had gone legit.

Toronto needs more candidates like Goldkind and Soknacki.
I do hope that there's some way to keep them involved in the city after the election.

I bet post election donations to help with the costs would be helpful. I'm thinking of trying to crowd source some sense into the next election.

Last edited:
Not the best way but a good way nonetheless. Golf is hugely important in business when you're at or near an executive level. My pops spent at least half his workdays golfing with clients and board members. Lots more women started to take lessons because they knew it'd open opportunities. I don't get the controversy.

My mother was one of those women who learned to play golf. It didn't get her ahead in her work, it just got her on the golf course. Her entire career she has watched younger and less capable white men sail past her in salary and opportunity. Want to guess how many times she's been called aggressive or strident? She's achieved some success, but make no mistake, she's been bashing her head against the glass ceiling her entire life and has had to struggle for every achievement.

Since you seem unwilling to dig into the reasons why people were upset about the golf comments and about his most recent comments, let me spell it out for you: it's systemic, stupid.

John Tory's denial of white privilege, along with saying women never came to negotiate higher salaries and that women should learn to play golf if they want to advance their careers misses the point that people of colour and women are held back by much greater forces that they have little or no control over. Tory's insensitivity to those realities is what makes everyone so upset.

Some of us had to wait til university....you know, when you're really, really broke and not under the care of mom and pop.

During my college days I used to live on a combination of day old bread that was on sale, budget brand mac n cheese, rice with tinned meat. With the very rare ahem, foray into my landlord's fridge. :p Ain't proud of it, but when someone is literally that hungry, I know what that can do to people and I can cut some slack.

My main point is I don't quite buy Doug's defense of "I only sold the occasional joint to my friends for 10$, if you want to call that dealing...". Someone selling small amounts of weed to make ends meet is one thing. While Doug may not be TO's Tony Montagna of hash, he doesn't strike me as strictly small time either.

Graeme is already using Tory's goof as a deflection for the Globe story on Twitter.

It's a worthy question
It's a 'gotcha' type situation, no doubt. But it's not entirely misplaced. Still, kinda weird.

I saw quite a bit of it. I cannot even describe the moderator's behavior. He reminded me of my brother who when you play pictionary or charades with him it has to be his way which will be overly complicated if only to give him more floor time while he explains how it will be. He pictures himself a leader but everyone is just tolerating him.Barely. Weird.

If he was literally just selling it off the corner at that plaza then it doesn't matter where he was getting it, he couldn't have been shifting that much. Unless he was somehow the only game in town in that area, which I find hard to believe. Though, I was only born in 1985 so I have no experience with Toronto's drug trade in the 80s.

If the Globe story is true, Doug was probably not the guy who sold to end users, but he might be the guy who sold to the dealer who sold to end users.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...y-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?page=all

There were usually a number of dealers to choose from, some of them supplied by a mainstay at James Gardens – a young man with the hulk-like frame and mop of bright blond hair: Doug Ford. “Most people didn’t approach Doug looking for product. You went to the guys that he supplied. Because if Doug didn’t know you and trust you, he wouldn’t even roll down his window,” Justin said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back