News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sorry don't care about mayoral debate..we should focus on Ebola preparations cause we are next, just wait & see"
https://twitter.com/tc_shaun/status/522498336268771328

I agree.

I see Toronto's Paramedics are still issued the same PPE we wore during SARS. Made by Bounty. The quicker Ebola picker upper. Not much better than wearing a paper towel.

I've listened and watched many of the debates, because I am interested in how the candidates - now narrowed down to Ms Chow, Mr Ford and Mr Tory - would react to the stress of being in command - minute by minute - during a disaster.

The first elected leader I served under was Mel Lastman. I've got to admit, I wasn't impressed by the way he handled SARS. I had complete faith in Mayor Miller, and thankfully was retired by the time RoFo got in.

Any thoughts about which of the three leading candidates could best handle a disaster?

ETA

This from before the RoDoFo switcheroo. It's a bit dated, but I think still relevant as we come down to the wire.

"Toronto mayoral candidate Olivia Chow is the only person on the planet right now who can ensure Mayor Rob Ford is not re-elected."
http://www.680news.com/inside/blog/will-olivia-chow-drop-out-of-torontos-mayoral-race-or-wont-she/

"What a struggle it must be for Chow to confront the option of dropping out, but if her main goal is to get rid of Ford, she could do that right here, right now."

Last edited:
Lies lies lies!
Remember, the Fords are not about the truth. They are about power. Lie and bs your way to achieve that power. Slugo even said it's not about the truth. If the voters buy the bs, then all is right because democracy/ the people made their choice. Watch the scene in Dark Knight Rises where Bain gives his speech about the people taking back Gotham. Sounds corny, but that is the same MO that the Fords, Capones, Gotti's, etc use to garner support from the lowly working man. Sound familiar, folks!

Last edited:
Andray Domise ‏@AndrayDomiseTO
Seeing as our signs are disappearing during the week faster than I can replace them on my own, we need help here in #ward2. #TOpoli

"

Any thoughts about which of the three leading candidates could best handle a disaster?

Tory would present an authoritative voice in an emergency. Olivia would be comforting, perhaps informational. Ford would bluster in his usual way, and make it about grandstanding. And then, when any of the three are done, experts who can actually get the things that need to be done accomplished will take over, and everything will be fine. In other words, I don't think the style of leadership will make that much of a difference in actual emergency response.

This from before the RoDoFo switcheroo. It's a bit dated, but I think still relevant as we come down to the wire.

"Toronto mayoral candidate Olivia Chow is the only person on the planet right now who can ensure Mayor Rob Ford is not re-elected."
http://www.680news.com/inside/blog/will-olivia-chow-drop-out-of-torontos-mayoral-race-or-wont-she/

"What a struggle it must be for Chow to confront the option of dropping out, but if her main goal is to get rid of Ford, she could do that right here, right now."

Same can be said for Tory. Why isn't it being said about him? *coughKouvaliscough*

Hey, for all those weighing in on the "who would be worse (or better, if you like): Ford or Tory" debate: I want to shift the emphasis of my point a little, because this is what it's really about for me: I don't want to see the Scarborough subway or SmartTrack happen, ever. They are both travesties that will f*ck Toronto over, albeit in different ways, with regard to making the right decisions about the limited amount of funds available for the transit the city desperately needs.

John Tory is pushing for both projects, and I believe he could make a lot more headway on them than the Fords ever could---in a way, it's a compliment to him. Like a lot of voters and councillors, I think he seems decent, intelligent and honest (enough). There is no comparison between him and Doug the human bucket of garbage juice. I feel quite certain that if Doug were elected, he would find some way to make the Scarborough deal come crashing down. I truly believe in his ability to f*ck things up completely.

So when I say I'd almost rather Doug be voted in than Tory, I mean this specifically in light of the very narrow but critically important matter of transit. I guess I just want to make this clear. In no way do I think it's a wiser or better decision to vote Ford overall, and again, Doug is not worthy to kiss John Tory's nine iron.

"I cannot believe the #Ward2 debate (even without Rob) has degenerated into a debate of subways versus LRTs."
https://twitter.com/SpartanVTyranny/status/522554644053377024

"The LRT is not a streetcar. Let me repeat, the LRT is not a streetcar." - @AndrayDomiseTO #Ward2
https://twitter.com/SpartanVTyranny/status/522552476038619137

Sounds like Mikey is also on radio silence.

View attachment 35747
http://frankmag.ca/2014/10/ford-nation-16/

FFS, that's the wrong argument.

"Despite what some people are saying, there's only so much money to go around. Rexdale residents deserve rapid transit more than Scarborough residents prefer their rapid transit to be underground."

Thanks. That's very comforting to know. ;)

Ha, you added the smiley, wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic. :) In my view though, I think that's how things generally play out. I think the mayor is mainly the voice from on high, and all kinds of experts/heroes/committees/etc. take over in times of crisis, to the extent that the mayor has negligible real impact. The city made it through the ice storm and flooding with that doofus, and the SARS crisis with the other doofus. I can't really see a mayor causing much harm in an emergency. Disclaimer: far outside of any inner circle emergency planning activities.

Ha, you added the smiley, wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic. :) In my view though, I think that's how things generally play out. I think the mayor is mainly the voice from on high, and all kinds of experts/heroes/committees/etc. take over in times of crisis, to the extent that the mayor has negligible real impact. The city made it through the ice storm and flooding with that doofus, and the SARS crisis with the other doofus. I can't really see a mayor causing much harm in an emergency. Disclaimer: far outside of any inner circle emergency planning activities.

I never gave it any thought until we started serving under elected leaders in 1998.

During SARS, Mayor Lastman told CNN's Anderson Cooper he had never heard of the World Health Organization.

Doug Ford does not play well with others. What if Doug has another feud with the Chief of Police? He called the councillors "monkeys". He has a terrible relationship with the media. Not so good with the Premier either. Not sure if Ottawa will return his calls now that Jim Flaherty is gone. How many lawsuits has he threatened?

I'm not sure Doug is any more qualified than Rob was.

During news conferences, I find him to be almost inarticulate. We've all seen the fights and disruption in the council chamber. The extra security required around him and Rob.

JT on the other hand, I can understand what he is communicating. He seems to be able to process a lot of information rapidly and make decisions. He gets along well with practically everyone. Judging by the debates, he seems to handle stress very well.

Emergency Services realized it's a whole new ball game after 9/11, and that must include our choice of mayor.

Last edited:
So, the logic here is, "If the leader of the city is going to be someone with ideals I disagree with, I'd rather he be utterly incompetent and inept."

Can't say I share that POV but, hey, you can't dispute that, um, it's a point of view a human being might hold.
I can't say I share it either. Having Ford as a mouthpiece of the city enboldens like-minded people to think that the actions of Ford are socially acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back