News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but they didn't use the term. It seemed to be implicit that all paramilitary groups in NI operate(d) on the premise that they supported 'the people', for varying definitions of the term.

'Green Irish'?

They did use it, though. cf my earlier post with 2 referenced links (selected at random from a number of mentions found in a Google search). The things I learn on this board! :)

Either that, or Stephen Marche is one of the few Toronto media types who honestly calls it as they sees it.

Stephen Marche - and I don't mean this in a bad way - is pretty committed to the artsy-leftist side. Not that it's insignificant that the NY Times is carrying his stuff, but people who don't know him, who might think he's just some random freelancer opining in the Times should look him up. He's anything but.

(Among other things, he's married to TO Life editor Sarah Fulford, for example...)

Again it maybe a term familar to only me and mine nevertheless here goes...If you have an Irish background you probably can explain it using other terms
It goes back to the troubles of the 19th and early 20th century....three colours
Green Irish...Irish Catholics loyal to Dublin and Independance
Orange Irish...Ulster Protestants and all that goes with it
Black Irish...Irish Catholics who viewed Britain as a help rather than an occupier (the Greens looked on them as quislings) and many them immigrated to Canada (witness the Black Donnellys)

Another thing learned - thanks! The Orange and the Green I was familiar with - but always wondered about the 'Black Irish' moniker. I didn't know that one had such a specific political meaning (those I knew who referred to selves as same just happened to have that coloring, so I imagined it simply referred to that!) - makes perfect sense that political subgroup would exist!

Last edited:
Again it maybe a term familar to only me and mine nevertheless here goes...If you have an Irish background you probably can explain it using other terms
It goes back to the troubles of the 19th and early 20th century....three colours
Green Irish...Irish Catholics loyal to Dublin and Independance
Orange Irish...Ulster Protestants and all that goes with it
Black Irish...Irish Catholics who viewed Britain as a help rather than an occupier (the Greens looked on them as quislings) and many them immigrated to Canada (witness the Black Donnellys)

I thought that was what you might have meant by Green Irish, although I've never heard the term (nor Orange Irish, although that one seems self-evident).

Black Irish just refers to Irish people with dark hair and occasionally darker complexions than most other Irish. That might be the case with the Black Donnellys, although 'black' may have been a signifier for 'disreputable' in their particular case.

Last edited:
"Doug Ford tells @am640oakley that Chicago is his 2nd favourite city (next to Toronto)"

I would love to give Doug a geography test on Toronto.

My guess is that he does not know TO well at all. Other than what he has seen of it on the mayoral camping trail.

I doubt if he knew Ward 2 very well, prior to inheriting it from Rob.

Has he ever used the TTC ( for non-political rides )?

Last edited:
Black Irish just refers to Irish people with dark hair and occasionally darker complexions than most other Irish. That might be the case with the Black Donnellys, although 'black' may have been a signifier for 'disreputable' in their particular case.[/QUOTE]

I would enjoyed being a fly on the wall listening to you explain that to My Black Irish grandmother and her explaining why her ancestors were forced to move from County Offaly to County Down to Workington Cumberland...

Stephen Marche - and I don't mean this in a bad way - is pretty committed to the artsy-leftist side. Not that it's insignificant that the NY Times is carrying his stuff, but people who don't know him, who might think he's just some random freelancer opining in the Times should look him up. He's anything but.

(Among other things, he's married to TO Life editor Sarah Fulford, for example...)

He also wrote a piece in the Globe about Ford's weight that was pulled off the website:

StephenMarche-Ford.jpg

Attachments

• StephenMarche-Ford.jpg
    StephenMarche-Ford.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 636
Thats because Blair and TPS are protecting the Fords!

I await my strongly worded warning letter;)

Looks like somebody tweeted the cops! This is hardly Rob's first election, so he must have known the rules.

"TorontoPolice Can you explain why #RobFord has not been fined for campaigning at THREE different polling stations?!"
https://twitter.com/clairecallway/status/524048541132808193

The Star’s endorsements for Toronto city council in Wards 1 to 21: Editorial -
https://twitter.com/alimjiwa/status/524054189044146176

Rob did not get the Ward 2 endorsement. Big surprise. < sarcasm >

I would enjoyed being a fly on the wall listening to you explain that to My Black Irish grandmother and her explaining why her ancestors were forced to move from County Offaly to County Down to Workington Cumberland...

I have no insight into why her ancestors would have been forced to move. If she and they were referred to as Black Irish, it would be for reasons of appearance, not because they were Catholics sympathetic to Britain. Not all dark-haired Irish shared that position, and not all Irish Catholics favourably inclined towards Britain had dark hair; those characteristics might coincide for some. That is all. 'Black Irish' is not a political signifier.

I guess Graeme is unaware that a councillor can live anywhere in the city. In fact, I am pretty sure Doug doesn't live in Ward 2.

Neither of the Fords has ever lived in Ward 2. They live in Ward 4. Domise does not live in Ward 2 now but (unlike either of the Fords) he grew up in Ward 2 (in Rexdale).

McEacheran is a loser who thinks that he has a 'real' job because a couple of dishonest boors are willing to pay him to run errands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back