News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I stand corrected. At least Rob could be booted out.

Indeed he could.

Power of judge to declare seat vacant, disqualify member and require restitution

10. (1) Subject to subsection (2), where the judge determines that a member or a former member while he or she was a member has contravened subsection 5 (1), (2) or (3), the judge,

(a) shall, in the case of a member, declare the seat of the member vacant; and

(b) may disqualify the member or former member from being a member during a period thereafter of not more than seven years; and

(c) may, where the contravention has resulted in personal financial gain, require the member or former member to make restitution to the party suffering the loss, or, where such party is not readily ascertainable, to the municipality or local board of which he or she is a member or former member.

Saving by reason of inadvertence or error

(2) Where the judge determines that a member or a former member while he or she was a member has contravened subsection 5 (1), (2) or (3), if the judge finds that the contravention was committed through inadvertence or by reason of an error in judgment, the member is not subject to having his or her seat declared vacant and the member or former member is not subject to being disqualified as a member, as provided by subsection (1).

R.S.O. 1990, c. M.50, s. 10 (1).

Doug is also named in that lawsuit, so even though he lost, he couldn't run in Ward 2 again.

I don't think Doug would run again, they'll probably get one of his daughters or Mikey. Doug likes to be the big kahuna, plus it wouldn't be as much fun for him without his playmate Rob.

Tory has confirmed that Nick Kouvalis will not be on his staff any longer and that he would like Chow and Soknacki to be part of his team. That's not the worst possible start.

Someone I know ran into Soks a couple of weeks ago. He said he wasn't interested in anything but the mayor's job. Maybe he'll change his mind.

We need ranked ballots - and term limits! Incumbents have it too easy. How the hell did Mammoliti get re-elected.

I agree about the need for ranked ballots but I don't understand the widespread hate for Mammoliti, who had the good grace to do what people asked of him: get a labotomy. We should reward politicians who do what is asked.

I don't think Doug would run again, they'll probably get one of his daughters or Mikey. Doug likes to be the big kahuna, plus it wouldn't be as much fun for him without his playmate Rob.

I don't think Doug is interested in the Ward 2 seat. The family is saving that for Mike. Doug is going to use last night's result to show the PCPO he can deliver a seat in Toronto. The party will hold its nose, approve his nomination... and assign him a place somewhere on the back bench. I don't see any evidence the Ford brand plays well outside of Toronto, and Doug is too fast and loose with the truth to get much of platform within the party.

The ranked ballot initiative can't move fast enough for me.

I wish they would return to having the ward councillors elect the most senior political figure.

That's the way it was until recent years.

Now, we have a high percentage of voters who will vote the Ford bloodline ( Doug, Rob, Mikey and gawd knows what other relatives are in line for next time, even if they have to change their names. ) no matter what, and a lesser percentage who will always "vote with their heart" no matter what.

It's like this city has a death wish, and it's a recipe for disaster in 2018.

Last edited:
I was on it for a few weeks after surgery and I got moonfaced pretty quick. Everyone reacts differently.

Exactly. I never got the moon face, or some of the nastier side effects, I did get the appetite and weight though.

Let's be frank, the phenomenon is cultish.

Yup. And sad to say, this is hardly unique. Across the border, the Republican Party has been getting increasingly cult-like for years now, a phenomenom that seems to have culminated with the Tea Party assholes. It's not that difficult to figure out once you realize that they themselves are the objects of worship in these situations. Really, it's just a jumped-up version of the usual tribalism at work. A couple of years ago, I read some online commentary from a fellow who'd tried to reach out to one of these creatures: He was calm and polite, did not resort to name calling, used logic and facts while talking to this particular wingnut, didn't get emotional at all. And the right wing kook he was attempting to reason with got visibly angrier and angrier all the while, until he finally screeched, his face suffused with rage, "You think you're better than me!"

You cannot reason with people who don't want to be reasoned with, and you can't appease bullies who have no interest in appeasement. Tory had better have a plan to deal with this faction; I have no doubt they're going to be a pain in the ass, and the Fords (unfortunately) didn't receive the crushing they so richly deserved at the ballot box. Though even if they had, I suspect we wouldn't have seen the last of them...

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 12.04.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 12.04.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 12.04.06 PM.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 576
I wonder if Tory's plan to unite left/centre/right will work out. Reminds me of when Obama took office pledging to reach out to adversaries at home and abroad, only to be faced with the harsh reality that it's not so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back