News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with January 30th or 31st being the last day to enter the PC leadership race, I guess it's safe to say Doug won't be entering since he held a fundraiser for Elliott.

Still don't understand why a Toronto or local GTA MP hasn't thrown their hat in the ring...Roxanne James, Stella Ambler, Mark Adler, Bernard Trottier, Parm Gill all are better urban candidates than those now in the race...at least they'd make the 58+ GTA seats competitive (gee, that is almost 50% of the seats in the 2018 Legislature) and that doesn't include Hamilton/Niagara/K-W...I guess the Ontario PC's prefer to be a rump rural party.....

Roxanne James is my MP and never stops sending me stupid flyers...

Last edited:
Roxann James is my MP and never stops sending me stupid flyers...

10 percenters...much like MP Parm Gill up here in Buffy's Corners... it is the standard Conservative mantra "any notice is good notice"...think of driving down the road and what seems like every second sign is "Economic Action Plan brought to you by the Government of Canada"

Rural ridings (both federal and provincial) represent LESS in population compared with urban ridings. The average riding size in Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia is around 70,000 people, Prince Edward Island it is just over 30,000, in Ontario it is about 110,000. The GTA ridings have populations of 150,000-170,000.

Rural ridings (both federal and provincial) represent LESS in population compared with urban ridings. The average riding size in Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia is around 70,000 people, Prince Edward Island it is just over 30,000, in Ontario it is about 110,000. The GTA ridings have populations of 150,000-170,000.

The riding quotient is 111,166....then you have to consider "grandfathering" and "senatorial" clauses.....thus giving overrepresentation to PEI (the grossest difference 4 seats where 1 is merited by population), NS, NB, NFLD, Man, Sask and PQ while underrepresenting Ont, BC and Ab...Oh and even Ontario has an overrepresented area, I speak of North of the Mattawa where there are 10 seats where only approx 7 are merited...

Does it seem that Rob Ford considers that only the real wealthy should run government. If you can't afford to buy everyone in your staff lunch, out of your own pocket, you shouldn't run for political office.

From this article on
Rob Ford: Government is for the Wealthy

at this link, from back in December 20, 2010:

Mayor Rob Ford and brother and Councillor Doug showed their Respect for Taxpayers — and their largesse — at Thursday’s Council meeting, catering baked goods and pizza for all 45 councillors and senior City officials out of their own pockets.

While their volunteerism and hospitality are admirable traits, both are underwritten by the Ford brothers’ enormous personal wealth, and both are troubling signs of the administration’s ideological tilt.

Mayor and Councillor Ford see themselves as patrons, whether of council, of the arts, or the poor. Indeed, then–Councillor Rob Ford’s website routinely listed his thousands of dollars in personal donations to charitable (as well as political) causes.

Who needs sound public policy, when we can depend on the generosity and largesse of the elite? Who needs a social welfare system, when we have charitable giving from the wealthy? This attitude permeates virtually all elements of the Fords’ policy approach — whether then–mayoral candidate Ford’s offer to personally help buy street drugs for a sick constituent, his belief that an arts and culture plan can be replaced by selling tickets to galas, or the belief (articulated at a Latino-organized mayoral debate) that youth-oriented social programs could be replaced by football teams and cheerleading squads.

Clearly, under the Fords’ approach, the only ones of us fit to hold office are the independently wealthy: those rich enough to volunteer our time, buy pizza for everyone, and replace public policy with personal patronage. Hardly the Common Man image Ford proclaims for himself — or the democratic system of government Torontonians believe in.

Maybe John Tory should be trying buying votes at city council.

Does anyone know when the Ford/June McDonald COI case will be heard?
I wonder if Jude can chime in in case she still follows this thread.

On the topic of corrupt politicians, has everyone heard of R Budd Dwyer and seen his final press event? I can imagine Rob doing something like that if gun laws were looser.

Last edited:
Does it seem that Rob Ford considers that only the real wealthy should run government. If you can't afford to buy everyone in your staff lunch, out of your own pocket, you shouldn't run for political office.

From this article on

Hmmm... so the Fords see the people of Toronto as one step above serfs. Nothing new, from the tenacious twosome, their aristocratic behaviour is now in print.

Such beautiful benevolence, I could cry.
I think I'd rather eat out of supermarket disposal bins than accept any charity from those two clowns.

As Daniel Dale pointed out, a lot of people who voted for Rob and Doug generally don't go to the polls. Without a Fordian candidate in the race, they are very likely to stay at home.

Good. We're better off with them staying home during elections. We'd be even better if they stayed home 365 days a year.

From this article on

Wow. Is what they're doing even legal? Buying cookies for councillors is one thing, but any further than that seems like a potential conflict of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back