News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

No, 0% city funding. 2/3 province. City would never have let Metrolinx take over a project they were funding.

Must have confused it with Spadina then, my bad. I knew Sheppard was unique though in that it was the only TC project to not be 100% provincial funding.

An interesting approach. And fortunately we have $500 million growing on trees.

If there's a will, there's a way. People said there wasn't the political will to fund a 15 year, $8B transit master plan.

A good question ... it was supposed to be a study the TTC were to do after the original EA was finished, along with the option to the zoo. A branch down Brimely I'd think ... it would be interesting to know what came of those planned studies ... though if you've noticed the trend is to cut the projects to save money - not make them bigger!

That would have made the SELRT inifitely more useful than it is in its current state. If the original funding is the limit, I would have cut the extension east even further back and put it into extending a branch to STC. It may not be the Sheppard Subway, but at least it would make the line useful. Extending LRT out into suburban Never Never Land when there are plenty of more useful places it can be spent is not prudent planning.

But yes, if anyone could find those studies, I'd be interested in reading them, and interested to hear the rationale as to why they opted for an eastward extension instead of an STC extension. Something tells me the rationale isn't rock solid.

nfitz, my point was not that all the candidate's transit policy positions were out to lunch, my point is the fact we are debating the credibility of the transit plans shows we don't get it. These announcements are crafted to illicit emotional responses by teams of strategists crafting a brand around a given candidate. The feelings (if any) we have for a candidate are not really about the specific content of their platform, rather they are an intangeable gut feeling conjured from a series of emotional responses.

Rossi until recently was a political corpse. Now you probably think he's nuts. Why this is genius is that a feeling is better than no feeling. Rossi is now projecting himself into your consiousness and you are reacting. He is sending and you are receiving. The next stage is for him to get you to dislike him and hence oppose him. In negotiation they say "opposition is a buying signal". Once you oppose someone you give other people the permission to support them in opposition to what you represent. The final stage is for you to accept or live with the possibility or inevitablity of his winning. I'm speaking hypothetically of course, Rossi will not come close to winning.

So you think we should be examining the campaign, not based on the promises or the meaning, but more like some technical stock market technical analysis.

... this all seems too game-theoryish to me ...

Going off topic a bit, but I would argue that it isn't the transfer which is the main problem with the SRT, but how it is executed. Walking up 3 flights of stairs with little help from escalators is extremely tiring. To top it off, due to the lack of trains it is timed to depart the station just as you reach the platform unless you run like a crazy person. Compare this to the relatively painless transfer at St. George. This is why we don't hear west-enders demanding that the Bloor line loop south like it used to.

There are several other problems with the line, but I won't get into them here since it would only bring this discussion further off topic.

Rossi until recently was a political corpse. Now you probably think he's nuts. Why this is genius is that a feeling is better than no feeling. Rossi is now projecting himself into your consiousness and you are reacting. He is sending and you are receiving.

I don't think this is the case for people who were paying attention prior to labour day, and I would assume are most likely to vote and influence the voting of others. Rossi had already made an impression...it just sucked. He seemed both smug and inexperienced. Amicable and underhanded. He talked about numbers, but his own numbers were WAY off. If I were a Righty, I would only have seriously considered him as a less nauseating alternative to Ford.

As a Lefty who has some grasp of transportation networks, I obviously think this idea is asinine. Adding more traffic to one of the most congested road segments in the city...brilliant. But even pretending for one second I'm of a conservative mindset, I'd still think this retarded. Fictional me knows this will cost billions, and will be tolled (not enough to cover the cost), and will still make traffic worse and parking more expensive.

The only fantasy savior of this may be in somehow connecting it to Richmond/Adelaide rather than the Gardner, but that doesn't change the fact that endeavoring to store an extra 100k cars downtown every day is not productive, and the inevitable destruction required to get it build is unjustifiable. Let's just electrify and RER-ize some Go lines already!

How about this.. Close the Yonge line and upgrade it completely. Double it's capacity, make it ultra efficient.

Re-open the Yonge line and close the University line.

Pave the University line and make it a two lane express to the 400 and 401 interchange. Make it one way, flip-flopping with demand.

mangasparky, in recognition of a truly terrible idea that would make us all angrier and duller people, I award you this ceremonial 'stupid idea' plaque.

It is invisble so you'll have to pretend.

Are you passing that plaque along? Just because you don't agree doesn't make it stupid. You cannot tackle a a massive problem from one direction, every thought and idea is important.

I'm all for transit, I want our city to have a world class transit system. However, I would like to have the best of both worlds and not lean to either side of the subject.

I'm sure I have a few plaques myself, yes.

This whole "truth is in the middle" stuff is tiresome, because the truth is rarely there. Absolutely roads are critical infrastructure, especially as it comes to delivering goods and providing services. But fiscally, socially, and environmentally, when it comes to your average person needing to get around town, transit is better. It's better for governments and it's better for people.

The thing is that for less money than the cost of building Rossi's tunnel, we could get a heavy rail Downtown Relief Line, curving up all the way up to Eglinton in the west and east. With express and local trains, since Rossi's tunnels would require several pairs of tunnels. The ventilation will also be cheaper, since there will be no exhaust.

I'm sure I have a few plaques myself, yes.

This whole "truth is in the middle" stuff is tiresome, because the truth is rarely there. Absolutely roads are critical infrastructure, especially as it comes to delivering goods and providing services. But fiscally, socially, and environmentally, when it comes to your average person needing to get around town, transit is better. It's better for governments and it's better for people.

In fairness, I like his idea far more than Rocco's.

Why? A university-spadina expressway couldn't move nearly as many people as the subway currently does. Whats to like about reducing capacity into the core?

Back