News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Close the YUS, rip out the tracks, add monorail beams. Monorails are much more efficient than rail, and can transport 50,000pph easily.

Yonge-University Monorail!

Did you read my post? The part about double capacity and efficient?

Ok. There are so many things there that I want to rebuttle, but I'll stick to these.

1) That would require Yonge to be shut down for years, and I mean YEARS. It would be like literally rebuilding the subway from scratch. You would need to tear down buildings that front onto Yonge, because the cut and cover construction that was used isn't wide enough to accomodate 4-track. It would be cheaper digging an entirely new express subway down Bay or Church.

2) Subway tunnels and highway tunnels are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Literally, the only thing in common between the two is that they're a hole in the ground. Radius is different, ventilation requirements are different, access requirements are different. Again, it would probably cost more to convert than it would to just start from scratch somewhere else.

3) Maximum number of vehicles in a single lane of traffic per hour (regardless of speed): 1500. 2 lanes = 3000 vehicles per hour. Assuming an average of 2 occupants per vehicle (a VERY generous estimate, the average morning commute is about 1.3 people per vehicle), that gives you 6000 people per hour. A BRT can carry more than that. An LRT can carry more than that. And a subway can carry 6 TIMES that amount! Changing the University subway from subway to car would mean a reduction of 6x the amount of people! Even doubling the capacity of the Yonge line would still leave a deficit of 18,000 pphpd! That's like taking twice the number of people that use the Sheppard subway during rush hour, and telling them to f' off!

You wanted a rationale as to why you get the 'stupid idea' plaque, there it is!

Back