wyliepoon

Globe

Link to article

Russia calls on Canada to board Bering tunnel
Intercontinental train route under the strait to go through British Columbia

SHAWN MCCARTHY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

April 20, 2007 at 4:26 AM EST

OTTAWA — Russia's ambassador in Ottawa says a $60-billion (U.S.) proposal to build a rail tunnel under the Bering Strait is no pipedream, and that Canada needs to be part of the megaproject.

Ambassador Georgiy Mamedov said yesterday that the hugely ambitious project had its modern genesis in a high-level U.S.-Russian committee that was charged by former U.S. President Bill Clinton and former Russian President Boris Yeltsin to pursue increased transportation links between the two former Cold War rivals.

It was shelved after Russia experienced its financial meltdown in 1998, but Mr. Mamedov said the proponents now have the support of President Vladimir Putin to develop a firm proposal.

The ambassador, who was a senior Foreign Ministry official during the earlier discussions, said he is now optimistic that the Bering Strait tunnel will be built.

"We have the will, we have the money, and we have the capacity," he said.

"But we need Canada aboard" because the intercontinental train route would go through British Columbia.

Proponents of the project held a press briefing in Moscow this week, ahead of a conference next week that will be attended by supporters from Alaska, as well as Russian officials.

Mr. Mamedov said the rail link would provide commercial freight deliveries from Asian markets to North America, and back again.

It could include energy pipelines that would feed Russian oil and/or natural gas into U.S. markets, but the Russians are already committed to build pipelines to China and are constructing liquefied natural gas facilities in the eastern Arctic to ship natural gas to international markets.

At a bilateral meeting last month, Canada and Russia formed a special transportation group to examine various proposals for increased linkages, including air connections between Winnipeg and Krasnoyarsk, and a polar sea route from Murmansk to Churchill, Man.

The ambassador said he expected Mr. Putin and Prime Minister Stephen Harper to touch on the Bering Strait project at the Group of Eight summit in Heiligendamm, Germany, in June.

Canadian officials say they are aware of the proposed megaproject and will study it when Russia produces a more detailed proposal.

But one senior official said yesterday that it is not certain that Mr. Harper will have a bilateral meeting with Mr. Putin at the Group of Eight major industrialized countries, and that it is "premature to speculate" on the topics they will cover if they do meet.

The Bering tunnel project would take up to 15 years to build, and includes roughly 6,000 kilometres of transportation links over some of the most difficult terrain in the world.

Russian officials will co-ordinate the project with the U.S. and Canadian governments, TKM-World Link, which groups companies involved in the development, said in a statement released this week in Moscow.

OAO Russian Railways, national utility OAO Unified Energy System and pipeline operator OAO Transneft are among the companies that were named as participating in the project, although an official at Transneft denied involvement.

Imagine the impact such a rail link would have on competition if one railway company was the owner of the rail link. If the cost is $60B, dividing that cost over a number of years that is quite affordable to a rail company which is already making $2B in profit each year. The rail company that builds it would own the market. The issue is that there is no competition in Russia's railway sector so all the North American companies would need to pass off everything to the Russian railway at the border. Not having control over the outcome of the investment means this tunnel project will probably need to be built by Russia. If they build the tunnel then I can see North American railway companies building lines up into Alaska.

from WIKI:

America uses American standard gauge (4 feet, 8.5 inches wide) rails, while Russia uses Russian broad gauge (5 feet wide) tracks, and this will have to be addressed. A dual-gauge track network has been proposed, as those are used in some areas of Australia, whose rail network is split into different gauges.

not good.

I believe the tunnel is more to do with oil/gas and the rail component is secondary, and it could be extended down to the Middle East (with a delivery charge of course).

If it can be privately financed, that is good, but it is highly risky. As far as relying on Russia, I do not feel comfortable doing that right now, especially with the cuts in supply into europe the last two years (I get the feeling that they would use the supply as a weapon). We should be trying to move away from our reliance on energy/resources from unreliable sources (middle east, Russia, Venezula, etc. - different countries - different reasons). I believe that we (europe and G7) should be creating a energy "marshal plan" for researching / diversifying critical resources.

Slice open Boris Yeltsin's corpse, and there's probably enough pickled methane to blast a hole straight across the Bering

from WIKI:

America uses American standard gauge (4 feet, 8.5 inches wide) rails, while Russia uses Russian broad gauge (5 feet wide) tracks, and this will have to be addressed. A dual-gauge track network has been proposed, as those are used in some areas of Australia, whose rail network is split into different gauges.

not good.
Britain is developing train axles that can change gauges when needed. For details see http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2006/08/gauge_change_technology_hopes.html#more . Basically, when the train reaches North America, it would change gauges.

Of course, who is going to take this train? Even at bullet train speeds of 200 kph or more, it would take days to travel from New York to Moscow, with few stations in between Calgary/Edmonton and western Russia.

Japan already has technology to allow their trains to change gauge without stopping.
I don't think the main purpose of the tunnel and rail line would be for passenger trains. It would primarily be a faster way to ship containers and natural resources between East Asia and North America, as well as a way to open up northeastern Siberia.

the whole point seems to be to allow Russia to ship raw resources to the US faster and cheaper - which to me appears to be directly in contrast with Canada's best interests since selling raw resources to the US is our job. I don't see Russia clamoring to buy our resources and I can't imagine that it will make it faster to ship Canadian goods to Japan, South Korea or China than by sea.

Am I missing something here? What's our incentive to sign on and invest money in this? If anything, we should be charging a fee for allowing any shipments to go through our territory.

isn't there a serious rift developing between russia & the U.S right now?

The shortest path between North America and Japan is via Alaska anyway.

800px-Greatcircle_Jetstream_routes.svg.png

That's why Canada's building a new container port in Prince Rupert where goods will be transferred to rail and shipped across NA. Doing so will chop days (?) off of shipment travel times.

Yes, I know the route is shorter and faster, but enough to justify spending $60 billion? I'm sure some companies would pay vast amounts to have their stuff get where it needs to be even a little bit quicker. Even if the Russians are able to pay for it, the cost will be passed on to the stuff being transported...I just don't see companies lining up to foot the bill for a tunnel that gets loads of ore or plastic toys across the world in 8 days instead of 2 weeks, or whatever.

I just don't see companies lining up to foot the bill for a tunnel that gets loads of ore or plastic toys across the world in 8 days instead of 2 weeks, or whatever.

gat dammit i wan't my chinpokomon now!

must collect them all to complete the primary objective!

Back