News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Great shots, flar.

At least Ontario sprawl has some colour and, um, variety, compared to Calisprawl:

60188926.P4240098.jpg

I wanted to know how my friend's subdivision in San Ramon (Bay Area) looked from above, so I hopped a fence and climbed to the top of a hill. It was surreal; it looked like an African refugee camp, even though the $800k (then) houses were probably filled with young professionals.

You’ll notice new suburban housing development (in Hamilton we call that subdivisions) in Hamilton tend to have neo-Victorian design.

Why do people like living in an alleyway of garages? It looks like most of the front of the "homes" are garages! Instead of grass, most of the front yard is pavement. Where do you shovel the snow? Where is the front veranda?
f2720960.jpg

At least in the pre-1950 homes of Toronto, one can sit on the front porch drinking beer, in the shade of your tree, watching the people walk by. The alleyway in back is for the garages and their cars, where they belong.

00159.jpg

"I'm gonna get me a NICE house, with BIG-GGG windows!! They're gonna be OVERSIZE windows. It's gonna look like a CHATEAU inside!!!! I'm gonna get me a BIG ASS cool truck!!!. It's BLACK, with TINT!!!! Fack man, ... it's the DARTH VADER of trucks!! It's gonna TOWER over the other vehicles!!! I will LOOK SO COOL getting out of it and strolling through the Air Canada Centre parking lot to see a Leaf game. I'm wearin' my official Leafs jacket man; it's got the felt body and white LEATHER sleeves; FEEL IT man; I'm LOOKING GREAT in this jacket!!! I'm guessing that DARCY TUCKER probably owns a truck and jacket JUST LIKE MINE!!! The Friendly Divorcee across the street from my chateau will dig this truck!! She's always smilin' at me. I KNOW it's the WHEELS, man!! If I could loose 80 pounds and firm up a bit I bet I could stand a chance with her; know what I mean; but the job at Mississauga Tool and Die has just been crazy and I haven't had time to work out; know what I mean, and I got to put in overtime to pay for this house, ya' know?? BUT, FACK MAN!!! I have ARRIVED!! I am LIVING THE UPPER MIDDLE CLASS LIFE!!!!:)

Brilliant reply, Ganjavih.

I know this scene. It's in Stoney Creek, just south of the QEW. There's more the appearance of a American SouthWest style gated community because of the noise barrier.

Most of Mississauga is like this!

:D

You call that little thing a house? THIS is a real man's house....

Attachments

• suburbia.jpg
    suburbia.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 313
00159.jpg

"I'm gonna get me a NICE house, with BIG-GGG windows!! They're gonna be OVERSIZE windows. It's gonna look like a CHATEAU inside!!!! I'm gonna get me a BIG ASS cool truck!!!. It's BLACK, with TINT!!!! Fack man, ... it's the DARTH VADER of trucks!! It's gonna TOWER over the other vehicles!!! I will LOOK SO COOL getting out of it and strolling through the Air Canada Centre parking lot to see a Leaf game. I'm wearin' my official Leafs jacket man; it's got the felt body and white LEATHER sleeves; FEEL IT man; I'm LOOKING GREAT in this jacket!!! I'm guessing that DARCY TUCKER probably owns a truck and jacket JUST LIKE MINE!!! The Friendly Divorcee across the street from my chateau will dig this truck!! She's always smilin' at me. I KNOW it's the WHEELS, man!! If I could loose 80 pounds and firm up a bit I bet I could stand a chance with her; know what I mean; but the job at Mississauga Tool and Die has just been crazy and I haven't had time to work out; know what I mean, and I got to put in overtime to pay for this house, ya' know?? BUT, FACK MAN!!! I have ARRIVED!! I am LIVING THE UPPER MIDDLE CLASS LIFE!!!!:)

Bravo!

Do you think I would make a hole in that stucco if I kicked it :D

SeanTrans correctly identified the location of that noise barrier. That's the only way out of that subdivision, it exits onto the service road. You seriously couldn't even walk to a convenience store, let alone a school or a park. The other shots are from Hamilton Mountain, Ancaster (Meadowlands), Upper Stoney Creek and Dundas. There's more big box and new home construction now than I recall in the 5 years I've been in Hamilton. So much for the greenbelt.

A convenience store should be convenient, within walking distance of the homes not driving to it. A store should be at this corner, instead of that Checkpoint Charlie and Berlin Wall.
They force them into a mall, where there is a supermarket, which just duplicates what they have.

The other shots are from Hamilton Mountain, Ancaster (Meadowlands), Upper Stoney Creek and Dundas. There's more big box and new home construction now than I recall in the 5 years I've been in Hamilton. So much for the greenbelt.

I find that new housing developments on the Hamilton Mountain are slowing down. You can't build houses beyond Twenty Road and already there's houses being built right up to Twenty Road. Most of the housing developments are taking place in gaps that was never filled in the past, like Garth St and Rymal. Upper Stoney Creek though, that place is exploding with new houses.

I never did understand why they put 'windows' in this sound barrier since all that is visible is the QEW. Why would a homeowner wish for people on the highway to look directly into their bedroom window?

I never did understand why they put 'windows' in this sound barrier since all that is visible is the QEW. Why would a homeowner wish for people on the highway to look directly into their bedroom window?

The theory is that it allows light through. That way the poor sods that have The Wall in their backyards are not in perpetual darkness.

Brilliant! Flar, you have my vote for best post of 2008 thus far.

I love these 2 shots. At first, I had thought that you had included the same photo twice until I compared them again. Certainly strengthens the perspective of the massive sameness.

00056.jpg

00142.jpg

Back