News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am a little too familiar with the suburban life.... seeing as.. I've lived in Thornhill my entire life.... (i'm one of those angsty suburban teens) and I have done everything within my power to get OUT of the suburbs as often as possible!

here are some photos from around my neighbourhood... (well.. houses... all so tacky, and with no history...)

2539002167_c24bf026dd_o.jpg

2539002101_219c64f0b7_o.jpg

2539824864_d1072b00ae_o.jpg

2539824798_2d42cf4ec7_o.jpg

2539001925_26d998b19e_o.jpg

2539824682_52241e347a_o.jpg

2539824636_e151455304_o.jpg

2539824560_0acf6a9035_o.jpg

2539824504_d2b7a7ec78_o.jpg

I think one of the huge problems with the suburbs (ONE of..) is the lack of mature trees, and the 4-lane wide streets... no one realized how much of a difference it makes to a neighbourhood to have big beautiful mature trees, (ala; Lawrence Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill)

our streets dont even have sidewalks.... ugh.

here are some photos from around my neighbourhood... (well.. houses... all so tacky, and with no history...)

2539824864_d1072b00ae_o.jpg

Of the lot, at least that one borders on "tastefulesque" as a "Prairie Moderne" cop. (Or a modern version of a lot of that 50s-type stuff in hyper-Jewish NW Forest Hill.)

Reinventing suburbia

From the Toronto Star of May 31:

http://www.thestar.com/article/434427

An ambitious provincial strategy is forcing the 905 to remake itself. Will developers and residents let it happen?
May 31, 2008 04:30 AM
Phinjo Gombu
Urban Affairs reporter

3c4504c24c89ac15adc1f3c1c5d5.jpeg

European-style piazzas for after-work mingling, towering office and residential towers stacked behind tightly packed street-friendly low-rise buildings, thousands of people streaming out of subways or headed home via a network of bicycle paths.

It's not downtown Toronto, or Manhattan or Paris, but how parts of suburban GTA communities such as Vaughan, Richmond Hill and Markham could look in 25 years.

The result of a sea change in planning principles and policies that promotes density instead of sprawl, the visioning exercise underway across the GTA is nothing less than the re-imagining of suburbia.

Propelling the change is a dawning realization that planners got it wrong the first time, yet change, after more than 50 years of unparalleled suburban growth in and around Toronto, doesn't come easy.

In some cities residents are already pushing back, fearful that the quiet suburban life they bought into will be swept aside. And developers – eager to recoup their investments now, not later – could try to move ahead with their own ad hoc plans.

Driving the change is the province's Places to Grow Act, an award-winning work-in-progress that aims to manage expansion and curtail sprawl by focusing growth in urban centres. Municipalities have to show how they'll conform by June 2009.

So, what's out?

Sprawling surface parking lots; city centres anchored by shopping malls; and an endless sea of detached homes on large lots.

And what's in?

Downtown hubs fed by public transit; densely populated communities along major roads; and buildings that have little or no setback from the street.

Valerie Shuttleworth, Markham's ebullient director of planning and urban design, sums up a recurring theme among many planners and politicians.

The goal, she says, is a "six- to eight- to 10-storey European urban centre where the pedestrian takes (precedence) over the vehicle and transit is key."

"That's the evolution of growth in the GTA," says Shuttleworth.

"That's the evolution Markham is going through right now, from a suburban bedroom community into an urban municipality.

"It's painful, but because we got to learn so much from Scarborough and North York when they went through it 20, 30 or 40 years ago, we hope we are going to manage it in a way that is more comfortable and acceptable to our residents."

Here's what's being planned:

A subway is coming to the 905 region for the first time, with plans to extend the TTC line into Vaughan. With it comes the possibility of realizing a decade-old plan – which planners are re-focusing because it is out of date – on what's now mostly vacant land. It could house 20,000 residents and 16,000 jobs within 500 metres of the line's final stop at Highway 7.

Richmond Hill has plans to build a GTA-wide transportation hub near Highway 7 and Yonge St. that could connect the Yonge subway line, GO Transit and Viva local and express bus services.

Markham, whose long-range plan is the most advanced, has already begun constructing its long-awaited downtown (east and west of Warden Ave. off Highway 7), which will house more than 35,000 people.

In Mississauga, re-imagination projects are under way in Lakeview and at Mississauga's Square One, where planners dream of rapid transit along Hurontario St. down to the lake.

In North Pickering, local officials are salivating at the impending development of the Seaton Lands, future home to 70,000, already billed as Canada's first planned, environmentally sustainable community.

The province has encouraged this movement by shielding land from future development with the Places to Grow Act and the Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan, and by protecting a swathe of green space – the so-called Greenbelt – around the Golden Horseshoe.

Nowhere is the impact more apparent than in York Region, which, like many other regions, will see its population double within 25 years.

Almost 70 per cent of it is now protected from development. With 25 per cent already developed, just 6 per cent of the region's land is available for future development.

Planners have a name for that limited space: Whitebelt.

But the province says it can only be used after intensification targets are met within existing built-up areas.

In essence, the province is outlining targets for where and how much development will be allowed across the GTA until 2031.

And to make sure it happens, Queen's Park has issued an anti-sprawl directive stating that at least 40 per cent of all new growth must occur within the so-called urban boundary – the line at which buildings stood two years ago.

In Markham, where a vision for a more urbanized downtown emerged as far back as the early '90s, the provincial moves have helped to protect about 250 hectares of land that otherwise would have been filled with "singles, semis and townhouses" but was kept intact long enough to allow for the more compact, managed community that is now underway.

It's a bit different in Vaughan, where the city also managed, through zoning, to protect a key piece of vacant land, near Highway 400 and Highway 7 – despite the encroachment of big box retail at the edges of the proposed corporate centre.

The now real possibility that the subway would eventually be extended there has allowed Vaughan to revisit a decade-old plan for the city centre.

Markham wants low but dense cities and has planned its city centre on a field off Highway 7.

Vaughan, which has done away with height restrictions, plans to use the same long thoroughfare as its anchor, a sort of Bloor St. north.

An artist's conception includes a TTC subway stop in a landscape packed with pedestrians and "higher order transit" – that is, light rail – along the main street.

The question these days is no longer whether developers will buy into intensification, but whether they can be restrained from pushing forward ad hoc plans for towers that don't conform to the municipal vision.

In Markham, experience has shown that with the right incentives and market conditions, developers can be convinced to conform to a planner's ideas.

Yet the town is still faced with a proposal for a 29-storey building smack in the middle of what is supposed to become a more modestly scaled city centre.

Maverick developers are a challenge, acknowledges Alan Shefman, a Vaughan councillor who sits on a committee of landowners, politicians and citizens charged with coming up with a similar vision for his city's centre.

"We don't want to end up with an OMB fight," he says. "We want to develop. There will be some compromises."

One thing Vaughan's corporate centre won't be, Shefman vows, is another Scarborough Town Centre or Mississauga City Centre, both anchored by massive shopping malls and giant surface parking lots.

Vaughan's decision this month to quietly approve the first phase of the Royal Empress Development, which had plans before the OMB for towers 14 to 34 storeys high to house about 4,000 people, is the sign of a tall-tower rush yet to come.

Prominent developer Silvio DeGasperis, who has significant land interests in the proposed Vaughan downtown, says it is doable and the market – fuelled by the subway – will accommodate such growth.

But he warns that the municipal trend of raising development levies could make these developments unaffordable.

The biggest and loudest battles, however, are likely to be with residents who think intensification is a great idea – somewhere else.

In Vaughan, hundreds of residents have demonstrated on the streets and jammed council chambers to protest a proposed 17-storey tower at a strip mall at Highway 7 and Kipling Ave., saying it doesn't fit with the neighbourhood.

They got a stern lecture from York Region councillor Joyce Frustaglio and other politicians, who pronounced that intensification was here to stay, given the provincial mandate and the billions being poured into public transit.

But Woodbridge residents say the fight isn't over and such intensification isn't appropriate near where they live.

"None of them campaigned that they were going to turn Woodbridge into a concrete jungle," said a fiery Nick Pinto, a failed council candidate who has led the residents' charge.

"We are going to push back as long as it takes," he told the Star. "That's just the tip of the iceberg ... We are not going to be pushed over by anybody."

But whether they like it or not, these residents are likely to see at least a 10-storey building go up. Planning commissioner John Zipay told residents recently it was the new reality. The region and province want it, and the municipality has little choice but to go along.

Similar dissent is rising in Bolton, where local councillor Jason Payne told a packed meeting recently: "I'm not for intensification, I never have been, never will be.

"I don't believe we can squeeze in any more houses (in Bolton)," he continued, oblivious to the provincial directives.

People love their suburbia. From the Hamilton Spectator:

Want comfort, speed? Choose a car

Frank Gue
Burlington
The Hamilton Spectator

(May 29, 2008)

Re: 'The challenge of true rapid transit; elevated rails would increase speed and encourage ridership' (Opinion, May 26)

This article proposes "... elevated rapid transit ... as a solution for mid-sized cities like Hamilton (and presumably Burlington and similar cities)."

This is an excellent solution for the small percentage of citizens who live within easy walking distance of a transit stop. The rest of us will not adjust our schedules to suit infrequent transit stops, battle for blocks through blizzards, and hop over slush puddles, for the privilege of waiting in a cold "shelter" for a service that may or may not be on time -- particularly if we are among the increasing number of citizens of advanced age.

Big vehicles on fixed routes and schedules is a solution for the 1930s.
It cannot compete with the private auto for comfort, flexibility, door-to-door convenience and speed.

Small-lot service (one passenger) can compete on these grounds. Many such alternatives exist, some in use in places as far flung as Vancouver, Rotterdam and even Cuba.

One tantalizing statistic is that the cost per paying passenger on the Burlington public transit system is very close to the cost of taxi fare for a typical Burlington shopping trip.

This should cause us to ask a lot of questions about the common assumptions we make regarding "public transit." Should we redefine the job as: move any individual citizen safely, quickly, door-to-door, on demand?

http://www.thespec.com/printArticle/376857

Great photos, tho'. Older subrubs are cooler....those mid-century ranchers and split-levels are now all the rage. It is a shame when they get renovated to look like a house of today. Why can't people appreciate the greatness that is fieldstone.?

Actually, it's the mid-century Modern split level ranch houses that are of their time - the McMansion reno's to them are often nostalgia-based throwbacks to pre-industrial Versailles and are hardly houses of "today".

If everyone's doing it, then it is a reflection of our times, no matter how tasteless the cheap stucco McMansions and monster homes are that are replacing homes built in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.

A sad reflection perhaps, but a reflection of our times none-the-less, and therefore "houses of today".

Well of course not everyone's doing it, and what defines each age qualitatively is what the best talents are doing - now, as with some of those Modernist bungalows from the '50s. What today's Mcmansion builders are doing is irrelevant as contemporary design; it won't be celebrated in the future, nor does it win critical acclaim today, so for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

You might not be in Toronto or even Hamilton, but you're in one of the best places to be outside of those cities. At least you didn't have to grow up in a hamlet of 200 people where you literally need a car to get anywhere.

Once again, amen, brotha. If we're playing the "you should consider yourself lucky" game, I suppose I should show my hand.

This is where I grew up:
000_0048.JPG

My house was built by my father on a lot severed in 1979 from farmer's fields. He fully admits that he wouldn't have done it knowing what he knows now about sprawl, but he has no intention of moving. It's in Russell Township, the kind that is close enough to a metropolis to house it's commuters, but without the confidence to refuse development, such as this, that will be unequivocally bad.There's no plot of farmland in the township that goes untouched by these severances. No regard was given to wildlife or the cost of paving dozens of kilometres of farm road to serve dozens of people. And I need to make this clear - my father had no reason to live where he did; he didn't farm, or do anything that needed space - it was originally just a cheap plot of land close to the city. And that goes for most people along our road.
But anyway, enough about severances. My experience in particular with one was less than stellar. The particular severance that I grew up on is about a half hour drive from downtown Ottawa (which is quite low as far as severances go) and about a five minute drive from Russell, the nearest town. My father's closest family was in Ottawa. My mom grew up in Russell too, so her family was around. But she was one of the youngest and she gave birth later than her siblings, so there was no one around my age to play with. We certainly did not spend time with other people on our street - there was no sense of neighbourhood. Infact they were seen as strange and bizarre (not without reason). To be honest, it takes a special type of person to move out onto a severance, someone that is less interested in community than in solitude.
Anyway, so without a neighbourhood or any family my age, or siblings, my friends exclusively came from school. And that meant that most of them lived in the town of Russell proper. There were a couple that lived in a subdivision near my house, but that was still a half hour walk away, something my parents didn't want me doing on the long, straight, rural roads. Russell was, for most of my childhood, also off limits. The day they started letting me bike places was fantastic, but not an option in the winter.

As I grew older, I gained some independence, mostly by bike, but that still didn't take me to Ottawa, to which there were no transit links short of a weekday rush hour bus, which wasn't an option. My high school was about a 40 minute drive deep into the country, and I only ever biked there once, on the last day of school. If I wanted to do extracurriculars, I needed a friend with a car, or parents that didn't have anything to do. Most of my friends at that point were from parts of the country closer to the high school or even on the other side (once spent more than an hour going to a friends place).

My parents generally obliged if I asked them to drive me somewhere, but everyone has their limits.By the time I was able to get my G2, I was almost in university, which, suffice to say, changed my life.

Anyway, it truly takes a village to raise a child. And I didn't have one. Even those living in sprawl had neighbours.

Well of course not everyone's doing it, and what defines each age qualitatively is what the best talents are doing

Is it really defined by what the best talents are doing or by what style predominates?

I'm inclined to agree with seantrans. Cheap, cheesy stucco McMansions define our time with repect to the design of detached homes. It's a sad statement, really, on the state of contemporary architecture.

Well, "qualitatively" and "the best talents" go hand in hand, and a heavily-marketed style like Cheddingtonista can't intervene between the two since it isn't a product of the culture of design. Plucking styles from the past ( PoMo tried, briefly, to come between us and our strong Modernist roots but gained little purchase locally ) may create a predominant style ... but so what?

It's interesting to listen to you chaps pine for a reverse-neutron bomb... one that would destroy all the buildings but leave the people. ...Uh, or would it? To listen to some of you, I'm not so sure...

I'm tickled by these musings about how places built in the last generation or so have "no history" (what DOES when it's just been built?), or how places 50 years older have bigger trees, somehow, than the new subdivisions. Watching real-life examples of Pythonesque people out-snobbing one another to the point of ignorance is fun, but come on, folks, get off your high horses. This is the zeitgeist of the age, and it will pass. But I guarantee you, when it does, there'll be myriad people waxing eloquent for the "good old days" of suburbia, like everything else disdained and all-too-familiar when it finally goes by the boards.

Back