8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Lieberry pro vs. con

0f85dff94db3984d8271bca1201c.jpeg

Doug Ford and Pierre Elliott Trudeau

“T-pals, UnBLeevAbul! I just met D. Ford! At a NotTimmies Arts Party! (He knows what I look like now! :D) Sez #libraries will not be cut! :D

Given our high taxes, I wouldn't mind a little irrationality once in a while. ;-)
Toronto's taxes are lower than the surrounding municipalities.

I'm talking all taxes on all things, including double taxation taxes on taxes and taxes disguised as fees, and the more you dig the more you see. I'm sick of it, and given Ford's message and landslide election, I can't be alone. That I'm supposedly paying a slightly less municipal tax rate than other municipalities doesn't mean I'm not paying high taxes and it's hunky-dory. :mad:

I've been an accountant forever and I do taxes for others. And, you know what? We pay a lot of taxes. People sometimes yell at me when I tell them how much taxes they owe. I've volunteered at free ICAO tax clinics, and these folks I'm helping pro bono yell at me too. And, you know what? They're right! My response? I tell them they're preaching to the choir! :rolleyes:

Isn't TPL's subscription, if it's called that, increasing? If it is, then how do you explain this Mr Beez, considering this tablet internet and IT stuff has been around for quite some time now.
Well, my usage of the Library has been increasing exponentially for years now, but I haven't been inside a Library for ages. I use the TPL for on-line books and audio books - and I imagine this is the case for much of their increased subscription. The TPL does great work, and I love using their online services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/books/amazons-kindle-to-make-library-e-books-available.html

Agree 100% with Admiral Beez and reflects my experience as well. The above is an article describing the current trend about libraries (in the US, Canada will follow suit). e-Books are going to explode and libraries are already on the bandwagon.

With an e-Reader, you can have access to books from tens of thousands of libraries instead of list your local branch. A little netbook is able to access more information all over the world than any local library system can imagine in their wildest dreams. Welcome to the 21st Century where classic bricks and mortar libraries will become museums in the not too distant future.

I'm talking all taxes on all things, including double taxation taxes on taxes and taxes disguised as fees, and the more you dig the more you see. I'm sick of it, and given Ford's message and landslide election, I can't be alone. That I'm supposedly paying a slightly less municipal tax rate than other municipalities doesn't mean I'm not paying high taxes and it's hunky-dory. :mad:

I've been an accountant forever and I do taxes for others. And, you know what? We pay a lot of taxes. People sometimes yell at me when I tell them how much taxes they owe. I've volunteered at free ICAO tax clinics, and these folks I'm helping pro bono yell at me too. And, you know what? They're right! My response? I tell them they're preaching to the choir! :rolleyes:

47% isn't a landslide, it's not even a majority. Hell it's not even as big as the wins that Ford himself has witnessed in his time as a councillor.

If I'm not mistaken, both Lastman and Miller have both won much more of the vote than Ford did.

47% isn't a landslide, it's not even a majority. Hell it's not even as big as the wins that Ford himself has witnessed in his time as a councillor.

If I'm not mistaken, both Lastman and Miller have both won much more of the vote than Ford did.
That was when they were both incumbents.

In the first post-amalgamation election, Lastman received 387,848 votes in '97 (compared to Barbara Hall's 346,452), and 483,277 (80%) in '00 without a serious challenger opposing him.

Miller got 299,385/43.26% in '03 (to John Tory's 263,189/38.03%), and 332,969/56.97% in '06 (to Jane Pitfield's 188,932/32.32%).

In a mayoral race with three viable candidates and no incumbent, like it or not, 47% is a landslide.

Let round 2 begin!

Toronto library services face cutbacks

Say goodbye to leisurely Sunday visits to the library.

The Toronto Public Library staff is proposing to discontinue Sunday service in at least eight neighbourhood branches, among other measures, in an effort to reduce its operating budget by 10 per cent as demanded by Mayor Rob Ford.

It’s also proposing reducing hundreds of weekday hours at many other branches. These recommendations were made public Thursday.

“Sunday and morning services are drastic cuts and will negatively impact us,” said Ward 27 Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam. “It’s a strategic step backwards for the city.”

Closing libraries was suggested by consultant KPMG some months ago. Ford backed down after an unprecedented public outcry led by Canadian author Margaret Atwood. But the mayor left the door open to a reduction in operating hours and other cuts.

Now the cuts are here:

•An almost 30 per cent reduction in the number of hours that neighbourhood branches will be open on Sundays.

•At least 25 neighbourhood branches losing some morning service from Monday to Saturday.

•Nearly 20,000 fewer open hours from Monday to Saturday.

•Two research and reference libraries will lose two mornings each.

•A reduced acquisition budget, meaning more than 106,000 library items won’t now be bought.

These proposed cuts will save about $7.3 million annually.

“I won’t be supporting any cuts to the libraries,” said an angry Ward 30 Councillor Paula Fletcher. “And I hope other councillors will also think of it as a core service.”

She pointed out that by cutting service “we are limiting access of citizens, especially for youth who go there and do their homework or access the internet. People in my ward are going to be angry.”

Fletcher and Wong-Tam, both left-leaning councillors, said that hundreds of Torontonians were clear at the recent executive meetings that they wouldn’t tolerate any cuts to the libraries.

“There has never been an uprising like that,” said Fletcher. “I guess they (library staff) didn’t hear what people said.”

Wong-Tam raised the question of growing lineups for books, computers and other reference material at some branches if specific libraries will be closed on Sundays.

“People will have to travel further and wait longer for what they need at their libraries,” she said, adding that Toronto is adding about 100,000 people to its population annually “but city services are not growing at the same pace.”

These recommendations will now go to the library board, then the city’s budget committee and then council in January.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1069630--toronto-library-services-face-cutbacks

Library sees boom in e-book use — and print, too

It looks like e-books are easy reading.

The Toronto Public Library is reporting that digital downloads from its site will hit 500,000 this year, double the number from 2010 and more than 10 times what they were in 2007.

“This is a huge jump,” said Anne Marie Aikins, the library’s manager of community relations. “And incidentally, book borrowing is increasing slightly as well, so the book isn’t dead. That's for sure.” The library had its busiest year in 2010, with 18 million visits and 32 million items circulated.

But the library may have to limit additions to its digital and print collections this year, as it searches for ways to cut the mandated 10 per cent — or $17 million — from its 2011 operating budget to reduce the city’s deficit.

The recommended staff cuts will be released Thursday afternoon in advance of Monday’s library board meeting. Although Aikins wouldn’t say what the recommendations involved, she did say closing library branches isn’t one of them.

Seventy-five per cent of the library’s operating budget goes toward paying staff. The remaining 25 per cent covers new purchases and maintaining and operating buildings.

Staff have already identified about $4 million in savings by reorganizing the way books are circulated throughout the system and automating check-out service, which it has already completed in 40 branches throughout the city.

“In general, our focus was to try and leave customer service intact but look at where technology could help us,” says City Librarian Jane Pyper. Staff were also offered a voluntary separation package.

The library currently spends a small percentage of its acquisition budget on e-books, which only really took off about four years ago when Kindle released its first e-reader. But demand has been “skyrocketing,” says Pyper.

Currently, borrowers can download material using devices such as the Kobo and Sony readers and the iPad and iPhone. But one of the most popular readers, the Kindle, isn’t on the list because of an exclusive deal with Amazon.

However, just last month it was announced in the U.S. that public libraries and schools can now lend e-books for the Amazon Kindle through OverDrive, the same company that distributes e-books for the Toronto Public Library.

Pyper says the challenge for Toronto branches is maintaining a collection that has the depth to meet the economic and linguistic diversity across the city. That means providing e-books and printed books, but also providing free access to magazines such as The New Yorker and National Geographic, and free Internet access and wi-fi.

“I think (e-books) will be a very important part of our future, a big growth area,” says Pyper. But “there are many people for whom e-books aren’t a reality, who have other language needs or are adult learners with low literacy levels. The wonderful thing about our collection is it speaks to all those interests across the city.”

LIBRARY GROWTH

Total circulation

2007: 28.9 million

2010: 32.3 million

E-downloads

(includes digital books, audio books and reference material)

2007: 39,001

2010: 257,715

Visits

2007: 16.3 million

2010: 18.3 million
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1068653--library-sees-boom-in-e-book-use-and-print-too

Last edited:
Remember how those new board members were selected for allegiance over experience?

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...will-reject-radical-cuts-vice-chair-says?bn=1

Library board will reject radical cuts, vice-chair says

The vice-chair of the library board says the board will reject the most controversial of the cost-cutting and money-making ideas contained in a new report from the city’s chief librarian.

In the report, city librarian Jane Pyper assesses more than 20 suggestions sent to her from individual board members. Many of them are eyebrow-raising. They include closing the North York reference branch and the Yorkville branch, selling library properties, selling advertising, eliminating all computers and reducing the size of branches.

Vice-chair Mike Foderick said more than half of the suggestions were sent to Pyper by one civilian board member whose “very strong views” differ from those of the other 12 members.

“The vast majority of these suggestions will never see the light of day,” Foderick said.

Benjie Wulffhart, another of the eight civilian members appointed in September, also said the “extreme” suggestions, such as branch closures, came from a lone civilian.

Foderick said the rest of the board is opposed to closing any branches, as is city council. The North York reference library was by far the highest-circulation branch in 2010, and Pyper advised the board to dismiss the idea of shutting it down.

The sale of branch naming rights is among the other suggestions. Pyper said the library’s foundation has already tried, unsuccessfully, to entice potential major donors to sign deals on naming rights. But she notes that there is “considerable debate about the naming of public assets.”

Additional suggestions include charging for parking at some branches, charging more to rent out meeting rooms, introducing fines for items placed on hold but not picked up, further increasing fines for late returns, and reviewing library programs.

Mayor Rob Ford has demanded a 10 per cent budget cut from all city entities, though he made an exception for the police. The library board approved a 5.7 per cent cut on Oct. 17. It would need to find an additional $7.3 million to meet the target.

Pyper told the board that most of the needed savings could be achieved by closing eight branches on Sundays and reducing operating hours at 59 locations. The board voted to seek an alternative solution.

It remains unclear, however, if such an alternative can be found. Pyper said that the board members’ suggestions were unlikely to make a significant budget impact in 2012.

Foderick said the board is “still chasing a number of different possibilities.” Its budget committee meets Tuesday.

The board, chaired by Councillor Paul Ainslie, a Ford ally, includes five councillors and the eight civilians. The previous board, whose civilian members were appointed under former mayor David Miller, repeatedly defied Ford’s demand for cuts during the 2011 budget process earlier this year.

Councillor Janet Davis, a left-leaning board member, urged the new board to defy Ford’s 10 per cent directive and reject the Sunday closures and reductions in opening hours, noting that the police were permitted a budget increase. She also criticized the board members’ suggestions to Pyper.

“They’re new. They want to make a contribution. Clearly, their lack of experience is demonstrated in these suggestions,” Davis said.

New library board proposes shutting 38 branches

Just when library closures appeared to be off the table, they’re back on again.

Cost-trimming suggestions from individual members of the newly appointed Toronto Public Library Board include the idea of shuttering 38 of Toronto’s 98 branches, selling or redeveloping surplus land, selling the historic Yorkville branch and reducing the size of some other branches.

But the proposals don’t end with property issues. Others among the 23 ideas put forth verge on the bizarre, such as eliminating computers in libraries and warehousing book collections.

“It’s outrageous, just outrageous,” said board vice-chair Mike Foderick, who added that the majority of the ideas originated with one director, but would not reveal who. “These ideas are totally against what the citizens of Toronto want.”

More.............http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...proposes-shutting-38-branches/article2218240/

Having gone through the nationally publicized ordeal the first time, what are the odds that these wild new ideas have a chance? Maybe the Ford administration is going the "shock doctrine" route, which would be quite dangerous if citizens aren't mindful of it. We better not see any disasters in the city, at which point people would be still reeling in shock as dozens of libraries would be sold off in rapid succession. Shocks can also be contrived, such as a budget meltdown and subsequent wave of privatization and handouts to the private sector, targeting every union and leftist in sight. The least we can do is be suspicious and cognizant of such potential moves, especially given the fact that Naomi Klein is Canadian.

Since there is a significant increase in the growth of such a core service, the logical thing to do is to increase service...not cut it. Especially when the current administration was elected on the platform not not cutting services.

This idea that all departments have to cut their budgets by 10% is to continue to support Ford's fantasy of the "gravy train".

Well looks like Fraud is trying his cuts through another tact - board members hand-picked by his cadre and approved "in-camera" by the Civic Appointment Committee, which excaped scrutiny right after the waterfront fiasco. What I am truly curious is who is the board member that put forward this truly asinine idea - the quicker we get that out in the open the better.

AoD

Back