News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

And you thought nothing ever changes in Scarborough eh Lone? Speedy Muffler King used to be on the north side of Eglinton , now its on the south. Take that!!

Must have been an earthquake. :)

I showed the guy at speedy the photo when it was on the north side and since he has worked there for 25 years he pretty much told me I was wrong and it was never there. Touchy Scarberians.

They don't like change at all, it seems!

I really am surprised how little change there's been in the views... but I'll bet the wave of redevelopment going on in North York will move east and Scarborough will really bloom with more high occupancy buildings. It'll be something to see over the next 20 years or so, I think.

Scarborough history (fictionalized) on TV

I have, only today, become aware of a Global-TV series that's just begun: Bomb Girls.
It's a Canadian production obviously based on the history of the WWII munitions plant that was once located in Scarborough (S. of Eglinton, between Warden & Birchmount).
The General Engineering Company (GECO) munitions plant was an amazing complex of buildings and underground tunnels, some of which remain today.
There's much to be found about GECO on the Web.
An interesting place to begin is: http://www.authorsden.com/categories/article_top.asp?catid=17&id=13419

Attachments

• GECO GIRLS.jpg
    GECO GIRLS.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 827
I have, only today, become aware of a Global-TV series that's just begun: Bomb Girls.
It's a Canadian production obviously based on the history of the WWII munitions plant that was once located in Scarborough (S. of Eglinton, between Warden & Birchmount).
The General Engineering Company (GECO) munitions plant was an amazing complex of buildings and underground tunnels, some of which remain today.
There's much to be found about GECO on the Web.
An interesting place to begin is: http://www.authorsden.com/categories/article_top.asp?catid=17&id=13419

Yes, my mother worked there! She put detonator caps on the bombs.
Been watching the series, it's OK, typical Canadian mainstream television.

Note on Eglinton, the old Department of Highways light fixtures (as opposed to Scarborough's jumbo arc-style lighting) on the south side of the street. Eglinton East was for a very short period a King's Highway, number 109. This was just as Metro was formed and ready to build the Eglinton through route through the East and West Don Valley.

I have always found it ironic that the Ponderosa Steakhouse (Eglinton/west of Bellamy) is now the "Toronto Funeral Centre". High cholesterol will get you one way or another.

I have always found it ironic that the Ponderosa Steakhouse (Eglinton/west of Bellamy) is now the "Toronto Funeral Centre". High cholesterol will get you one way or another.

You have a valid point lrookies. I just found out that there used to be a Bobby Orr Pizzareia in between Markham and Cedar in the plaza on the north side. Anybody remember that?

100_0700-1024x768 by TORONTO TONTO, on Flickr

You have a valid point lrookies. I just found out that there used to be a Bobby Orr Pizzareia in between Markham and Cedar in the plaza on the north side. Anybody remember that?

No, but I remember Tim Horton Hamburgers on the south side of Lawrence near Warden.

Back