News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

My neighbourhood has come a long way!

TNCarnaghanFarm.jpg

Goldie, I think you were interested in the 1947 aerial photos on the Toronto Archives site but weren't able to look at them.

McMaster has a set of 1954/55 aerials for Southern Ontario here
http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airphotos/1954_55.htm

The abandoned railway in Scarborough is marked and you can see the 401 under construction.

That is a very handy set of photos!
I have found an anomaly in one of the sections. I was looking at Don Mills rd just as it comes out of the valley. One square on the view seems to be deliberately blurred. But for the life of me I can't figure out why or what might have been there.

Last edited:
That is a very handy set of photos!
I have found an anomaly in one of the sections. I was looking at Don Mills rd just as it comes out of the valley. One square on the view seems to be deliberately blurred. But for the life of me I can't figure out why or what might have been there.

What exactly were you looking at, Goldie? I can see the old bridge, the forks of the Don, the crossing at the RR tracks, and the run up to Eglinton. It all looks clear to me... Maybe your download stalled?

What exactly were you looking at, Goldie? I can see the old bridge, the forks of the Don, the crossing at the RR tracks, and the run up to Eglinton. It all looks clear to me... Maybe your download stalled?

Lone,
Not Goldie just me. Just north of the bridge at what would be the top of the hill. If you zoom in about half way, there is one square that stays blurred. If you zoom all the way in the square gets smaller, but the field on the west side of Don Mills with a series of trails stays blurred out. It's a consistant thing right there. I have found another one as well. At the Oshawa Aerorome (that's how it's spelled on the map) That text blurrs as you zoom into it.

Lone,
Not Goldie just me. Just north of the bridge at what would be the top of the hill. If you zoom in about half way, there is one square that stays blurred. If you zoom all the way in the square gets smaller, but the field on the west side of Don Mills with a series of trails stays blurred out. It's a consistant thing right there. I have found another one as well. At the Oshawa Aerorome (that's how it's spelled on the map) That text blurrs as you zoom into it.

D'oh! Sorry for the mistaken I.D.

Hmm, I'm trying what you said, in the area you said, zooming in and out by steps, but it's all clear for me. Maybe you need to refresh, or close down your browser and restart. I'm not seeing what you are. Or at least, I'm not seeing anything that makes me feel like part of the image is compromised. I wish it were easier to post images on UT; I could show you what I'm seeing.

But I understand what you're talking about, though. Sometimes I have that problem with GoogleMaps. My solution has been to shut down the browser (sometimes you have to kill the process, too) and restart. I can't think of a time that didn't lick it. Your mileage may vary. :)

D'oh! Sorry for the mistaken I.D.

Hmm, I'm trying what you said, in the area you said, zooming in and out by steps, but it's all clear for me. Maybe you need to refresh, or close down your browser and restart. I'm not seeing what you are. Or at least, I'm not seeing anything that makes me feel like part of the image is compromised. I wish it were easier to post images on UT; I could show you what I'm seeing.

But I understand what you're talking about, though. Sometimes I have that problem with GoogleMaps. My solution has been to shut down the browser (sometimes you have to kill the process, too) and restart. I can't think of a time that didn't lick it. Your mileage may vary. :)

I'll try at home later tonight. Sometimes I get access issues here at work. Our internet servers are south of the border and It appears that I am accessing sites from the U.S.
It certainly is a very very good reference site! Puts all of the Pottery road, Leaside, Eglinton extension, Old Yonge, Leslie St, North York General Hospital, etc, talk in perspective.

Edit: It's all clear here at home. I wonder if it is an out of country access thing?

Last edited:
Lone,

I had the same problem - I just slowed down the zoom a bit.

Goldie, I think you were interested in the 1947 aerial photos on the Toronto Archives site but weren't able to look at them.

McMaster has a set of 1954/55 aerials for Southern Ontario here
http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airphotos/1954_55.htm

The abandoned railway in Scarborough is marked and you can see the 401 under construction.

Thanks for that link, Anna.
Most useful!
I'll be studying those maps, for sure.

Nice find. There's lots of interesting things: Don Mills under construction. Work just starting on the Eglinton Avenue extension through the Don Valley, work started on the 401, just too many little things to mention.

I know in the left photo that is where Ellesmere ended at approximately Orton Park Goldie but did it hook up at that point with Military Trail?

According to the City Service map from the late 1950s I have, yes, it did... although Military Trail was called Danforth Road at the time, believe it or not. I've seen maps that call it "Old Danforth Road" more recently. How about that. :)

Back