Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Theistic/Believer in a spirit but not necessarily religion

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Religiously Theistic/Follower of a specific doctrine or religion

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
This thread needs an image
bob_dobbs.jpg

praise bob! for his drill bits penetrate the walls of ignorance but hail eris! for those who like to partake a tasty hot dog on friday*

* but throw away the bun for it is a reminder of the original snub.

Is one brand of crazy or another worthy of study? I used to find the notion of learning about religions appealing, but I have since realised it's all a bullshit smokescreen for hypocrisy.

As far as I'm concerned, religion belongs in the closet, or at least in the privacy of your home. Didn't Jesus say not to give alms in public, and to pray in secret? What do 'Christians' do? They jump up and down in their Sunday best screaming "Look at me! Look at me!" between cries of 'Praise Jeeez-hus'.

Sorry -- ex-Catholic. Makes you a bit bitter.

Tripled

Nowadays, I see religion in the same way I see mythology. Is it possible something like it exists? Maybe. But right now it isn't reality. We have stuff that works and can be grasped by our "feeble minds" and it does much better than some old musty books written by people who have the equivalent IQ of a 13 year old in modern times (assuming both coming from an afluent background).

Only thing we can salvage from religion are the philisophical parts of it which have long been repackaged as /gasp philosophy, making sense of the human condition from a human perspective.

The only possible thing I could even remotely call myself "religious" is on the notion of pure and simple luck.

The Darwin exhibition at the ROM does a nice, if subtle, job of keeping the creationist right wingers in their place.

Back